Sponsored by:

Which would you choose: SL65AMG or Ferrari 360

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 12:21 AM
02GT2
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Which would you choose: SL65AMG or Ferrari 360

Ok...I realize that these are drastically different cars, but they are in the same price range.

I think I am ready to give up my GT2 and try something new. Quite frankly, I am very surprised to see how 996TTs and GT2 resale prices have plumetted much faster than other sports cars (ie 360 Modena, Viper, Lambos, Vette, BMWs, etc..) Not that I look for a car as an investment, but the depreciation hit has been huge....

Anyway, I am at a crossroads and need some input.
On one hand we have the SL65AMG: V12 Twin turbo, more torque than a freight train (over 600,hp over 700ftlbs) tq, and blazing acceleration that bests a 996TT or GT2 with a drop top as well. Mercedes builds great quality cars, but I often feel like their philosophy is luxury first, performance second. In addition, there is already software in development that will be available in the next 6 months to boost power close to 700hp and tq to 800 with ECU tuning for only (yikes!!) a few thousand bucks.

On the other hand we have the Ferrari 360 coupe: We all now how great these cars look and they perform solidly as well. A new style will be coming out soon which may mean hurt values considerably, but nothing tops the looks of the 360 in my opinion. The scary thought is that a 4500lb Mercedes may outperform a 3300lb Ferrari which has always been the opitomy of a sportscar.

What would you choose?????
Old 07-11-2004, 12:48 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy the Ferrari, the MB is an old mans car.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:05 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very tough question-probably would take the modena, but you can't fault anyone for taking the sl65. with that kind of power, it is a unique piece in it's own right. the musical engine and great handling of the modena, as well as it's great resale, would swing it for me.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:27 AM
02GT2
Track Day

The other things I need to ponder is maintenance costs. My friend had his 550 Maranello in for it's 10k mile maintenance and walked away with over a $10k bill. I do worry about the Ferrari's longevity, ownership costs, and reliability.

I think the Ferrari will be more fun, but probably not more fun than my GT2. This is one of the reasons I thought a change may make sense...

Anyway, I would hate to have to spend thousands of dollars a year for maintenance when Mercedes engines are known to last for many miles....

I do appreciate the input though...I feel like I, personally, and leaning more towards the Ferrari, but we'll see....

What do all of you think about the relatively large depreciation on Porsches right now?
Old 07-11-2004, 01:49 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking seriously about the SL65, even the SL55 is an awesome car. I do think you are in error when you talk about Mercedes quality being outstanding, in the past few years it has been really terrible. They quietly bought back my last car with only 600 miles on it, but I do appreciate that they did it without giving me any real hassle.

I would have already bought the SL 55 if I had not read so much about the quality problems on this car.

With the Ferrari, the ownership costs are so great that I just don't feel like I can afford to own one!

I think my next car may be the Bentley, it looks stunning!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:24 AM
02GT2
Track Day

Colm-
I agree with you. It sounds silly to say, but I don't think I can afford the maintenance costs as well :-) . It's just not worth it in the long run.

I, too, did hear about problems with the 55AMG. I think Mercedes figured out the problem and hopefully can eliminate it from happening again. However, Mercedes is a very big company, and it is great to see that it was a hassle free experience for you. For some reason, I can't imagine it being as hassle free if an engine were to go in a Ferrari. There are so few places that can work on them too....

Interesting points; appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:11 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My general rule of thumb for Ferrari's is $1/mi in pure maintenance (not counting depreciation or gas), to run them. To me, this is just much, much too high. If money were truly no object, it would be another story...

I'd vote for keeping the GT2, or if you're definitely looking for something new, going for the SL65. Ultimately, it will be quicker in every real world case, much more useable, less visceral, less fun to drive and nowhere near as exotic. If you ask me, unless the car is a total toy, those first 2 points (quicker in normal use, much more useable) override the other considerations.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:41 PM
drafting
Instructor

The Ferrari all the way.

If you're 'really' looking at a decision between those two cars, in that price range, worrying about the maintenance tab shouldn't be a deal-breaking consideration. We're not talking about Mercury Sables here (my heartfelt sympathies to any Sable owners perusing this forum). If it were part of the decision, I believe that it is a philosophical issue, ie. "I'm spending $XXX for this car and it's going to cost me $XX for maintenance annually? Holy Crap!", but not "Gee, I don't think that this car is f~@k!n6 beautiful anymore because it just cost me $500 for an oil change". If you're really serious, how could you not opt for the 360? It is the prettiest package out there! (If you don't mind getting outdriven by turbocharged Porches I mean!!)

Anyway, a friend who had a 550 and a 360 at the same time said that the 550 was far more heinous in the maintenance cost arena. He's since dumped the 550 for something else, but still adores the 360. MB quality has tanked over the past few years, followed by customer satisfaction. JD Powers used to have MB in the top three every year, but now they rank below Chrysler down in the forty-something spot (that whole merger thing had the opposite effect that everyone was thinking. hmmmmm....). Too bad, because MB does do some terrific things w/ their bodywork and systems. fwiw ........

Jeff
Old 07-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Colm
With the Ferrari, the ownership costs are so great that I just don't feel like I can afford to own one!
Colm: This is really not the case with the 360, based upon my personal experience of owning one for almost 4 years. Of course, I would never buy an F-car (or any car for that matter) unless I had convenient access to a quality dealer.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:49 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

02GT2: The SL65 will be significantly faster in a straight line and more comfortable than the 360, as well as a lot more boring to drive. They are such different cars that any comparison is meaningless. The 360 driving experience will excite, overwhelm and energize all your senses. The feeling defies description -- it's something you must experience firsthand to appreciate. That's why so many magazine writers pick the 360 first in comparos, even though "objective" numbers favor the competition.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:47 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

"I realize that these are drastically different cars"

That says it all. For street driving, my 575 has tons of torque, is very comfortable, has at least a little useful storage space, has a fine radio, handles great, etc. I may well be mistaken, but I'd imagine the SL65 is more like the 575 than the 360 series cars. The 360 feels much lighter and more agile, and lets you know when you wind it up.

I think you have to buy what really speaks to you. I think the 500/55/65 cars are beautiful, and it's hard to argue with the 65's performance, but the Ferraris move me more.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Moogle
Race Car

575 , used if you can't front the new price

buyer beware, on ferrari's if you can barely afford the price of entry, don't bother, the upkeep will kill you.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:38 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

How about waiting for the new 360 facelift? I think it's called the 430. I wouldn't sell the GT2 if I had one but it's your choise. The SL65 is a great car but next to a GT2 or a 360 it's a totally diffrent car made for a totally diffrent customer.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

From a purely financial point of view, the Mercedes will actually save you around $10000 over 4 years because of the included maintenance of Mercedes. Moreover, if you tend to keep your cars, Mercedes repair rates (on the V12 models) are still around 50% less than any Ferrari repair rates.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Moogle
Race Car

actually mercedes cancelled their free maintinence

after blindly following BMW by offering it, they realized it affected their bottom line too much and quickly cancelled it, losing even more customers.

guess what they offer in place of that now? - you can get your car washed anytime at a merc dealer for free.

pathetic, mercedes is dead

Quick Reply: Which would you choose: SL65AMG or Ferrari 360