sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Ya mean like this?

http://www.akkuratpgi.com/products.php?pid=19

I did actually use the one with the rubber seal... EVO really did a great job on this one guys.

It doesn't take more than two minutes if you have a good front end Stephen I threw something up there the day I got mine. 15 minutes to put on, two minutes to snap a picture and transfer it to my laptop and then whip a page up was another two minutes.. I love technology!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:19 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alex, Dock is talking about another seal. All the units come with the one you are referring to. He was in question of another section of the unit.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Alex, Dock is talking about another seal. All the units come with the one you are referring to. He was in question of another section of the unit.
Ahhhh ok.... It's funny on the big dog turbos it kind/sorta shrieks a bit under high boost situations. Pretty cool...
Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Must be your setup difference. On the cars we have done I haven't really noticed any more audible noise then the original set up. The long the intake runner is the more that acts as a baffle. So in reality as it pulls the same distance the sound volume remains the same.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:34 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I also get a lot more "noise/feedback" from the DVs if ya know what I mean Not exacly BOV style but still kinda cool.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:38 AM
aj02996tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stephen, I think the intake looks great. I believe that your dyno gains are real, but not due to any venturi or "ram-air" effect. Probably the gains you're seeing are due to a less restrictive filter system and higher efficiency of getting cooler ambient air into the intake where the intercoolers and turbos can do their thing- had to edit here after remembering Boyle's Law. . .

Taking it a step further, I have a question. On the underside of the rear decklid is the plastic piece that holds the fan and the air intake opening. I always wondered, if someone fabricated a new decklid underside with the fan moved to the left a little and a larger air intake opening, if we would see any power gains. Has anyone done this?

Great work btw.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by aj02996tt
On the underside of the rear decklid is the plastic piece that holds the fan and the air intake opening. I always wondered, if someone fabricated a new decklid underside with the fan moved to the left a little and a larger air intake opening, if we would see any power gains.
Great question.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It is not because of the overall flow. There have been those that have tried similar setups with not a single gain. We have even cut the box off and left nothing but the snout out and have gotten zero gains. The design is something used on other Porsches. Look at the cup cars. Ever notice what they run

The direct stream of air is a two way street. To much forced air and wrong placement of the MAF and the system will loose power. It does not like to deal with much pressure at all. BTDT. You wouldn't think that it would be that sensitive. But it is.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:53 PM
aj02996tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
It is not because of the overall flow. There have been those that have tried similar setups with not a single gain. We have even cut the box off and left nothing but the snout out and have gotten zero gains. The design is something used on other Porsches. Look at the cup cars. Ever notice what they run

The direct stream of air is a two way street. To much forced air and wrong placement of the MAF and the system will loose power. It does not like to deal with much pressure at all. BTDT. You wouldn't think that it would be that sensitive. But it is.
Thanks. BTW Sharkster was complaining about the MAF too. . .one of y'all needs to make an aftermarket, less sensitive unit. . .lambda sensors too so that we can ditch the cats.

Quick Reply: Real world numbers on new Intake for TT