Sponsored by:

WOW (re: bad link/picture)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW (re: bad link/picture)

To everyone who saw that pic, I am sorry. It made me sick as well.

This is what happened. I wanted to make a clever reference to the movie Office Space where Bill Lumbergh parks his Porsche and can't walk away without looking at it the whole time. I feel like that when I park mine.

So, for my post, I said I didn't want to look like Bill Lumbergh, and did a quick Google Image search on "Bill Lumbergh"

I found one of Bill Lumbergh (the character) and referenced the link.
Somehow, it turned into disgusting ****!
As Robert pointed out, you can refresh and it will alternate between that and the Office Space picture I was trying to reference.
I have no idea why or how, but I'm sorry about the outcome. In all the years using pictures for posts from other sites, I've never seen one that does anything like that.

Anyway, just a warning for others who may want to link to a random pic. Make sure it's static and on a reputable server. I didn't do either of those checks, and it punished all of us who had to see that horrid thing.

Scott
Old 07-08-2005, 01:02 AM
nash
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some sites will serve up a "denied" or "dont hotlink" graphic when you try to hotlink their graphics, to prevent unnecessary load on their server. Guess this guy decided it would be funnier to randomly have it show grandpa-on-grandpa **** instead. Better to download the picture, then upload it, in the future instead of hotlinking It's more courteous to the other person too, whose bandwidth bill you are running up (though that usually doesn't really matter).
Old 07-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. Lesson learned.

I don't usually hot link much, and for this small pic and a relatively small thread, I didn't think bandwidth would be an issue.

In all the years I've been doing these forums, I've never seen anything like that. What gets me is how would someone have that particular kind of pic to make the 'funny' thing to do for a hot link? I mean... he had to have it and keep it for that to be setup. What a sick bast#$%.

I have my own site that I'm going to use for hotlinking from now on. No more bumming off of other sites!

Quick Reply: WOW (re: bad link/picture)