Sponsored by:

A Special Brake Part

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts
Default A Special Brake Part

The titanium dry break in lieu of a bleed screw -- considerably more leak resistant and with the appropriate pump, the entire system can be evacuated in less than 10 seconds.
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert, can you post some more pictures? I am not sure what I am looking at there..........It sure doesn't look like any stock caliper!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

You are looking at an aluminum lithium monobloc caliper with 8 cross and gun drilled titanium pistons, air gaps for cooling, two pads per side, quick release pad pins, titanium mounting pieces, shallow depth titanium brake line fitting, small diameter titanium crossover pipe nuts and dual titanium quick disconnect valves in place of bleed screws. Other than that - a standard caliper. As to the disc and bell, the disk is carbon ceramic and the bell is a special high temperature aluminum floating with a titanium bobbin mounting system.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Robert Linton; 12-11-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:58 PM
993RSCS
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert,

Are you still working on a brake upgrade for the 996 Twin Turbo?

Paul
Old 12-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Completed one for race cars. As to the 996TT, although it could be done at any time, frankly, as there are so many existing brake upgrade options available the world does not seem to need another.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:31 PM
jasoncuk
Instructor

So how much and for what models?
Old 12-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

These are not for sale. Aluminum lithium is not suitable for street use. In F1, for example, they life out after 3000 to 5000 km. Aluminum versions could be made but it makes no sense to pay for this level of caliper when available street kits meet virtually every standard need. If, on the other hand, you had a professional race application, and the rules permitted this or aluminum metal matrix composite, this would be the way to go. As to cost, assuming limited quantities and that someone else would bear the burden of the design, test forging and testing costs, you might still be talking of $7500 to $10,000 per caliper or more. As to specialty standard aluminum calipers, a wonderful set could be designed and manufactured for less than half that amount -- but, again, you can go out and buy an existing kit for much less and, in all likelihood, it will be more than adequate --assuming it has been properly designed to work properly with the other systems and subsystems of your car including, but not limited to, the ABS system, the master cylinder, the suspension, etc.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Robert, I am not familiar with Aluminum "Lithium" as a material. Can you tell me more about it? Are the calipers cast/forged/machined?

Why the drillings in the pistons? Is it to reduce weight and increase response time?

How does the "dry break" Titanium bleed system work? It would seem to me that a retrofit kit to others brake calipers based upon this system would be saleable and a worthwhile project to look at?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:14 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I don't know the details of the designs, I would make an educated guess that the "Dry Break" system is a quick connect system where a simple single action (such as connecting a hose fitting) opens the bleed valve, the valve closes the instant prior to disconnection, and when the hose is removed, there is little or no residual liquid lost. This can all be done with a pressurized system so it can be flushed very quickly with no contamination.

Aluminum-Lithium is an alloy of aluminum. The addition of lithium reduces density and provides structural rigidity. The alloy (which usually incorporates other elements too) has good thermal properties and crack resistance. It must be damn expensive and I imagine difficult to work with. I would imagine these capiers started as a block and were machined to design specs. The alloy is used in aerospace applications so it doesn't seem surprising it would find its way to F1 & other high-end racing applications

Those calipers are a work of art. Do you mind if I send the pictures to a friend who happens also to be gearhead mechanical engineer?

Last edited by JBH; 12-16-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Outstanding Robert..... What a beautifully engineered piece...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

JBH:

Thank you.

Quick Reply: A Special Brake Part