Sponsored by:

2002 Becker Stereo POS head units

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 06:21 PM
NC Bob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Becker Stereo POS head units

Well, I'm finally tired of my Becker unit in my 2002 996TT. I have XM and an iPod and I want to install a head unit that can accommodate all of the above without using an unused FM station as a way of broadcasting them thru the Becker. Here's the catch...Does somebody make a head unit that is compatible with the 996TT CD changer? I would like to keep that functional along with the Ipod and XM. TIA.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:04 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

try the mc intosh Mx 406 it has an aux in that can be split for the ipod and xm with an A/B switch and an optical input for the CD changer, should set you back about 1000- 1200, I use the MX 406 in my 930 only true audiophile recognize the value of the McIntosh and most question its application in a mobile environment.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:15 PM
NC Bob
Instructor

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be happy you have the CDR-22 not the CDR-23 (found in MY2003 and after models). the latter is wired into the car so much you have to tear out the amp and all the speakers to replace it.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:26 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 02 TT as well and want to add XM radio but I just want to change the head unit. Alpine came out with a head unit with built in XM CDA9820XM http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...cda-9820xm.htm Can I just replace the factory head unit, are there any issues connecting with the Bose system?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:37 PM
NC Bob
Instructor

Originally Posted by BG
I have an 02 TT as well and want to add XM radio but I just want to change the head unit. Alpine came out with a head unit with built in XM CDA9820XM http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...cda-9820xm.htm Can I just replace the factory head unit, are there any issues connecting with the Bose system?
I understand that the Alpine is compatible with all the 996 components except the CD changer for '02 and earlier. I have XM with the Becker in my '02 TT and, in order to use it, I must broadcast thru an unused FM station. Sometimes it works fine. Other times I get static. I'm ready to bite the bullet and get another head unit with XM built in. I won't be able to use the CD changer, but all the good stuff is on my iPod so I won't need it. And the new head unit should have a single CD player.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:38 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

NC Bob Why won't Alpine's head unit control the OE CD changer, the literature on the Alpine unit states that it can control a CD changer, is it the OE changer thats the problem?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Bashy
Advanced

Default '03 TT CDR-23 system

I just added the CDC-4 cd changer to my system in a '03 TT. The '03 has a fibre optic system which connects all the components together. It is called the MOST fibre system. Hence if you change the head unit alone it will not be possible to connect the head unit to the existing amplifier. You, as I understand it, will have to change everything, head unit, amplifier, cd changer. If you want to change the head unit, as the components installed all use the MOST system to [speak] to each other there will be a problem. In other words you change one piece you must get rid of the MOST fibre optic system that connects it all together, and use a new system to connect it all together. Good Luck. I just realized you have a 2002 TT. THIS WILL NOT APPLY TO YOU. ONLY 2003 CARS AND NEWER.

Attn: BG If you have the factory cd changer then it is a Becker unit. The Apline head unit will control a Alpine CD changer not a Becker CD changer. The language is different. So Alpine head unit means you must use a Alpine CD changer. Note: I am not a car stereo expert but I have had installed some good systems in my cars over the years. To connect to the amplifier from the head unit you might have some problems with connectors at the back of the head unit, Becker use a type of connector called DIN [I think] and Alpine use maybe RCA type. Other than that you would have to make sure the output [voltage] from the Alpine head unit would be compatible with the existing amplifier. Good Luck.

Last edited by Bashy; 04-27-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:20 AM
NC Bob
Instructor

Originally Posted by BG
NC Bob Why won't Alpine's head unit control the OE CD changer, the literature on the Alpine unit states that it can control a CD changer, is it the OE changer thats the problem?
I've had several conversations with stereo experts and they say that there is not a head unit on the market that will work with the Porsche CD changer. Right now, I'm more concerned about a directly connected XM and iPod. I've had it with using an FM station to broadcast thru the Becker.
You would think that for $125K, Porsche would install state-of-the-art stereo equipment.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:25 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Apparently I have to do some more research. Thanks for the input. Why can't it ever be easy.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Pete C
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 67 Posts

BG-
I was in the car audio business for 13 years. Glad to help, let me know.
Pete
Old 05-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

There is not one. I just did this. My new Alpine head unit takes MP3 CD's though, and that's the equivalent of 11 or 12 CD's, so I don't miss my changer AT ALL.

Also, I have Sirius built into the head unit. It rules.

Just get an Alpine and forget about the changer.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:22 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

That's a good point about the mp3 player. I have to check the output voltage of the Alpine and the connecter type to make sure it works with the Bose amp. Once I got sattelite radio in my Audi I no longer listen to regular radio so I have to have it in the Porsche.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Scott_in_Houston
Instructor

BG,

I'm no audio guy, but I let some experts do it here for me, and I don't think they did any modifications to make it work w/ the Bose. In fact, it sounds better than the Becker unit did.

All that was put in was the Alpine head unit and a Sirius box to hook into it. The Sirius piece is not visible of course.

The unit I have is the Alpine CDA-9831.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:29 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Infotainment design for all MY02 and earlier Porsches were based on good old fashioned copper wire. Line level audio interfaces between components that any audio shop can deal with.
The Bose amplifier in the MY02 vehicle is no exception. You can connect the outputs of any analog headunit to it and you are all set.

As Moogle stated, MY03 and later Porsches have an infotainment system based on plastic fiber optics connecting everything together (it's called MOST....and has been discussed in the Cayenne forum many times).
With this, there are currently ZERO aftermarket, non-OEM components you can add.
Your only option in this case is to rip out the headunit, amp, CDChanger, leave the fiber optics dangling and hook up all new components with copper wire.

Quick Reply: 2002 Becker Stereo POS head units