Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping up with the Jones

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024 | 10:31 AM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Default Keeping up with the Jones

Curious: I've been doing the car/horsepower chase for a long time (hate to even admit this, but over 30 years now). I've always had high HP cars and often times, did the work myself. I love driving the 996. I've named her Gamgam (think Beerfest movie, old German lady that is perverted...that's my 996). She's fun as hell but for the first time in a long time, I find myself not able to "compete" with modern cars that have high HP. I'm not used to that, lol. I know, there's always someone with a faster car, but I've always been used to being in that top 5% of streetable cars that is fast in my area....do any of you still fight that feeling or urge? When I drive her, I basically am like, I don't care if you have a faster car, this car just feels fun. Even my friend with a Demon Charger loves my car, lol. Anyways, I'm rambling, but just would love to hear everyone's experiences and stories.
Old 03-15-2024 | 11:47 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Yah its those dang double clutch transmissions! I do really enjoy driving the manual though.
The following users liked this post:
G8rJimbo (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 11:49 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I honestly could give a flying F. I bought my car for me, don't care if someone's else's car is faster
The following 5 users liked this post by docwyte:
Carlo_Carrera (03-15-2024), Dock (03-15-2024), G8rJimbo (03-15-2024), kamlung (03-22-2024), PaleAle (03-18-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 11:55 AM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
Yah its those dang double clutch transmissions! I do really enjoy driving the manual though.
Man, they are SOOOO smooth.....
Old 03-15-2024 | 12:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
Curious: I've been doing the car/horsepower chase for a long time (hate to even admit this, but over 30 years now). I've always had high HP cars and often times, did the work myself. I love driving the 996. I've named her Gamgam (think Beerfest movie, old German lady that is perverted...that's my 996). She's fun as hell but for the first time in a long time, I find myself not able to "compete" with modern cars that have high HP. I'm not used to that, lol. I know, there's always someone with a faster car, but I've always been used to being in that top 5% of streetable cars that is fast in my area....do any of you still fight that feeling or urge? When I drive her, I basically am like, I don't care if you have a faster car, this car just feels fun. Even my friend with a Demon Charger loves my car, lol. Anyways, I'm rambling, but just would love to hear everyone's experiences and stories.
"I know, there's always someone with a faster car, but I've always been used to being in that top 5% of streetable cars that is fast in my area....do any of you still fight that feeling or urge?"

I've never had that feeling or urge.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dock:
G8rJimbo (03-15-2024), PaleAle (03-18-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 12:15 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
"I know, there's always someone with a faster car, but I've always been used to being in that top 5% of streetable cars that is fast in my area....do any of you still fight that feeling or urge?"

I've never had that feeling or urge.
Dock, I assume you enjoy the spirited drive or cruise as opposed to competing at the track? I get it and understand.
Old 03-15-2024 | 12:21 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Do you live in a wealthy metro area?

I see alot of fast cars around here in the tri-state area but the tuning scene here is pretty deep for almost every platform it seems. I know my car isn't the fastest but it's still faster than 90% of the cars on the road.

I am not a German car guy..I got my 996TT as a 35th bday present since I never got married or had kids and my career started taking off a few years ago. I wanted an Evo 8/9 but couldn't justify spending 50k+ on a Lancer with a turbo on it and don't have the time to buy a cheaper one and put the wrench time in to rebuild/resto-mod it. I figured I could just get the real thing and make 500 WHP with bolt ons and the 996TT is the right platform for me as I can still wrench on it myself. My goals are just to make it a competent street car that may get taken to the track once or twice unless my financial situation changes but for now I have my DC2 integra for that.

A low to mid 12 second car is just about right for a street car and with the right suspension setup can be a very fast track car as well with the right driver.

To me the 911 turbo is the most practical supercar. Not sure i'd want to daily a Ferrari or Mclaren unless money was *truly* no object.

Last edited by vtec_; 03-15-2024 at 12:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by vtec_:
G8rJimbo (03-15-2024), QwikKotaTX (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 12:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
Dock, I assume you enjoy the spirited drive or cruise as opposed to competing at the track? I get it and understand.
Yes. And my drives in the Turbo are not always spirited.

My Turbo has never been to the track.

G8rJimbo (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 12:32 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtec_
Do you live in a wealthy metro area?

I see alot of fast cars around here in the tri-state area but the tuning scene here is pretty deep for almost every platform it seems. I know my car isn't the fastest but it's still faster than 90% of the cars on the road.

I am not a German car guy..I got my 996TT as a 35th bday present since I never got married or had kids and my career started taking off a few years ago. I wanted an Evo 8/9 but couldn't justify spending 50k+ on a Lancer with a turbo on it and don't have the time to buy a cheaper one and put the wrench time in to rebuild/resto-mod it. I figured I could just get the real thing and make 500 WHP with bolt ons and the 996TT is the right platform for me as I can still wrench on it myself. My goals are just to make it a competent street car that may get taken to the track once or twice unless my financial situation changes but for now I have my DC2 integra for that.

A low to mid 12 second car is just about right for a street car and with the right suspension setup can be a very fast track car as well with the right driver.

To me the 911 turbo is the most practical supercar. Not sure i'd want to daily a Ferrari or Mclaren unless money was *truly* no object.
Not a wealthy metro area, but def a haven for fast cars. We just hosted Sick week last month and then the following week was the Spring Break Shootout followed by Gator Nationals, lol. I agree with everything you said tho. I have bikes, have had high HP cars...just really love the ability of my 996...and am tempted to make it even faster but you know...launching becomes an issue, unlike modern cars and their fancy-schamncy launch controls.
Old 03-15-2024 | 02:21 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

I feel ya - I just got a Tesla Model S Plaid - the hp, torque, and acceleration is next level but it feels totally different. It’s like driving a video game - I love it but I kept my 996TT for a reason. 😜
The following 2 users liked this post by leftlane:
DSA5 (03-15-2024), G8rJimbo (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 04:33 PM
DSA5
Instructor

Originally Posted by leftlane
I feel ya - I just got a Tesla Model S Plaid - the hp, torque, and acceleration is next level but it feels totally different. It’s like driving a video game - I love it but I kept my 996TT for a reason. 😜
100%. Being the fastest car is meaningless these days. I bought my manual TT in reaction to electrification. I like that it goes slower. I even sometimes wish it was even slower so I could get more of out the car when driving it. I know I’m not driving anywhere near its capabilities, and it still legit scares me sometimes.

the teslas of the world have highlights to me that driving enjoyment is REALLY about engagement. An electric go kart goes faster, but the party trick is short lived.

I have no interest is trying to show I’m faster than anyone else. I’m probably not!! Especially with a manual.

The following 2 users liked this post by DSA5:
CRYSTALCLEAR (03-16-2024), G8rJimbo (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 04:41 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I most certainly have faster cars than the turbo, but the turbo, its sweet engine note, and the fantastic rowing of the gears makes it my favorite.

Hands down.

Period.
G8rJimbo (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 04:45 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

I guess I'm not the only one feeling like the OP....time for bigger turbos?
The following 2 users liked this post by geetee:
G8rJimbo (03-15-2024), kamlung (03-22-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 04:49 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

I agree it is a great drivers car once you fix some of the lackluster elements. Coil overs, sway bars, toe arms, exhaust, tune, GT2 clutch, and a shifter upgrade makes it a joy to drive.
​​
G8rJimbo (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024 | 05:09 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geetee
I guess I'm not the only one feeling like the OP....time for bigger turbos?
You’re spot on!

Quick Reply: Keeping up with the Jones