Sponsored by:

Fast and Furious...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 10:28 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Danton
I feel you guys are insulting the 996tt by even comparing it at all the a Mits Evo. Maybe, just maybe a Nissan Skyline but no Mits Exo. As far as the ricer fad, well it seems like it's here to stay a while as sad as it is. I have noticed that in the more upscale neighborhoods you see very few if any of these bat-mobiles. Which tells me one thing, I need to work more hours...

Some of the performance #'s don't lie. The Evo is a ballzy car for the price. It's not at the performance level of the TT but it'll sure give it a run. Remember no one is sitting her trying to say the quality is anywhere near TT level. I know more then a few guys who have things like ferrari's and such that have an Evo or STi that they use as a daily driver. Hell there are more then just a few on this board.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM
www.jprealestategroup.com
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the EVO go 190 MPH, and if it can would it be as stable as my 911 Turbo?
Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by www.jprealestategroup.com
Can the EVO go 190 MPH, and if it can would it be as stable as my 911 Turbo?
Where do you go a 190 MPH?
Sure not on a ordinary track.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:15 AM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iloveheat
LIterally: I can not take it any more. I never paid attention at these little noisy japanese cars with the exhaust tip as big as a water melon! But the whole world of riding cars doesn't stop at "drag racing", 0-60 or quarter mile! I remember once I was at Roock (Roswell, GA) and the English guy in that store was making fun of our questions about how faster his cars could be after the mods. Who knows of a challenge between a stock 996 tt and a prep Evo on a race track? Who can tell me how that would be? Someone says that the Evo is way better to drive, easier to control in the turns: I think that it can be so, but isn't true that the 996 can put 1 lateral G force in the turns? I still think the 996 handle better than the Evo, and I am saying a non modified 996tt VS a Evo with after market spring and shocks. Who can tell me about his experience?
Thank you guys
ILoveheat, your name says it all, why are you so insecure about your car? Why do the "imports" bother you so much? What is the deal with "mine is bigger than yours"? I drive (I don't cruise) around Duluth/Alpharetta and I see alot of "modded" imports, I always give them props for their love of cars. I don't get bent out of shape at the sight of an outrageous exhaust tip!!!!!!!!
The "English Guy" at Roock (Neil Orton) was laughing AT you because he is usually around RACE/TRACK GUYS and not wannabe's trying to Mod their TT to beat an EVO!
My advice, stop worrying about the EVOS, stop benchracing, grow some 'nads, get on the track and see what your car can do against an EVO, WRX, etc. Give everyone respect for being car enthusiasts. Maybe when your Lease runs out, you can get a nice Viper and blow away/dust/polish all those d*mn ricer/Jap/(insert derogatory name) that dare share the road with you.
Attached Images   
Old 11-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Marski (guy from chicago on this board), has a 10 second quarter mile evo.
It obvioulsy is a very capable car in many ways. For me, it does not look drive or feel
like my 996TT (in otherwords it is no replacement). I think he is out of the country other
wise he could tell us about drag racing both cars.

MK.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by RXDOC
ILoveheat, your name says it all, why are you so insecure about your car? Why do the "imports" bother you so much? What is the deal with "mine is bigger than yours"? I drive (I don't cruise) around Duluth/Alpharetta and I see alot of "modded" imports, I always give them props for their love of cars. I don't get bent out of shape at the sight of an outrageous exhaust tip!!!!!!!!
The "English Guy" at Roock (Neil Orton) was laughing AT you because he is usually around RACE/TRACK GUYS and not wannabe's trying to Mod their TT to beat an EVO!
My advice, stop worrying about the EVOS, stop benchracing, grow some 'nads, get on the track and see what your car can do against an EVO, WRX, etc. Give everyone respect for being car enthusiasts. Maybe when your Lease runs out, you can get a nice Viper and blow away/dust/polish all those d*mn ricer/Jap/(insert derogatory name) that dare share the road with you.
I could not have answered in a better way to myself..(!?)…. if I did not understand what I meant. I want to make sure that you understand what I meant when I wrote that post. I am not bothered by anybody, regardless what he/she drives. There was not any deal about "mine is bigger than yours", nor anything about being bent out of shape at the sight of any part of any other vehicle. I am please that Mr. Orton was amused by my post, although I was not and I am not trying to modify my 911tt in order to beat an EVO. Anyway I think he would be pleased should I decide to buy any aftermarket part in his store, regardless for what reason. Anyway: I always respect everybody, car enthusiast of horse enthusiast, and I went to a track and I was totally amazed by the capability of the TT, especially when the instructor drove it (although I had to replace my underwear a couple of times). I don’t think that there are other people “that dare share the road with me” like you said. The problem is that nobody understood my question, which was and is: how competitive in a track can a EVO or an STI be, with the due modifications, versus a stock 911 TT in a TRACK. That is so simple. I was trying to gather opinions from other members of this community about this matter, and I repeat my question so that there is not any misunderstanding here: HOW competitive would a EVO or a STI with modifications on suspensions and engine (which would bring the HP to, let’s say, 400hp) be versus a stock 911TT in a TRACK? Can such comparison be done? And again, like I said in my post, “the whole world of riding cars doesn't stop at "drag racing", 0-60 or quarter mile”: by saying that I meant: let’s go in a track and see what happens!! I saw on the internet an episode of the British TV show Top Gear, in which that guy, whose name I don’t remember, was racing an EVO with 400hp and other mods, against a Lamborghini Murcelago, and he EVO was better. Did you see that? What do you think about that? Mine is curiosity, nothing else. I apologize if I was trying to be a little funny (“little noisy Japanese cars with the exhaust tip as big as a water melon”): maybe that put a lot of people out of track…..
Old 11-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Iloveheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by RXDOC
ILoveheat, your name says it all, why are you so insecure about your car?
And one more thing, if I may: would you explain to me what is in my nick name that "says it all"? "Iloveheat" is a nick name I came up with 15 years ago because I loved Florida and the hot weather, that's all. But since English is not my first language, maybe you can explain to me any other hidden meaning of this nickname. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:15 PM
RXDOC
Rennlist Member

ILoveheat:
Sorry, I didn't mean to call you out, it's just that in previous posts you start off with inflammatory, derogatory remarks and the you get "heated responses". You didn't start this thread saying " from your experience, how does the TT compare to Evo on the track!" You start off saying "I can't take it anymore" and "little JAP cars".
Maybe your true intentions were "Lost in Translation". BTW, English is not my primary language either, and trying to be clear and concise is a bitch.
My track experience is limited, but I have run against, EVO's, WRX's, Vipers, Corvettes, and NSX's. I don't see any reason why a 400HP EVO couldn't and wouldn't keep up with a TT! It's 70-80% driving skills anyway! I have had a well driven Acura Integra hang with me for several laps!
BTW, where and when did you track your, and how did you get your instructor to drive your TT.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Iloveheat
Advanced

I understand, and to be honest I indeed said "I can not take it anymore" because it seemed to me that in the import scene it was all about "drag racing", never about endurance in a track. That's all. And that is why I also mentioned Mr. Orton that, at the question "how fast from 0 to 60", answered "this is not what this car is made for....". I’d really like to read in a major automotive magazine or watching TV show about a competition between “exotic” cars, or anyway pricy fast cars, and other vehicle in the $30k price range, plus $10k or $15k of additional modification. I guess though that the closest thing to this would be “One lap of America”. But my idea is to keep the exotic cars stock, just to see how far their price tag make them go… Anyway, I went in a place close to Talladega: go to http://www.siegelracing.com, and boy, it was a lot of fun in a very safe enviroment (no walls on the side of the road). Let me know if you want to go and maybe I can come too. See you around in Alpha/Duluth area....
Old 11-14-2005, 07:00 PM
red993tt
Racer

It's all personal preference. The guy that can afford a 996tt can also afford to buy two EVOs. But chooses not to because he values prestige versus bang for your bucks. NHRA have Honda Civics that run under 5 sec 1/4 miles. Does that mean we should all go buy it.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:30 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red993tt
It's all personal preference. The guy that can afford a 996tt can also afford to buy two EVOs. But chooses not to because he values prestige versus bang for your bucks. NHRA have Honda Civics that run under 5 sec 1/4 miles. Does that mean we should all go buy it.
Yepp,

You should all give your P-cars to me and buy Civics.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:09 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

As a guy who can afford a tt, I would also have bought an Evo except it looks like a piece of crap. Hate to be superficial, but somehow it is very important that I not only like to drive the car I own, I need to like the way it looks. If it could look like a 350Z or an A4, I don't think they could build them fast enough. Why it looks like something you could make out of folded paper, I will never know. Maybe the headof the design studio had a migraine that day. AS
Old 11-16-2005, 01:10 AM
kem
Instructor

Im a pretty hardcore euro guy, and I would never buy a EVO or really any other japanese car. But performance is not the reason I wouldnt buy one... The EVO is a incredible car, as is the NSX, especially the Japanese only NSX-R. Watch some best motoring videos, where they take EVOs, NSXs, GTRs, Porsches and Ferraris on the track and do real lap battles with pro drivers and you will see some of japans best can really hang despite the horsepower difference.

Just how the 911 is the incredible car it is today because they have been refining it for 40 years, the EVO has gone through 9 generations of constant revision to make it the best race car it can possibly be (WRC).

Japanese cars have several things going for them, for one they are lighter... and 2 the japanese limit of 280 horsepower has forced them into making better cars by perfecting their handling since they couldnt solve the problem of competition from other marques the european way: adding more horsepower. So they refined aerodynamics, suspension etc... Also keep in mind when honda built the NSX their test driver who gave them all their feedback on setting up their car was Ayrton Senna.

That said, I prefer euros for their all around balance of peformance/style/luxury & soul. But at the same time I must respect other good cars. And this day in age with all these wannabe boy racers running around it can be hard to take japanese cars seriously but there are a few that are well engineered for track duty.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 AM
kem
Instructor

This thread got me thinking, so I loaded up the best motoring when they featured the 996 turbo. The drivers in this show are all top japanese race car drivers, some of them have driven at lemans and other world recognized races and done well. These are not just weekend road warriors, they really battle it out on the track. These are the best lap times for the following cars in their battle on some japanese circuit, the results are pretty shocking. This is their best lap from a 6 lap battle.

Best Lap
Porsche 996 Turbo 1:40.915
R34 GT-R V-Spec II 1:40.958
EVO VII RS: 1:41.209
Ferrari 360: 1:41.554
Old 11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Iloveheat
Advanced

That is what I am talking about: finally someone that can give me some numbers!! Plus, Mr. Kem, I agree with all you said about style, 40 years of development, and other factors that would make the TT the great car that it is. I agree also on the fact that there are too many wannabe racers around; and what it is worse is that they want to race in public roads, which is illegal and irresponsable, but most important dangerous for other innocent drivers. Agree too that there are very good and relaiable vehicle ready for track duty. One question: where did you find the info about lap times in Best Motoring? And do you know where I could find anything about Top Gear?

Quick Reply: Fast and Furious...