Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car Upsolutely Won't Run...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005 | 05:57 PM
Big Carrot
Banned

Angry My Car Upsolutely Won't Run...

Coulda, shoulda, woulda! I decided to save a couple of bucks and try out the Usolute tuning since I had several people tell me it was great on their cars. My car won't run now! I start it, and after a minute or so it just dies! I drove it down the road and when I wrapped out second it shut down and threw the PSM light and the ABS light. Any idea what might be wrong? I tried resetting the throttle body, and disconnecting the battery, but niether helped. This sucks!
Old 07-22-2005 | 06:30 PM
Laura
Pro

Before you chase down too many roads, find someone with the PST, read out specifics on those codes, and find out the times and frequency that the codes have faulted since the tuning was done and the light illuminated. The system will continue to record fault times until the system is cleared.
Old 07-22-2005 | 08:42 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

GET RID OF THE TUNING!!!!!!!!!!!GO BACK STOCK AND RESEARCH THE OTHER TUNERS.GOOD LUCK.
Old 07-22-2005 | 11:06 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

I love it , afterall you were the expert on the subject of Ruf , GIAC etc are "rip off's", lol , at least there ECU's run ..........
Old 07-22-2005 | 11:13 PM
Zippy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
I love it , afterall you were the expert on the subject of Ruf , GIAC etc are "rip off's", lol , at least there ECU's run ..........
Hey Pole - You referring to Big Carrot dissn' my GIAC brothers? Sorry to hear your car is broke Carrot. What are you going to do now?
Old 07-23-2005 | 01:31 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Big Carrot
Coulda, shoulda, woulda! I decided to save a couple of bucks and try out the Usolute tuning since I had several people tell me it was great on their cars. My car won't run now! I start it, and after a minute or so it just dies! I drove it down the road and when I wrapped out second it shut down and threw the PSM light and the ABS light. Any idea what might be wrong? I tried resetting the throttle body, and disconnecting the battery, but niether helped. This sucks!
Sorry your car is broken, NOOB.
Then again, you mouthed off to me (and other's) complaining about how much of a rip off RUF, GAIC and others are.
It's all about treading softly and learning eh?
Steve
Old 07-23-2005 | 04:46 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My guess would be poor soldering Hence a bad connection and cutting out... Just a guess but I've seen some poor soldering in my time Hopefully you don't need a new ECU.....
Old 07-23-2005 | 11:03 AM
Big Carrot
Banned

Originally Posted by pole position
Thanks for the help, **** smack! I said Ruf was overpriced, and that hasn't changed since last week. If I can get my ECU to run as much as your diarrhea of the mouth infested yapper, I'll be in great shape.
Old 07-23-2005 | 11:12 AM
Big Carrot
Banned

Originally Posted by rbcsaver
Sorry your car is broken, NOOB.
Then again, you mouthed off to me (and other's) complaining about how much of a rip off RUF, GAIC and others are.
It's all about treading softly and learning eh?
Steve

Please read the first line of your signature. I never said ANYTHING about GAIC, and I never bashed GIAC either. I just thought if I could get my car tuned locally for 25% of what GIAC charges and end up with similar results, it was worth a shot. I'm sure they'll fix the problem and give me a nice discount. Hopefully I'll end up with 70 or 80 hp for about what you paid for that fake gold tooth that you wear. Tread softly? Nah, it looks like I'll be learning the hard way. Thanks for the advice, sport!
Old 07-23-2005 | 12:09 PM
Big Carrot
Banned

Originally Posted by sharkster
My guess would be poor soldering Hence a bad connection and cutting out... Just a guess but I've seen some poor soldering in my time Hopefully you don't need a new ECU.....

I'm hoping that's what the problem is. It seems to cut out intermittently. Hopefully it won't be a big deal.
Old 07-23-2005 | 01:03 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Let's all chill out a bit. It sucks when a fellow P-car owner is having troubles. It sounds like a connection problem somewhere (chip or ECU). Hope it works out. If you learn anything, let us know.
Old 07-23-2005 | 01:14 PM
ebaker
Pro

Go to Autozone (if it runs) and get the codes read. It may be an unreleated issue such as MAF, fuel pump/filter, loose hose, etc.
Old 07-23-2005 | 03:18 PM
Big Carrot
Banned

Thanks for the USEFUL replies, guys. My guess is that Sharkster has is right. The Upsolute guy is picking my PCM up tomorrow to check it out. Curbside service isn't bad.
Old 07-23-2005 | 03:21 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm hoping that's what the problem is. It seems to cut out intermittently. Hopefully it won't be a big deal.
Actually I thought of something else. A bad contact of bent pin on the backside of the ECU. This can happen when you physically take the ECU out and plug it back in. These things can be so touchy... On the other side, soldering those things used to be such a chore so I'm glad these days you don't need to take the ECU out anymore and can flash through the OBDII port.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know but that's all I can think of...
Old 07-23-2005 | 03:51 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sounds more like a cold solder joint. The joint doesn't solder all the way to the board and gives a small airline crack. The ECU gets hot, the joint expands and the connection is lost. This is often an issue when the soldered is dragged across the connections rather than individually solder. Alex has witness right and wrong way when I was in San Jose doing his several years ago. We no longer have to solder anything. This as been a reoccurring issue with some other brands.

Quick Reply: My Car Upsolutely Won't Run...