Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Ruf TTX50 upgrade void Porsche's Certified warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

All great points. I'm not saying you can't "feel" 600 hp. I've come to the conclusion you can't use it very often . That fact must weigh against the warranty issues. Thru the 80's and into the early 90's I had a street licensed Can Am Lola 165 which was featured on the back page of autoweek(and sold cheaply by the purchaser last month at Pebble). That car had 611 hp, weighed about 1800lbs wet and could do 70 in first gear. I could never (and I mean never) use full throttle in that car on the street. It may as well have had 400 hp. Mu Kurtis 500S has 570 engine dyno hp. I can't use moe than 80% of throttle on that car. I can feel the power, I just can't sanely keep the throttle down for 4 or 5 consecutive seconds. The speeds get insane too quickly. In my X50, after 26000 street miles, I have yet to encounter a situation (passing in traffic for instance) where another 100 hp could have made any difference, other than 1 second of sensation. In my (admittedly lame) opinion, the X50 performs stock at a level that any more hp would be untapped 99% of the time. It's currently untapped 98% of the time. So, I guess the point is that there is a huge difference from a NA 996 to a tt. The gain vs. cost drops off very rapidly after the X50 level. I'm interested in the opinions of others. AS
Old 11-12-2004, 12:00 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
So, I guess the point is that there is a huge difference from a NA 996 to a tt. The gain vs. cost drops off very rapidly after the X50 level. I'm interested in the opinions of others. AS
Well said IMO.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:37 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RBCSAVER, that is correct, the parts that are changed are the same from either X50 or non X50 cars and the parts you listed are correct. The reason for the price difference is that the X50 Turbo's are K24's and Ruf uses them (rebuilt to his specs) so they give you a credit. A non X50 car uses K14 turbo's which Ruf does not use. The cost was about $20K plus a bit for the Ruf technician's expenses. I would agree that as you increase HP the gain vs. cost ratio drops but it works that way for pretty much everything. The price difference between a NA 996 and the X50 Turbo is approx. $50K and you get 130HP plus some suspension, brakes, leather, etc. upgrades so the Ruf 100HP upgrade for $20K seems pretty reasonable. Personally it's the best $20K I ever spent, I smile everytime I drive my car and what's the value of that.

Quick Reply: Does the Ruf TTX50 upgrade void Porsche's Certified warranty?