Sponsored by:

Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,130 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Customer support has, so far, been very good - I did a full refresh with top mounts/camber plates front and rear, swift springs, rear extenders.

Shop induced problem is steering wheel is skewed left, and has a **** on center (vague) feeling - I suspect this is due to a little less toe than I'd like, and most certainly a degree less of camber than I'd like, but this is in no way the fault of BC.

I have not even moved the says from their softest setting, so yes, not too shabby so far.

Last edited by 2fcknfst; Yesterday at 03:12 PM. Reason: More is not less...
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 869 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by onyxeros
Feals and BC are not rebranded anything. D2, Gecko, etc. are all rebrands. As far as I can tell every street-focused coilover has had issues, Ohlins, KW and Bilstein included. I have also seen a lot of people that don't know how to set up coilovers, buy cheap coilovers and then complain they ride like crap. I have Ohlins on one car, BC on another car and a stack of swift springs. Learn how to set up your suspension and you'd be surprised how well your car can ride and handle for any specific use case at every budget point.
Assuming I don't know how to setup my car is wild, but ok. There's a huge delta between KW and most of the Taiwan variants. They're not bad, probably worth the cost, considering how much more the high end stuff is, but it's apples to oranges.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 869 Likes on 588 Posts

I'd rock the BC, FEAL, or Fortune Auto stuff before the XYZ, Yellow Racing, etc. ebay stuff for sure. I still try to put the best parts I can afford on the car, it's a Porsche.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I had considered doing something fancier, but, I drive it year round, bang for buck not bad, don't think the soobie is worth much more.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM
onyxeros
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
Assuming I don't know how to setup my car is wild, but ok. There's a huge delta between KW and most of the Taiwan variants. They're not bad, probably worth the cost, considering how much more the high end stuff is, but it's apples to oranges.
you can interpret my comment how every you want. Most people don't know how much suspension travel they have based on their rod stroke, spring stack height, preload and ride height. If you do know, great, good for you. But for street driving and rando HPDE a well set up Feals or BC DS won't underperform Ohlins.
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,597 Posts

... But for street driving and rando HPDE a well set up Feals or BC DS won't underperform Ohlins.
IMHO you can't really say this categorically. If the car is run at an HPDE at track where curb cutting is part of the "preferred" line than a skilled driver will feel the difference between coilovers.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; Yesterday at 08:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This, absolutely.

I've just gotten back from a 3800km trip, and I ran fairly hard, but having a super fancy coilover on the road would have been impossible to get benefit out of, but it would have likely beaten me to a pulp if it were.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 409 Likes on 290 Posts

The Ohlins have a progressive dampening profile dual valve or whatever it is. That's why it is able to give a smoother ride, it has a bit of soft cushion before it gets into the firmer dampening on the shock. With the non adjustable coilovers you just get a linear dampening profile so as long as it is set up properly the handling is probably the same.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do believe the BCs have something similar, cannot recall it's trade name.

In the STi, they ride a lot smoother than the gymkhana setup they replaced, just have to sort the last alignment issue to give proper feedback.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM
onyxeros
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
IMHO you can't really say this categorically. If the car is run at an HPDE at track where curb cutting is part of the "preferred" line than a skilled driver will feel the difference between coilovers.
A skilled driver that cuts curbs is not doing a "rando HPDE", which is why I say a daily driver and rando HPDE, amateur's aren't hitting curbs.

Also BC has the DS coilovers with digressive valving, this is exactly what I have. I also have custom Ohlins RT on my other car. Street driving and random HPDE neither is superior than the other in my hands.
https://bcracing-na.com/series/ds-series/
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,597 Posts

A skilled driver that cuts curbs is not doing a "rando HPDE", which is why I say a daily driver and rando HPDE, amateur's aren't hitting curbs.

Also BC has the DS coilovers with digressive valving, this is exactly what I have. I also have custom Ohlins RT on my other car. Street driving and random HPDE neither is superior than the other in my hands.
You are making a lot assumptions. I am an amateur driver that has done plenty of rando HPDEs and at Watkins Glen and other tracks I cut curbs every lap because that is the "proper" line through those corners.

I had JRZs on my car and then switched to FEALs and I can tell you as good as FEALs are they do not performs as well as the JRZs.

Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM
mrdstr
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

So you are running the BC DS on the 996 turbo?
Old Today, 12:15 AM
MegaK
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently installed some Feals 441+ coilovers onto my car. If your looking for something that rides well that will increase the handling over the stock worn suspension they are really great.

I was expecting a much harsher ride with these coilovers but they are maybe just slightly harsher than OEM. I highly recommend them.
Old Today, 03:13 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You are making a lot assumptions. I am an amateur driver that has done plenty of rando HPDEs and at Watkins Glen and other tracks I cut curbs every lap because that is the "proper" line through those corners.

I had JRZs on my car and then switched to FEALs and I can tell you as good as FEALs are they do not performs as well as the JRZs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwZhfCXLUdU
The digressive blow off valving technology used on the JRZ motorsport shock does and absolutely phenomenal job at soaking up curbing and keeping the suspension composed. I run the JRZ 12.32 Motorsport 3-ways and they are sublime. Even more amazing is how they soak up curbing when you consider these use 1700 lb springs in the front and 2100 lb springs in the rear. I've had plenty of other coilovers and there is simply no comparison. With that said, a race shock does not necessarily make a good choice for a street shock.

Quick Reply: Coil Overs