Sponsored by:

996 TT, search the history, still a few more questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 03:27 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 TT, search the history, still a few more questions

I have owned a Porsche for about 6 months, buying a 01' C4. Love the car, but its definitely not the Porsche I want to own forever!

So, before I go hog wild upgrading suspension, changing the front and rear to fix this high speed floating sensation, etc... I figured it might just be smarter to buy a TT. This as there are some very good deals out there today. Also, with the different engine, no RMS to worry about in the future.

So, here are the questions:
Owned a Audi S4 Twin turbo. One major weakness were the turbo longevity and cooling. Also, changing the turbos was a major task, taking the entire front end off the car. How easy is it to swap the turbos in a Porsche. Is it 20 hours of labor? Also, in terms of longevity, should I be concerned buying a used turbo? This as starting a cold turbo and starting a normally aspirated car and going hard is bad for both engines, however its even worse for a turbo, correct? Has anyone on the board ever had a turbo fail in 20-30k miles.

Someone asked the question, but no one answered this, are there after run pumps in the turbo? That is, does the oil continue to circulate around the turbos once you turn off the car?

Anything else that I should be wary of? I know people like the x-50, but its not in the cards. Also, I am aware of the 01-02 differences. Seems that for the most part, they are cosmetic, and don't really impact the performance, except for the hollow vs. non hollow wheels. The rain sensor, the glove box are not really a big deal to me.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:57 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Only the real early 01 TTs had solid spokes and front bumperettes, most dont have either.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

There are no after run pumps on the 996TT.. Unlike your old Audi they have watercooled bearing housings.. The 993TT and 996TT do not have watercooling.. The K16 and K24 turbochargers are stronger and have better oiling designs over the K03's and K04's.. they need to because it's the oil circuits that provide lube and COOLING. It's nice to find homes for my all my K16 compressor wheels.. They get transplanted into the Audi's..

The installs for turbo's in Porsche's are alot easier vs the Audi.. You don't have to remove the engine nor pull the nose off..

Quick Reply: 996 TT, search the history, still a few more questions