Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revisiting the "do you cool your turbo down"

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 AM
t urbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whilst i totally agree that you should allow a minute to cool the turbos after a good run, in the UK the handbook says otherwise!
I had an 02 tt and in the handbook all it said was to let the engine stabilize before shutting down.
I now have an 04 X50 and the handbook says nothing about letting the enging idle or stabilize. Infact all it bangs on about is how quickly you should drive off after starting.
Surely Porsche must be pretty confident of there product otherwise they would state a cool down period in the handbook?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
aj02996tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by solsavr
Excuse my ignorance, but why not install a turbo-timer, set it for two minutes, and walk away if you want? I assume that an aftermarket one can be installed?

Just curious...seriouly looking at a 02TT to replave my 03 C4S, and this is what i will do if you can!
I don't know if anyone has installed a turbo timer (a better name for these would be shut down delays but I didn't name the things) on a 996TT. I'm not sure the Bosch system would react well to it.

IMNSHO, crap, we're sitting in cars that others dream of. . .enjoy the end of the song you're listening to, check your PDA messages, check the oil and a minute or two is passed. I dunno, I worked too f'ing hard to pay for the beast to not take good care of her and treat her at least as good as her parents asked me to.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

Can someone confirm that Porsche omitted the cool down period in the manual in '04 Stateside? Same turbochargers, same engine.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:23 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Here is the page out of a 2004 996TT manual.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

wross, it's page 61, correct?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:16 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Actually mine is on page 65! WKD 996 221 04 is the part number. Here is a rotated version.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:01 AM
mmcmilla
Advanced

For those having trouble reading the scanned image, the 04 manual says, "Do not stop engine immediately after hard or extended driving. Keep engine running at increased idle for about two minutes to prevent excessive heat build-up before turning off engine."

I don't doubt the expert mechanics contributing to this forum, but Porsche's rather tepid, single comment on page 65 of the manual (limiting the recommendation only after "hard" or "extended driving") does not convey the same urgency or importance as the many contributing to this and other threads. And while we all know that most Porsche dealers' service managers and techs have less than optimal knowledge, not only has no one at my dealership mentioned to me the need for a cool-down, but when queried, the Porsche service manager specifically told me no cool-down was required. "Just drive it," he told me, "You don't need to do anything different with this car."

For those that say you need to cool down every time you drive the car, citing the manual as their source, they're wrong. That does not appear to be Porsche's position in the manual or otherwise. The short blurb in the manual isn't even in BOLD type or under a "CAUTION" banner, like other information Porsche apparently considers important. My comments, however, do not mean that I doubt the experts (i.e., mechanics, not pundits) on this forum. But why doesn't Porsche give this issue higher priority?

Like several others commenting on this and related cool-down threads, I find it hard to let the engine "run at an increased idle" for two minutes everytime I go somewhere in my car. While many suggest tt owners should just chill and bask in the glory of their cars as the turbos likewise chill, I feel I'm constantly enjoying and basking. I drive my car every day. To take the kids to school (4 miles aways); to my office (5 miles away); to the market and video store (1 mile away); and on extended drives for business and pleasure.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:30 PM
t urbo
Intermediate

Strange how the manual for the USA recommends a cool down period yet the UK manual says nothing.
Maybe we get the better engines so dont require cooldowns.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Of course in the US our legal system requires manufacturers to CYA everywhere. In the UK they know you don't follow (or read) directions well anyway Just kidding.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcmilla
For those that say you need to cool down every time you drive the car, citing the manual as their source, they're wrong.

Like several others commenting on this and related cool-down threads, I find it hard to let the engine "run at an increased idle" for two minutes everytime I go somewhere in my car.
Drivers who cool down every time they drive, based in the owner's manual, aren't "wrong" if they consider their drives either "hard" or "extended". Engine cool down is a *heat* issue, and the length of the cool down should be based on how much heat the driver thinks has been generated by the engine. I personally cood down a minimum of 45 seconds if the engine has only been at operating temperature for a very short time, and I go two minutes in all other situations.

As for finding the time to accomplish the cool down, I find it just as easy to sit for two minutes in my garage or at a parking spot as I do to sit at a stoplight for two minutes.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:26 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Since the predicitions of turbo death fall within the warranty period, why wouldn't Porsche add this a readable event on the DME? I'm still waiting for the onslaught of distraught owners of cars with failed turbos.
The photos of burned shafts have come with no descriptions of car use or mods. The assumption is that more cooling would have prevented the burned shafts, but there is no evidence of the connection in non-tracked cars.
I have no criticism of "coolers". It just makes no sense to me that neither the service reps, mechanics, or manual make a big deal of it. If it caused failure within the first 4 years, where are the warranty claims?
The converse has also not been proven- cool down leads to long turbo life. Pierre's experience suggests that long turbo life is related to not cooling down- or is unrelated to the issue altogether. AS
Old 04-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
It just makes no sense to me that neither the service reps, mechanics, or manual make a big deal of it.
How big a deal do you think the manual should make? My owner's manual recommends the cool down, but I'd cool down even if Porsche didn't recommend it because the cool down makes sense to me.

In my opinion, the cool down recommendation by Porsche must be pretty darn important, because given their "green" approach to things, you'd think there would be no way they'd recommend sitting at idle for two minutes spewing out all those contaminates. One of the reasons Porsche recommends driving as soon as you start the car is *because* of air pollution, so for them to recommend a cool down has to be a hard pill to swallow...must be pretty important in their minds.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:59 AM
solsavr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
One of the reasons Porsche recommends driving as soon as you start the car is *because* of air pollution.
Wow...Really? Isn't this a bad idea?
I have always let my cars warm up for at least a min or 2.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solsavr
Wow...Really? Isn't this a bad idea?
I have always let my cars warm up for at least a min or 2.
I think it's a bad idea to drive right off with a "cold" engine, so I don't take Porsche's recommendation.

I idle warm up my Turbo to at least 130 degrees water temperature prior to driving.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alexander, I have 5 sets of turbochargers (K16's and K24's) to tear down this week. 3 of the 5 are in for upgrades and 2 are in for upgrades, but are leakers.. I will post the results.. One of them is an X50 with no mods except an exhaust..

Quick Reply: Revisiting the "do you cool your turbo down"