Sponsored by:

Suspension and lowering

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Tom in San Diego
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension and lowering

With the great help and information on this forum I have bought an '02 996tt. LOVE IT!! This was a big change for me since I have owned 5 series BMW's for 20 years including a '01 M5. I have always "personalized" my cars by changing the suspension, exhaust, wheels and tires. The M5 has KW coilovers and rides comparable to stock but did improve handling. I like the stock ride of the tt but would like to lower it by an inch. I have clients that have installed H&R springs only and have not encountered any problems. Though, I have heard the H&R springs will negatively effect the shocks eventually. Will PSS9's or other packages stiffen the ride? Will the H&R springs hurt the stock shocks? I'm not that interested in tracking , at least that's what I say right now. This car will be my everyday driver. The goal is to lower the suspension, retain the stock ride and add 19" wheels. Your input is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-29-2005, 04:24 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Try porsche ROW springs which are stock for the rest of world. They are about 20mm and 10 mm lower F&R. and are slightly stiffer than your US springs.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 PM
santicua
Instructor

I would not recommend getting just the H&R springs. I had them on my car for a while and the ride is defnitely harsher than stock. A lot more bouncy. I eventually swapped it for the PSS9 system and am very happy with it. Ride is comparable to stock and handing is imporoved. Great thing is that you can adjust the damping on the shocks releatively easily.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:21 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I am in the same boat as you. I can;t stand the 4x4 look of the car.

Can you just order the ROW springs or does it require additional parts (shocks, etc.)? Also, how does it compare in price to the Pss9?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 03-29-2005, 10:57 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom: FYI-- a lowered suspension and 19s aren't an ideal combo. You end up losing some of the handling benefit due to the 19s. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...threadid=24108
Old 03-30-2005, 12:20 AM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Springs are only part of a complete suspension package in my humble opinion. If you can afford the 996TT you can afford to do it right and buy a complete suspension package. Choices (in my book) given your statement about probably not tracking the car would be Porsche's latest Euro suspension, or the PSS9's.

Get the suspension; align, and corner balance the car and enjoy!
Old 03-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Tom in San Diego
Track Day

Yes, I agree about the doing it right and the overall concensus is PSS9's, which allows me the flexibilty of height and ride issues. As far as the 19's go I like they way they look however I do not want to sacrifice the ride quality.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:58 PM
Tom in San Diego
Track Day

Also, I'm still trying to find tt's out there with after market exhausts so I can hear it for myself. Anybody in Southern Califonia?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

OK Tom.........'you like the way the 19s look'.......yet some of us seem to be trying to talk you out of them. What it is that you like about the way they look?

As others have said (in so many words) keeping original ride.... with lower suspension(done correctly).... and then also adding 19s..........well, that all is not going to add up.
If you mess with the OE suspension (and you should).......do it in a 'tunable' way......so you you can 'adjust' the desired ride height, rake, corner balance.
On the ride.....simple mechanics. If you lower and lessen suspension travel, you tighten the ride

Now...if you just ad lowering springs.... it will start up and drive down the road OK........but.

Back on the 19s.........I have them.......the 315 rubber on the back is expensive, I've repaired one bent rim, I dart right/left to avoid bumps, the ride is rough (I love it ).
But my track tires are 18s w/Sport Cups........hardly anyone would expect full handling potential from this car w/19s....and that tells you what?.......for me, the 19s are my show & fun wheels (winter I have 17s ).

Anyway......you asked for input....there ya go.........So, think your mods through & think through what you will expect from the car.

Above all, enjoy your new car.......get out and drive it.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:23 AM
greyghost
Instructor

I have JIC by CROSS thanks to ImagineAuto and Technical Dimensions and after it got all dialed in it was awesome. You can go the cheap route with H&R springs for a much better look and marginally improved performance for under $750 installed or go nuts with Motons for around $7500 installed... and about a dozen choices in between.

I have the JICs and RDH has the PSS9... two options in the sea of choices. Good Luck.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2005, 06:06 AM
Initial_E
Track Day

GreyGhost: What kind of rims are they? They look very nice.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:24 AM
greyghost
Instructor

They are AVUS AF-501s. A 3-piece forged rim with chrome lip. AVUS is in Miami and they are very knowledgable and friendly. The wheel is of exceptional quality and loook even better in person. There are intricate details you don't see at a distance but can see in this close-up, like the grooves on the spokes... very cool.
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2005, 11:22 AM
Initial_E
Track Day

They look very nice. I think I would get a set for my TT. What size and offset are they? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:25 AM
greyghost
Instructor

WWW.AVUSWHEELS.COM

Quick Reply: Suspension and lowering