Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comprehensive AWE Dyno Day Results, Experimental KPV Intake and Majo Clutch Slippage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:08 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comprehensive AWE Dyno Day Results, Experimental KPV Intake and Majo Clutch Slippage!

After our morning breakfast, coffee, OJ and chat at Panera Bread, we high tailed it down to AWE for some dyno fun. Our little caravan consisted of me, Ron (Vipertestarossa), Bill (BCS996TT), Chris (Rockitman), Dave (Dave) and Mark (MarkL). We arrived at AWE at about 9:30am and were cordially welcomed.

Before I continue, I want to express my personal thanks to Todd, Mike and Tom and Brian at AWE for hosting this event, providing refreshments and being all-around nice guys.

The following dyno sessions were performed on a Mustang four wheel drive dynamometer. All comparisons were also done on the same machine, albeit at different times of the year. All values are peak readings. Now, onto the good stuff……

Rockitman

Since his last dyno session last year, Chris added a Europipe exhaust and BMC air filter to his GT3.

Last year’s Stock Setup:
348 rear wheel horsepower
262 foot pounds rear wheel torque

This dyno session with the Europipe exhaust and BMC filter:
373 rear wheel horsepower
282 foot pounds rear wheel torque

Congratulations Chris!! 25 hp and 20 ft-lbs of torque increases!!!!!! That is even better than Europipe’s claims!

BCS996TT

Since Bill’s last dyno, wherein he used the canned Upsolute program and stock K16 turbos, he has changed turbos and has changed to an upgraded Upsolute program.

Last year’s Setup:
437 four wheel horsepower
??? foot pounds four wheel torque

This dyno session with the listed changes:
496 four wheel horsepower
490 foot pounds four wheel torque

During my exploration into modifications of the intake system (see my results below for more information), I discovered a potential modification to the stock airbox that could equate to possible power improvement. This “potential” performance modification entails the removal of the airflow converter insert. I came up with that name, but it tells the story. As Todd (AWE owner) explained to us (thank you Todd!), the insert is used to convert potentially turbulent airflow coming from the airbox’s odd shape and configuration to a more laminar flow in preparation for its path across the mass air flow sensor. The following photo shows the stock airbox and the location of this insert.

Although the purpose, as described by Todd, is to smoothen the airflow, there is no denying its blocking effect. It is a partially solid object in the airflow path. I calculated the area reduction of this insert and it amounts to 8.34%. So, the big question was whether the removal of this insert, and its 8+% blocking effect, would increase or decrease power.

We decided to try an A>B comparison on Bill’s car. So, immediately following his normal two runs, Ron, Bill and I jumped into action and removed the box, opened it up and removed the insert. We then ran two more dyno tests.

With the insert removed, we obtained the following results:

493 four wheel horsepower
XXX foot pounds four wheel torque

So, it looks like the insert really doesn’t add horsepower with the stock airbox in place.

Congratulations Bill!! Those are some excellent increases!! And remember, keep that laptop tethered to the car!!!

KPV

During my last dyno session, I had K24 turbos, Stainless Steel headers, GIAC Stage 4 programming, K&N air filter and Europipe Stage 2 Loud exhaust. This setup yielded the following results:

505 four wheel horsepower
486 foot pounds four wheel torque

Since my last dyno, I added the Gemballa third intercooler, the GIAC Stage 4 Race program and my experimental intake. I ran Sunoco GT100, 100 octane fuel, for this dyno test and had the program set to race fuel mode. The third intercooler is self explanatory and clearly visible in the photos, but the intake is not.

The intake is shown below. I was interested in the EVO intake but it simply will not work with my 3rd intercooler. So, as the saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention!

This dyno session with these latest changes yielded:
507 four wheel horsepower
506 foot pounds four wheel torque
Old 04-17-2005, 06:09 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so, anti-climatic.

So what gives??? I suspected the 3rd intercooler may actually reduce my power slightly due to the increased friction the air must undergo on its way to the throttle body, but I thought the GIAC Stage 4R program and the KPV intake would surely yield better results. Yes, I am disappointed. Does anyone know exactly what hp and tq increases I am supposed to expect running the Stage 4R program?

The intake incorporates a velocity stack and, since it uses a cone filter, drawing air from around its circumference, I wouldn’t expect turbulent airflow across the MAF and hence the elimination of the insert screen mentioned earlier shouldn’t have an adverse impact.

I really think the Stage 4R programming may not be performing correctly. I would appreciate input. The torque went up appreciably though. I realized a 20 foot pound peak torque increase.

Hmmmmmmm. Please post your thoughts regarding this matter.

Vipertestarossa (aka: Ron “Big Dog” Brown)

This was Ron’s first dyno session with his yellow beast. He has his car loaded up with the goodies. His performance list includes GIAC Stage 4GTR programming, 104 octane race fuel, Garrett turbos, BMC air filter, airbox insert removed, ceramic coated headers, Cargraphic exhaust and EVO heavy duty intake hoses.

Unfortunately, Ron’s first dyno run suffered massive clutch slip. We first thought it was wheel spin, but the tell-tale smell of clutch lining straightened out any doubts. Brian (AWE’s dyno expert) ran up and down through the gears to try to reseat the clutch disc and/or de-glaze the surfaces and then they performed the test again. Remember, this is the stock clutch and pressure plate. Two tests were done that yielded satisfactory, yet not extraordinary results…….

550 four wheel horsepower
529 foot pounds four wheel torque

Ron, marginally happy after the two tests…

I am not sure what the horsepower and torque output should be for theGIAC Stage 4GTR kit. In addition, the mere fact that the car’s clutch slipped on the first attempt means to me that the car’s clutch may have undergone some unknown degree of slippage during the two “successful” pulls.

As I understand it, Ron will be installing an upgraded clutch and then re-dyno-ing the car. Good luck to you buddy and congratulations on the best run of the day!!

Quick Reply: Comprehensive AWE Dyno Day Results, Experimental KPV Intake and Majo Clutch Slippage!