AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compare the EVO to the GT3 and its a completely different story
Old 08-30-2004, 04:37 PM
Iloveheat
Advanced

I don't care about classy interiors and symbol factor. And by the way YES I drove the Evo; I don't agree with the drivability, and the fact that the EVO is more balanced than a Porche. Of couse the 996 has a 37/63 weight distribuiton but in a track that is not a major handicap, it is infact a good advantage when it accelerates out of a corner. My friend that was driving the EVo complained about the weight felt on the front while entering in the turn; for as much as he worked on the engine the car did not have the power (HP ad torque) of the 996 tt. I am with you when you say that for a fraction of the money you can have a great sport car: my friend has already spent $17Gs on his car... he is defenitely an enthusiasts. The breaks? I am sorry, I saw smoking breaks the whole day out of Evos and WRX STI, not mine. But anyway that was a personale experience with a couple of friends, of which one had to give up his 911tt (divorce) and now is pushing his item (Evo) as the best. I don't care which one is the best in an absolute way: I am pretty sure that mine is better than his, which makes me think that that is probably close to the reality. Unless I am a hell of a driver...
Old 08-30-2004, 08:14 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
the turbo is a GT, the EVO is a focused sports car.

The EVO a focused sports car?!?! Seriously, it is at best, a sports sedan with sports car performance. After all, it really is a freakin' Lancer!

It is obvious you are EVO biased. Oh, the 996TT does not have any of the "911 pickiness".
Old 08-31-2004, 12:33 AM
Iloveheat
Advanced

I don't find the word Jap offensive at all. I inteded to use it as short for Japanese. AS for the fact that there are Porsche owners that don't have class: I agree. A lot of people with NIppo cars are nice guys, like the ones I shared the track that day with. But anyway, most of the people with any kind of car are extra nice, then you may have some rude individual: I run into one, and he happens to have a Nipponic car. Period. I was just telling a story.Yes, the 996TT is $120G, and you can do a lot of things with that money, or you can buy just a car. It is a matter of money and choice. I agree with adsc4s, the evo is a sport sedan (small one) with sport car performance (270HP 4 wheel drive). But if you spend $17,000 and you take the catalityc converter off and run with 28 psi and race gas @ 116 octane ($5 per gallon), without using the AC you may be almost equal to the 996TT on a straight line acceleration (starting from the 2nd gear), while the 996 is running the AC. The question is: what do I answer when this guy tells me that with 1/3 of the stiker price of a 996tt you may have something that performs the same and drives better and you can park it at the grocery store without being scared of dents on the doors?
Old 08-31-2004, 10:56 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Since almost all cars are a depreciating asset, to the fellow with the Evo, you'd say, "That's a very wise way to have a great deal of fun in a car while losing the least money possible" Having had 5 Porsches (still have a 99 Boxster and 02ttX50), I have no vested interest in agreeing with the concept that the Evo is a fabulous driving car. If I couldn't afford a tt, I'd buy one. If it looked a tiny bit less like a s**tbox, I'd buy one to drive in winter on 4 snow tires. It is absolutely not possible to not call the Evo a sports car. It is more fun than anything short of a Z06 or 996. Much more fun than the Boxster, an S2000, a 350Z, Miata, etc., primarily because an imbecile can drift the Evo. If you haven't thrown the car into a full drift, you haven't seen it at its best. Granted, drifting isn't the fastest way around a corner, just the most fun. AS
Old 09-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

My dad is stronger than your dad................................
Old 09-01-2004, 10:45 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

There is a small group of Japanese test drivers who are at the Nürburgring though the entire season. They are testing their own Japanese cars and the cars of their Japanese competitors but they are also testing just about every other car out there. They are taking the information the glean from this and applying it to their own cars. I’m not surprised that they have had some pretty good successes. They work very hard at it.

As for the Evo, WRX, etc., I have been in track prepared WRX’s at the Nürburgring. I was very impressed. I’ve also had one or two stay with my Turbo (and probably could have even passed me had they wanted). In North America, emphasis is often on quarter mile times. But if these cars are built well for track use then they can be very fast there too.

In the end, going fast in a car is simply a matter of money. The Germans are not the only ones who have figured out this formula. And isn’t that a good thing? Competition is good, right?

Stephen
Old 09-01-2004, 01:33 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
My dad is stronger than your dad................................
I bet he works out........
Old 09-09-2004, 05:26 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by adsc4s
The EVO a focused sports car?!?! Seriously, it is at best, a sports sedan with sports car performance. After all, it really is a freakin' Lancer!

It is obvious you are EVO biased. Oh, the 996TT does not have any of the "911 pickiness".

The evo and the base lancer have VERY VERY little in common
Old 09-09-2004, 08:12 PM
ryce
Instructor

I had an EVO until yesterday when I sold it to my brother. I bought it about 4 months ago with the thought of perhaps selling my 03 996 C2 but I could never quite bring myself to do it. Instead, when I got the opportunity last week to trade in the 996 and buy a GT3, I jumped at it but with the promise to myself that I would sell the EVO, and revert to the family's WRX wagon as my daily driver. The EVO is a great performance car bargain. Stock, it has acceleration to rival the C2 996 up until about 100 mph, when the 996 will walk away. It has very good cornering adhesion (but is very bouncy and I think needs coil overs to tame the bounce), and outstanding brakes and stopping power until the brakes heat up. For probably $7-10k in mods, you can build a car that will run close to a stock TT. You need coil overs, new pads, rear sway bar, exhaust, chip. In fact, I have run on the track with modded EVOs that walked away from the C2 (which had PSS9 coil overs and Gt3 sway bars) but they had to work very hard to do so. Nobody would trade a TT for an EVO, or for 3 EVOs. However, for the $$$ an EVO is hard to beat . And it is so extreme and edgy, I'm absolutely amazed that you can even buy it. With its recaro seats, its 19psi turbo, its super quick steering, its stiff suspension, its carbon wing, its front mounted intercooler, it is truly over the top. I think they look great but I had much internal debate about removing the rear carbon wing. I never did, and my brother likes it. If you all get a chance to drive one, do it. I believe you will come away impressed. Its a car that an enthusiast will love. I'm sorry to see mine go. But the GT3.......now that is another story completely.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:37 PM
jsonnen
Three Wheelin'

Porsche?????? Evo?????? But.......
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2004, 03:05 AM
raidentech.com
Instructor

the next generation NSX will dethrone the Porsche TT.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Iloveheat
Advanced

What is the NSX going to have in order to dethrone the 995TT?
Old 09-10-2004, 04:50 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Resurrect itself from the crypt. The new NSX was cancelled, I've read. AS
Old 09-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Danton
Instructor

I feel you guys are insulting the 996tt by even comparing it at all the a Mits Evo. Maybe, just maybe a Nissan Skyline but no Mits Exo. As far as the ricer fad, well it seems like it's here to stay a while as sad as it is. I have noticed that in the more upscale neighborhoods you see very few if any of these bat-mobiles. Which tells me one thing, I need to work more hours...

Quick Reply: Fast and Furious...