Old 02-13-2024, 11:46 AM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
I'm lovin' it!
Thanks! Me too.

Originally Posted by vtec_
If the car is boosting 1.1 bar it def isnt a stock tune or if it is..somethings going on there.
On the matter of the 1.1 bar boost and the EvoMS tune, Sharky (Alex at Shark Werks) who installed that tune 10 years ago said no way it passes CA Smog last week unless it's been flashed back to stock, and that the bar-o-meter on the dash is laggy, inaccurate, and subject to brief anomalies. At some point I'll run all three cars on a quarter mile or similar comparison and post results. If nothing else, it will be fun to see how the Tip compares to the 6spds.

Are the lines pinned? It might not be a bad idea to take out the elbow behind the alternator and pin it or use jbweld or some sort of expoxy (jbweld) to re-seal it. Mine just popped the other day.
I'm in the middle of a full engine-out refresh on the black 996TT due to a blown coolant line. Debating welding vs pin and glue. I doubt I'll proactively address coolant fittings on the Guards Red or Speed Yellow cars. If they blow on street driving, I'll limp home like I did before, and pull out my hundreds of photos and dozens of videos and notes on engine + gearbox drop last June. A LOT of fun, for those who haven't been there.

I think red wheels look pretty good on a seal grey car like the GT3 variant Porsche put out. That's about it though.
Agree that's a great use of red wheels. They might look acceptable on my black 996TT, but it has its original turbo twists on it, is bone stock exterior, and I think I'm more likely to sell the red HRE's and hopefully buy a Shark Werks sport exhaust for the GT3 with the proceeds.

Originally Posted by tucker8235
Beautiful car. Congratulations.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by manimal
Beautiful. That one is going to be hard to beat when looking for your next 996TT.
I agree! Next 911 is most likely Lava or Lizzard RS.

Originally Posted by Freier
Congrats, nice addition to the stable!
Thanks.

Originally Posted by SeabrookPorsche
Can I ask ballpark what you paid? I have a very similar opportunity to buy a 996 Turbo with the same miles.
Sorry, price is confidential between seller and buyer. Happy to opine on the low mile beauty you're considering. PM me with details and/or cell # if you want.

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Congrats! The wheels are a nice contrasting color to the body.
Ugh, really? I joked with seller when he first texted me a photo, "I can't UNSEE that!". HRE's going on marketplace in a month or two if anyone loves red wheels.

Last edited by wkf94025; 02-13-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:47 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 112 Posts

What kind of garage do you have for all of these sweet rides?
Old 02-13-2024, 11:55 AM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
What kind of garage do you have for all of these sweet rides?
Short answer is not enough. As much as I dream of a big warehouse with service lifts, office, 911 **** on the walls, etc, etc., my storage is basic garages scattered across a couple different residential properties. Race trailer is home to one of the cars, and 4 post Bendpak helps a bit in one "garage" framed and poured between two storage containers. One property is an hour west, another is two hours north. So not very convenient. I also dream of an unused barn somewhere within 30min (a different flavor of "barn find" ;-), or a spec house with full basement, 10ft ceilings, car elevator, turntable, and the ultimate urban Porsche Cave. Most likely I'll just hobble along with the dispersed storage situation. Car clubs here in Silicon Valley / Peninsula are not cheap. $800/mo for a basic option in East Palo Alto, limited hours, no clubhouse, to $1000/mo in San Carlos for 24x7 access and some amenities.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:59 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 280 Posts

Why all of the 996 turbos? I'd want a variety cars if I was building a bit of a collection. My next car will probably be a 1996 Impala SS with a blower LS engine swap. I'm also currently restoring a 1972 Chevy Blazer with my dad.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:22 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Good question Bernard. I ask myself the same question. My last several acquisitions have been somewhat spontaneous. Most especially the 1943 M2 Halftrack. It came up on BaT in October, my dad drove one in Korea, and next thing you know I was high bidder as the clock read 0:00. And once you have a WWII 9 ton fighting machine, what more justification do you need for an F450 dually and gooseneck trailer? So not all my trips to the DMV in the past year have been about the 996TT. I do like building familiarity with a platform mechanically, and I find the 3 primary Achilles heel of the 996TT to be acceptable risks for long term cost of enjoyment: 1) coolant fittings, 2) 2nd gear pop-out; 3) spoiler hydraulics. I like the vision of a fully hardened 996TT, which is where my black '01 is headed: gearbox with full refresh by California Motor Sports, spoiler hydraulics sent off to Belgium for rebuild (still to go), and coolant fittings pinned or welded. I'll gradually run compression tests, leak-down tests, and used oil analysis on all three. I love the wrenching as much as the hunting, closing, and driving. I'm not expecting major appreciation ala 964 and 993, but if it happens, great. I do believe the 996TT is under-appreciated by the market at present, and think we'll see more and more 6-figure trades in the next few years.
Old 02-13-2024, 12:52 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wkf94025
Short answer is not enough. As much as I dream of a big warehouse with service lifts, office, 911 **** on the walls, etc, etc., my storage is basic garages scattered across a couple different residential properties. Race trailer is home to one of the cars, and 4 post Bendpak helps a bit in one "garage" framed and poured between two storage containers. One property is an hour west, another is two hours north. So not very convenient. I also dream of an unused barn somewhere within 30min (a different flavor of "barn find" ;-), or a spec house with full basement, 10ft ceilings, car elevator, turntable, and the ultimate urban Porsche Cave. Most likely I'll just hobble along with the dispersed storage situation. Car clubs here in Silicon Valley / Peninsula are not cheap. $800/mo for a basic option in East Palo Alto, limited hours, no clubhouse, to $1000/mo in San Carlos for 24x7 access and some amenities.
I can imagine space fills up fast with multiple hobby cars. Enclosed space of any sort is great compared to being out in the open for cars that are not daily drivers. Still sounds like a nice setup aside from the distant properties.

We have a place here that sells garages that are glorified storage units for $225k. The price goes up from there based on amenities and unit location. It's crazy. You could buy a small house with 2 car garage here for that.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:18 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

I recently priced garage condos in the Bay Area, and a 12x20 runs in the $400k-$500k range. That's a nice home in much of the country, right?!

Any alignment experts out there have any comments on the most recent setup on this car? Coincidentally the previous owner's weight is same as mine (175#).

Last edited by wkf94025; 02-13-2024 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:04 PM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

I am surprised you can get anything with a garage for $500k in that area.

That must be a good shop if they take into account driver weight.
The following users liked this post:
sdematt (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 03:29 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
I am surprised you can get anything with a garage for $500k in that area.
The facilities I have checked on are in Napa Valley and Santa Cruz, not core Silicon Valley / SF. Likely add 50% to that price range for peak zip codes.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:48 PM
BauerR
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts

Replace wheels with, literally, anything 3pce and you got a real winner.

Old 02-13-2024, 04:08 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Why all of the 996 turbos? I'd want a variety cars if I was building a bit of a collection. My next car will probably be a 1996 Impala SS with a blower LS engine swap. I'm also currently restoring a 1972 Chevy Blazer with my dad.
I'm wanting to put a blower on my RST... little bigger than the SS, but fun and needs more power.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:09 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkf94025
Good question Bernard. I ask myself the same question. My last several acquisitions have been somewhat spontaneous. Most especially the 1943 M2 Halftrack. It came up on BaT in October, my dad drove one in Korea, and next thing you know I was high bidder as the clock read 0:00. And once you have a WWII 9 ton fighting machine, what more justification do you need for an F450 dually and gooseneck trailer? So not all my trips to the DMV in the past year have been about the 996TT. I do like building familiarity with a platform mechanically, and I find the 3 primary Achilles heel of the 996TT to be acceptable risks for long term cost of enjoyment: 1) coolant fittings, 2) 2nd gear pop-out; 3) spoiler hydraulics. I like the vision of a fully hardened 996TT, which is where my black '01 is headed: gearbox with full refresh by California Motor Sports, spoiler hydraulics sent off to Belgium for rebuild (still to go), and coolant fittings pinned or welded. I'll gradually run compression tests, leak-down tests, and used oil analysis on all three. I love the wrenching as much as the hunting, closing, and driving. I'm not expecting major appreciation ala 964 and 993, but if it happens, great. I do believe the 996TT is under-appreciated by the market at present, and think we'll see more and more 6-figure trades in the next few years.
I have the space, the F450, but not the half-track...
sdematt (02-13-2024)
Old 02-13-2024, 05:52 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 279 Posts

You mean that you don't have a half-track YET.
c041v_ (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 02:00 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I'm wanting to put a blower on my RST... little bigger than the SS, but fun and needs more power.
I have a 5.3 Silverado pickup, it is painfully slow but I swore off modding it just to have a totally reliable vehicle. With the Impala I want to blast gangster rap and rev the motor at dudes in Chargers and Challengers, not sure what that says about me though LoL.
Old 02-14-2024, 11:04 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Heh, heh, heh...

Quick Reply: Speed Yellow at last