Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help, Car is smoking (burning oil)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 12:35 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by docjackson1
i own a twin engine turbo charged airplane, and with those air cooled engines, i need to run the engine at idle for 2 minutes after landing. i think porsche is telling you with normal use (not immediately off highway, track use, etc) you can just shut it off. most driving before you park it is probably low speed/rpm. but if you want to be extra careful, more power to you.
All of the high performance aircraft I've flown (including turbo charged) require engine cool downs.

As for Porsche's cool down recommendation, it probably depends on what your definition of "hard" or "extended" driving is. I find there are MANY times where the driving I do before stopping (parking) the car is NOT at low speed/rpm. And almost all of my driving is either "hard" or "extended" or both.

The cool down/spool down time I take with the Turbo is just not a problem for me, and it makes perfect sense mechanically.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:09 AM
gaxor
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Occasional "puff" of blue smoke on start-up is not uncommon with 996TT Porsches. according to my local OPC.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:20 AM
mmcmilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for those advocating "cool down" idle before shutting off engine: does driving without boost and moderate rpms (e.g., 3000 or lower) constitute a satisfactory cool down? My last 5 minutes home is on a straight two lane road with a 40 mph limit.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

The quick answer is no.. What happens when you aren't driving home? Work, dinner, fuel... I always ask people, "so, you just get off the highway to refuel, do you pull right up to the pumps and shut the car off?" Most people will not stage there car and let it cool down a little.. If most people seen how hot these turbo's get.. It would make a believer for most to cool things down before shutting the car off..

Quick Reply: Please help, Car is smoking (burning oil)