Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:35 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil 1 Extended Performance

ExxonMobil has just annouced a new verion of Mobil 1 called "Mobil 1 Extended Performance":

They promise:

a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations.
But what is especially interesting to me is their new warranty:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Motor Oil Limited 15,000 Mile or 1 year Warranty

The oil is available as an ACEA A3 oil in the 10W-40 weight but not as a 0W-40 oil.

Given the high value of our engines, and this new warranty, I wonder if this new oil would be especially beneficial for us?? It could potentially mean a lifetime warranty against oil related engine failures.

Thoughs?

Stephen
Old 02-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Boston Duce
Advanced

Sounds like they are applying Delvac 1 HD oil technology throughout their line.

Regards,
BD
Old 02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FixedWing

ExxonMobil has just annouced a new verion of Mobil 1 called "Mobil 1 Extended Performance":

They promise:

But what is especially interesting to me is their new warranty:

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Motor Oil Limited 15,000 Mile or 1 year Warranty

The oil is available as an ACEA A3 oil in the 10W-40 weight but not as a 0W-40 oil.

Given the high value of our engines, and this new warranty, I wonder if this new oil would be especially beneficial for us?? It could potentially mean a lifetime warranty against oil related engine failures.

Thoughs?

Stephen
My only thought is that I don't think you want to use 10W-40 in your car. Is that viscosity approved by PAG? IIRC, it's 0W-40.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:03 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting concept, regarding the Engine Warranty. The exact wording is:

"If your vehicle has exceeded the duration of the manufacturer’s warranty, ExxonMobil warrants that the Mobil 1 Extended Performance lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle’s critical engine parts from oil related failure for 15,000 miles or 1 year, which ever comes first. If not, provided the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, Exxon Mobil will have your vehicle repaired and replace the oil at no cost to you."

I don't think they would give you a hard time replacing the oil, proving something broke due to "defective oil" after they will have the oil tested themselves and no-doubt "prove" it is in perfect condition is another story!

Case dismissed !
Old 02-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The extra additives are a good thing, so for new tight motors it's a benefit, but if the car is
older and worn, in such a way that the oil gets contaminants from blow-by or anywhere else,
you may still want to change oil frequently.
As has been noted, oil viscosity is another issue, and that does not remain constant over time
and use. So if you are viscosity-sensitive you may still want to change oil frequently...
Joe
Old 02-03-2005, 01:30 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

I think I would feel comfortable running 10W-40 so long as it was not in winter conditions. Note that the current Mobil One 0W-40 is a pretty light 40 weight! In summer conditions the 10W-40 could actually offer better protection.

The new 10W-40 weight is ACEA A3 rated so I would expect Porsche to add it to their approved list. Castrol's Syntec 0W-30 is also ACEA A3 rated and, at least on the German manufactured version sold here in AutoZone, they claim Porsche approval on the bottle.

One thing I noted about the warranty is that it does not exclude track usage. That could be very useful to some of us. But the warranty is very vague. A lot could be subject to interpretation. And until people start making claims, there is no way of knowing how tough ExxonMobil is going to be.

I've heard that Walmart is selling some of the weights of the new version for US$23 for a 5-quart bottle. That isn't much of a premium over the standar Mobil One. Given that these engines are worth $30K or more, it might be worth it.

Pretty obvious that from a marketing perspective, ExxonMobil is going after the extended change interval market for cars that are out of warranty. I wouldn't argue that this makes sense for us. Even is someone continues to use short change intervals I still think that the warranty could be beneficial.

Stephen
Old 02-03-2005, 11:55 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil had to reduce the ZDDP anti wear additive to meet the new US GF4/SM oil specs. It's thought that the Phosphorus poisons catalytic convertors. The new 5w30 and 10w30 Mobil 1 "regular" oils meet the new spec. For people with older cars they now have the Extended Performance oils with more additives. They did not alter the 0w40 to meet the new specs. From what I have read the new 10w40 has about 10 - 20% more additives than the Porsche recommended 0w40.
Mobil also has a 5w40 Truck and SUV oil, with extra additives, marketed towards light duty trucks. It MAY be the same oil as Delvac1. However it does not have the ACEA A3 approval Porsche requires.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Boston Duce
Advanced

Originally Posted by ebaker
. However it does not have the ACEA A3 approval Porsche requires.
Interesting.

In the 2005 manual there is NO mention of specific oil types/brands/required ratings other that a viscosity vs. temperature chart.

Although 0W-40 has the broadest recommendation, there are 5W-50 and 5W-40 viscosities listed as acceptable. Minimum OCI is 2 years if you don't hit the mileage limit.

I also notice on Loren's site which posts the TSB's that the oil approval list that was previously published last year has been superceeded-by what I don't know.

Regards,
BD
Old 02-04-2005, 11:42 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSB dated 2/04 says that for temps above -12F any 0w40, 5w40, or 5w50 ACEA A3 rated synthetic oil is acceptable. Below -12F only use 0w40.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Extended Performance