Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks K24 build/testing process

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 09:28 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
And this is why my engine is getting rods and pistons before the 980s go on....
I think with a conservative tune you'd be fine.

Unless you plan on tracking the thing seriously whats the point? Or tuning it aggressively.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 332 Likes on 223 Posts

On every turbocharger system that I sell, the customer will breakin there turbochargers on the stock original tuning map.
I will flash the ECU back to stock. You MUST have boost control. The factory K16, K24, X50, GT2 stock file must be able to control the hybrid turbochargers.
The N75 with my billet wastegate kit installed on hybrid turbochargers WILL manage boost. The stock program "will" manage the turbochargers.
If you can manage the boost, you can manage the torque.

Old Yesterday, 12:55 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,892 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec_
Sometimes I think I should just stick with the stock turbos for now and jut get a tune + exhaust and hold out for a big old set of turbos
Stock turbos with a tune and exhaust are generally very safe in virtually all cases.
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

And this is why my engine is getting rods and pistons before the 980s go on....
Quit beating around the bush and get those things installed! LOL. There is virtually zero issues from a torque standpoint with the 980s on a stock engine. You have nothing to worry about. Here is a friend's stock block 3.6 with the 980s at 1.3 bar with 91pump on our local dynojet. 645whp/535wtq. The only mod is a Kline catted 2.5" exhaust. IDC1300 injectors and a Walbro 450 fuel pump. Look where the peak torque is. Look at the torque down low. Look at the hp and how it rises all the way to redline in a linear fashion, very GT3esque. This is a ripping yet 100% safe set up for a stock block engine.

Last edited by powdrhound; Yesterday at 02:10 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

What i don't understand is many of the popular tuners recommend 1 bar waste gates and if they are 14 lb springs..how can the n75 valve control the boost @ low rpm to modulate torque? I suppose you could pull timing but..

It just seems counter intuitive to put in stiffer wastegate springs and light weight compressor wheels that spool faster knowing these rods are soft.

I think the Motronic 7.8 ECU is pretty good and capable but how much control can these ecus provide with boost mapping compared to a standalone?

Or does it even matter and its more dependent on the boost control solenoid that is being used?
The UMW 1 bar wastegate kit I installed actually has springs that start to crack at around ~8.5psi. The Markski ones are 14lb springs...
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 406 Likes on 287 Posts

I have the built engine but now I worry about the transmission which is just as expensive these days.
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
Celison
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
On every turbocharger system that I sell, the customer will breakin there turbochargers on the stock original tuning map.
I will flash the ECU back to stock. You MUST have boost control. The factory K16, K24, X50, GT2 stock file must be able to control the hybrid turbochargers.
The N75 with my billet wastegate kit installed on hybrid turbochargers WILL manage boost. The stock program "will" manage the turbochargers.
If you can manage the boost, you can manage the torque.

When using a stock file, the n75 can control boost properly even with all different wastegate cracking pressures? How is that possible if the cracking pressure is over the requested boost pressure? With the N75 completely open ( 0 duty cycle, charge pressure from the compressor housing going straight to the WGs), isn't the lowest boost achievable equal to the WG cracking pressure? Unless all your WG options don't have stiff springs in them, then I can see the stock file being able to control boost.

Last edited by Celison; Yesterday at 12:22 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

What i don't understand is many of the popular tuners recommend 1 bar waste gates and if they are 14 lb springs..how can the n75 valve control the boost @ low rpm to modulate torque? I suppose you could pull timing but..

It just seems counter intuitive to put in stiffer wastegate springs and light weight compressor wheels that spool faster knowing these rods are soft.

I think the Motronic 7.8 ECU is pretty good and capable but how much control can these ecus provide with boost mapping compared to a standalone?

Or does it even matter and its more dependent on the boost control solenoid that is being used?
If the waste gates dont' crack below 14psi, the N75 can not physically control boost below that level. It's that simple. Throttle ends up being a bit of an ON/OFF switch with very stiff WG springs. A restrictive exhaust may compound the issue as it creates additional pressure on the backside of the wastegate flapper pushing to keep it closed.

We use very soft waste gates on my turbos. They have 6 psi springs with preload lowered via longer WG rods. They begin to crack at 4.5 psi and are fully open by 14.5. We have the ability to run 1.5 bar with that set up although our default standard map runs 1.1bar. Although we may leave a bit of low end spool on the table with such soft springs, we are gaining a lot of throttle modulation and resolution in return. Different philosophies I guess.

By comparison, my RUF K24/26 waste gates as set up my RUF would crack at 8 psi and were fully open at 11.

Last edited by powdrhound; Yesterday at 01:28 PM.
Old Today, 12:26 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,117 Likes on 3,117 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Quit beating around the bush and get those things installed! LOL. There is virtually zero issues from a torque standpoint with the 980s on a stock engine. You have nothing to worry about. Here is a friend's stock block 3.6 with the 980s at 1.3 bar with 91pump on our local dynojet. 645whp/535wtq. The only mod is a Kline catted 2.5" exhaust. IDC1300 injectors and a Walbro 450 fuel pump. Look where the peak torque is. Look at the torque down low. Look at the hp and how it rises all the way to redline in a linear fashion, very GT3esque. This is a ripping yet 100% safe set up for a stock block engine.

Yes, yes, I know!

That AFR is rock solid; whats the tuning on that?
Old Today, 12:40 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Yes, yes, I know!

Sam did the tune on those via the Cobb Accesport. He also did the tune on my (your) 980s when I ran the stock ECU.

Last edited by powdrhound; Today at 12:46 AM.
Old Today, 12:42 AM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

If the waste gates dont' crack below 14psi, the N75 can not physically control boost below that level. It's that simple. Throttle ends up being a bit of an ON/OFF switch with very stiff WG springs. A restrictive exhaust may compound the issue as it creates additional pressure on the backside of the wastegate flapper pushing to keep it closed.

We use very soft waste gates on my turbos. They have 6 psi springs with preload lowered via longer WG rods. They begin to crack at 4.5 psi and are fully open by 14.5. We have the ability to run 1.5 bar with that set up although our default standard map runs 1.1bar. Although we may leave a bit of low end spool on the table with such soft springs, we are gaining a lot of throttle modulation and resolution in return. Different philosophies I guess.

By comparison, my RUF K24/26 waste gates as set up my RUF would crack at 8 psi and were fully open at 11.
Can this elongated wastegate strategy be used on a stock frame turbo and stock ecu?

I believe the turbosmart wastegates for the stock K16 & K24 turbos have the ability to use softer springs but the problem is they cannot hit 1 bar of boost

Willing to bet its a tuned stock ecu
Old Today, 12:58 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Can this elongated wastegate strategy be used on a stock frame turbo and stock ecu?

I believe the turbosmart wastegates for the stock K16 & K24 turbos have the ability to use softer springs but the problem is they cannot hit 1 bar of boost
When I ran the RUF K24s the WG all cracked around 8psi. On my K16 hybrids it was similar if I recall. Stock turbos probably a little less. Lot of factors are at play. I know on the Xonas 6psi cracking and 14psi full open works great on the stock ECU. That's what I used on the 980s with the stock ECU when running 1.3 bar. That's what my friend used on the 980s posted above. I use less boost now on the Motec ECU as we can make a lot more power on less boost. Again, lot of variables at play.
Old Today, 04:03 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
I have the built engine but now I worry about the transmission which is just as expensive these days.
The exact opposite of me...
Old Today, 04:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sam did the tune on those via the Cobb Accesport. He also did the tune on my (your) 980s when I ran the stock ECU.
That is good to know - I am really impressed by how flat that AFR is, I thought that kind of accuracy and control was just for the MOTEC crowd...

Old Today, 04:12 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

I did believe that at the beginning of this exercise, but now, not so much.
You are in supporting mod scope creep land. Could just throw them on to fix your oil leak and keep things turned down until you can do the other stuff, if you decide you even want to push them further.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks K24 build/testing process