Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chambers Porsche Boston denies warranty and refuses to refund an overcharge.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:23 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chambers Porsche Boston denies warranty and refuses to refund an overcharge.

I know I should not have believed a car salesman nor gone back to a dealer that tried to not refund a deposit on a misordered vehicle but hey...they did not build it and the history was clear and had only 2300 miles. I also talked to Clair Porsche' Service director who ran the VIN and I talked to the original owner.
The car is a dandy but Chambers Porsche is headed up by less than professionals, IMO.

My recent email to Chambers sales M Fernandes is as follows below in bold quotes (I was charged title, transfer and inspection fees that I paid directly to the state) -->
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"It has been two weeks since you I sent you the documentation/attachment relative to my $94.00 overpayment.

You have denied me warranty work that your dealership is obligated to do under Chapter 90 which has cost me $409.00 and I will looking for that amount as well. Please see the (company receipt) attachment.

The law below pertains to Massachusetts automobile dealer warranty obligations not covered by any factory warranty. The aftermarket K40 repair falls squarely within this law and you are bound by it as a licensed dealer. The Registry of Motor Vehicles, Dealer Section does agree. The revocation of your dealer license may be of concern to you. They have asked me to respond as to the disposition of this matter. The Attorney General's Consumer Affairs Department has asked for a response as to your disposition. I have contacted Channel's 7's Hank Phillipe Ryan and she awaits your disposition as well. Kindly send the $503 owned to me -$94.00 in overpayment and $409.00 in warranty repair. Your comment that it would cost me more to take legal action via the courts is well noted. I have chosen Consumer advocates - the Attorney General's Office, Licensing Authorities - the RMV, and the media.

I relied on your word to my detriment. I take issue that you told me George Chambers would not be vindictive over returning a deposit of two years ago and clearly he has."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mass. Gen. Law Chapter 90
Sections 7N-1/4, 7N
Used car buyers purchasing a vehicle over $699 from a dealer are entitled to a warranty covering all parts and labor for use or safety defects according to the mileage on the odometer:

ˇ under 40,000 miles - 90 days or 3,750 miles

ˇ 40,000 - 79,999 - 60 days or 2,500 miles

ˇ 80,000 - 124,999 - 30 days or 1,250 miles
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited by jessejames; 10-30-2004 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:47 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once upon a time this was a great board for technical info and pushing the envelope, now we have hysterical guys like you airing there dirty laundry over a lousy 500 bucks and of course , we only hear your side of the story.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:18 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Once upon a time this was a great board for technical info and pushing the envelope, now we have hysterical guys like you airing there dirty laundry over a lousy 500 bucks and of course , we only hear your side of the story.
Sharing negative experiences of various vendors seems like a good thing to me. Sometimes you find that once one person complains in here, there are others with similar experiences who join in. One disgruntled customer is not a lot to go on, but 5 or 10?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

pole position,

It's the principle of it. I could use that lousy 500 bucks for a new MPC,why not send it my way if you don't need it.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:24 AM
offroad911
Instructor

Originally Posted by pole position
Hysterical, I think not! The email was articulate, supported with fact as well as requirements of law. I, for one, will be following this thread to see finalization.

At no time in my life have I ever considered $500 to be a lousy amount of money. It must be a terrible thing when a person becomes so jaundice that any amount of money is considered insignificant. If you save enough pennies you can buy a TT, so where is the insignificance? The quoted response sounds like it might have come from the dealership involved.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by jessejames
My recent email to Chambers sales M Fernandes is as follows below in bold quotes (I was charged title, transfer and inspection fees that I paid directly to the state) -->

"It has been two weeks since you I sent you the documentation/attachment relative to my $94.00 overpayment.

You have denied me warranty work that your dealership is obligated to do under Chapter 90 which has cost me $409.00 and I will looking for that amount as well. Please see the (company receipt) attachment.

The law below pertains to Massachusetts automobile dealer warranty obligations not covered by any factory warranty. The aftermarket K40 repair falls squarely within this law and you are bound by it as a licensed dealer. The Registry of Motor Vehicles, Dealer Section does agree. The revocation of your dealer license may be of concern to you. They have asked me to respond as to the disposition of this matter. The Attorney General's Consumer Affairs Department has asked for a response as to your disposition. I have contacted Channel's 7's Hank Phillipe Ryan and she awaits your disposition as well. Kindly send the $503 owned to me -$94.00 in overpayment and $409.00 in warranty repair. Your comment that it would cost me more to take legal action via the courts is well noted. I have chosen Consumer advocates - the Attorney General's Office, Licensing Authorities - the RMV, and the media.

I relied on your word to my detriment. I take issue that you told me George Chambers would not be vindictive over returning a deposit of two years ago and clearly he has."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sections 7N-1/4, 7N
Used car buyers purchasing a vehicle over $699 from a dealer are entitled to a warranty covering all parts and labor for use or safety defects according to the mileage on the odometer:

ˇ under 40,000 miles - 90 days or 3,750 miles

ˇ 40,000 - 79,999 - 60 days or 2,500 miles

ˇ 80,000 - 124,999 - 30 days or 1,250 miles

I know I should not have believed a car salesman nor gone back to a dealer that tried to not refund a deposit on a misordered vehicle but hey...they did not build it and the history was clear and had only 2300 miles. I also talked to Clair Porsche' Service director who ran the VIN and I talked to the original owner.
The car is a dandy but Chambers Porsche is headed up by IMO less than

professionals. Rant over.
It may take more than 2 weeks for DMV to process the paperwork. I am of course not familar with how MA handles DMV. Here in Ca the dealer handles the DMV for the customer, and it takes about 3 months for the dmv to complete.

Why did you go back to Chambers? A few years ago, you had some long drawn out beef with them. IIRC you got a local TV channel involved.
Why was the "alleged" warrenty item not covered? and of course what is the item?
Old 10-29-2004, 02:56 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
It may take more than 2 weeks for DMV to process the paperwork. ?
I did the 'paper work and hoofing' myself and paid all RMV charges myself. Chambers asked for my check and then gave me an invoice showing the charges that I clearly told them I would handle personally. I was polite and considered it a clerical mistake at the time. Apparently not. They have ignored my request for monies charged, that they did not pay in my behalf, to the RMV.

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
Why did you go back to Chambers??
I was promised that the non refunded deposit situation of old was water under the bridge and George Chambers was fine with it. Clearly he is not and is keeping monies charged in error and is refusing to repair an aftermarket item as precribed by Massachusetts law above.

Also, as I stated above Chambers did not build the car and I checked it out as thoroughly as I could. I did not have my radar gun with me to check out the K40 so that malfunction got by me.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:09 PM
drafting
Instructor

Originally Posted by jessejames
I was promised that the non refunded deposit situation of old was water under the bridge and George Chambers was fine with it. Clearly he is not and is keeping monies charged in error and is refusing to repair an aftermarket item as precribed by Massachusetts law above.

Also, as I stated above Chambers did not build the car and I checked it out as thoroughly as I could. I did not have my radar gun with me to check out the K40 so that malfunction got by me.
JJ ---

Pole Position is out to lunch insofar as his/her comment regarding your rant. This is a discussion and support forum, and as long as you've got a legitimate beef, you should air it out.

While I feel your pain, and it certainly sounds as if Chambers might be screwing with you, I don't know that I believe that the K40 falls within the bounds of the warranty language in Mass state law. It would be surprising if aftermarket components would be covered, as a dealer/manufacturer has no control over the quality of workmanship or materials that went into that non-OEM part. In this case the part isn't even an integral component of the car, so who knows how many years or "miles" are actually on it. It could be several years old (maybe you've verified the production date w/ K40?).

The $409 repair bill for the K40 detector seems a bit high. K40's current model RD850 only costs $300 new, and the 2000P is north of $1k. Which unit do you have, what was wrong w/ it, and why did your unit cost so much to fix?

I didn't see a timeline for how your saga has unfolded, but it sounds like it is all very recent. Given the multi-faceted response that you've undertaken w/ Chambers, are you sure that part of this situation hasn't been brought about by you being "loaded for bear" in your transaction w/ Chambers, anticipating a problem founded upon past experience? Your response, while being comprised of logical steps, seems a tad exponential.

If you're digging your ride and it's keeping you satisfied, go file a small claims action and hope that it brings you some dosh. Meantime, go out and enjoy your car. fwiw.....

Jeff
Old 10-29-2004, 06:31 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Sections 7N-1/4, 7N
... $699 from a dealer are entitled to a warranty covering all parts and labor for use or

Jeff-
If you read this law through it is meant to cover any item not covered by factory warranty affecting use or safety. Chambers did install the K40 and they did advertise the car having the K40 (front, rear and laser) as an enticement to buy this car over another. I went in with trepidation but was promised by a car salesman that George held no grudge. He obviously does and this is one of the ways he is showing it. The other is not refunding an obvious overcharge.

Great business ethics. Car salesmen can be sociopaths too.

I appreciate your comment about loaded for bear but that isn't the case. I was willing to let by gones be by gones and spent $103,500.00 to prove it. And, if my math is correct, that is a tad over $699.00

Last edited by jessejames; 10-29-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:39 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jessejames,

You're a glutton for punishment, and you should have know better, given your previous experience.

At some point you have to take responsibility for your own "stupidity" in dealing with these guys. They're used car salesmen after all, and the easier the "prey" the more they will take advantage.

Given the nature of the business, they would be derelict in their duty if they did not take advantage of you. Haven't you ever heard of "Caveat Emptor"!

Don't mean to rain on you, but some things I just wouldn't publicize.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:47 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colm
Jessejames,

You're a glutton for punishment, and you should have know better, given your previous experience.

At some point you have to take responsibility for your own "stupidity" in dealing with these guys. They're used car salesmen after all, and the easier the "prey" the more they will take advantage.

Given the nature of the business, they would be derelict in their duty if they did not take advantage of you. Haven't you ever heard of "Caveat Emptor"!

Don't mean to rain on you, but some things I just wouldn't publicize.
Your points are well taken, with the exception of my stupidity....I had a lapse in judgement, perhaps, by believing all is forgiven for my winning the last go 'round.

You are oh so correct that they are salesmen. My problems are related to their converting of monies and their flaunting Massachusetts law, not the car. Thanks for your insight that I'll not forget.

I am publicizing, as you say, to help others from making the same mistake at this petty and pathetic dealership.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:07 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stupidity was in parenthesis, hopefully to qualify it and not imply it in a general sense. Your knowledge and articulation of the MA law would never lead one to conclude that you were stupid (in the non-parenthetical sense).
Old 10-30-2004, 01:33 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Only after numerous telephone calls, and a fleet of emails did I start this thread; exactly one month to the day of my first request for the overpayment.

A check arrived today....a 'lousy' 94 bucks.

Thanks George!
Old 10-31-2004, 07:54 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I initially agreed with you until you clarified that the broken item was a radar detector. The dealer is not an agency that is likely to repar that item, nor are they likely to even be able to test it. If you didn't test it, then you bought a used piece of crap without knowing if it worked. I think most people would think that's "your bad". You got the $94 to which you were entitled. The dealership has lived up to their end, at least from their perspective. Probably time to accept a mistake and move on. AS
Old 10-31-2004, 08:17 PM
jessejames
Instructor

AS-

Please read Ma law Chap 90 above regarding obligations to buyers of used car over and above factory warranty by Massachusetts licensed dealers. It pretains to USE or safety items when you pay over $699 and your car is under 124,999 miles. I think I have those bases covered. The more you pay and the lower the mileage the more obligation there is by the dealer. I'm at $103,500 and 2300 miles.

Also, the K40 was installed by Chambers and it was advertised by them as an inticement and accessory of value ($2400.00) to enhance the car's value and salability.

They owe me the repair legally. George Chambers refused the repair. I got it repaired at another K40 dealer. I just want what is owed to me according to Massachusetts law.

The RMV is reviewing his actions of refusal with regards to the status of his dealer's license renewal. The Attorney General Consumer Affairs office has a folder that they have added to with my complaint (he is well known there, they tell me), and I have been advised to sue in small claims. I may just go the TV Consumer Reporter route again.

Thanks for your input but it is the point that he is flaunting the law. It is not the 409 dollars.

Last edited by jessejames; 10-31-2004 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Chambers Porsche Boston denies warranty and refuses to refund an overcharge.