Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Recall#W208000 Update PCM Software?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Malibusteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Recall#W208000 Update PCM Software?

I am in the process of purchasing an '01 996TT. The vechile history indicates
a recent Porsche Service Recall #W208000 "Update PCM Software". Is anyone aware of such recall? If so, what does it require and does it have any effect on the actual value of the car?

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2005, 02:15 PM
aj02996tt
Advanced

PCM stands for Porsche Communication Management. It refers to the navigation system and its iterface with the on-board computer. . .basically putting data in your display and center console.

Updates to the software in this computer system should have absolutely no impact on the value of the vehicles. These updates are fed to the system- the physical system has not been replaced.

The biggest factor that effects the value of 996 Turbos, especially '01 and '02 models and least of all GT2s, is sheer production numbers. Thousands of 996 Turbos have been built. With a new model on the way and an economy that for many has not recovered, we have a classic example of high supply and somewhat reduced demand. Given your experience with Porsches, I'm sure you know most of what I'm conveying. Nonetheless, the 996TT of all production years has proven to be a fabulous car. Enjoy your new toy!
Old 04-17-2005, 09:21 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The production numbers of tt's have been negatively referneced in relationship to resale values. But, if lower numbers had been produced, would not actual original sales prices have been higher? Seems to me that demand met supply at the list price point, and the subsequent general softness of the economy has impacted resale values of everything except real estate. Even that is probably a reflection of low long term rates and fear of the market, as opposed to consumer confidence.
Even with the "over-production" my dealer offered me $10,000 not to take my X50 in February '02, suggesting that the market was still in the demand mode at that time. A lot has changed in 3 years. AS
Old 04-18-2005, 10:01 AM
aj02996tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
The production numbers of tt's have been negatively referneced in relationship to resale values. But, if lower numbers had been produced, would not actual original sales prices have been higher? Seems to me that demand met supply at the list price point, and the subsequent general softness of the economy has impacted resale values of everything except real estate. Even that is probably a reflection of low long term rates and fear of the market, as opposed to consumer confidence.
Even with the "over-production" my dealer offered me $10,000 not to take my X50 in February '02, suggesting that the market was still in the demand mode at that time. A lot has changed in 3 years. AS
Yes, my friend, much has changed. My first Turbo, an '02 that I purchased in 10/01, wasn't the one that I ordered. It came in a few months earlier than mine, ordered by a buyer who's financial priorities changed. The dealer's sales manager offered me $5K off of MSRP, which was pretty unusual at the time, so I took it. There was still a 6-12 month wait to order in Dallas.

Today there are, without doubt, fewer people in the US who can afford these cars than just a few years ago. Still, while a lower production number would've raised MSRP, it might well have helped resale value too.

Quick Reply: Porsche Recall#W208000 Update PCM Software?