Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sourcing a ROW or X73 Suspension in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by e90076
I really don’t mind it being a little stiff since it’s a weekend only car but I’m having trouble finding a set of springs that will fit what I’m looking for. I’ve had good experiences with H&Rs in the past but they all seem to seek even wheel gap over a level ride height, so there’s some forward rake to the vehicle. My M2 CS has them and I’ve run into the same issue there. The TechArt springs look good but they are out of production. Eibach appears to be an option but I can’t find any images with them installed. Would appreciate it if anyone has some photos to share.
I'm not sure what is meant "even wheel gap over a level ride height"? But not unexpectedly the thread has turned into the seemingly never ending debate over "coilovers Vs lowering springs". While the X73 ROW setup you initially asked about also used Bilstein dampers that can ( again ) be most closely approximated by using the "newer" B8's with the H&R "sport" ( or similar ) springs. From all I can tell they are virtually one and the same, although a "lower" ride height will result from using the "H&R's" from the X73's -10mm - -20mm depending ROW v US. ( I think I have that right - but close, either way )

The "closest" you can get to a similarly set up suspension to the now no longer available factory "X73" suspension is the Bilstein B8's and lowering springs. That's just the way it is. Whether that's the "right" setup for you? Is up to you alone and there is no debate.

Shock Absorber - Bilstein B8 Performance Plus - Rear Left or Right

Part #: 24-029940-M712

$259.00

Shock Absorber - Bilstein B8 Performance Plus - Front Left or Right

Part #: 22-046130-M712

$289.00

Product Details

Porsche H&R Sport Spring Set - Porsche 996 Turbo. H&R Part#: HR-29385

The current price of a set of H&R "sport" lowering springs is about $425/$450 +/-. So, all in - That's a perfectly usable $1500.00 suspension refresh that will suit many if not most people, that drive their cars on the street, even with occasional "dual duty". So, unless you change your mind and opt for a coilover setup or the other choices you cited? This is optimal to answer what your original query asked, and it sure "inexpensively" beats the stock setup IMHO.

Old 10-29-2023, 03:42 PM
e90076
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
I'm not sure what is meant "even wheel gap over a level ride height"? But not unexpectedly the thread has turned into the seemingly never ending debate over "coilovers Vs lowering springs". While the X73 ROW setup you initially asked about also used Bilstein dampers that can ( again ) be most closely approximated by using the "newer" B8's with the H&R "sport" ( or similar ) springs. From all I can tell they are virtually one and the same, although a "lower" ride height will result from using the "H&R's" from the X73's -10mm - -20mm depending ROW v US. ( I think I have that right - but close, either way )

The "closest" you can get to a similarly set up suspension to the now no longer available factory "X73" suspension is the Bilstein B8's and lowering springs. That's just the way it is. Whether that's the "right" setup for you? Is up to you alone and there is no debate.

Shock Absorber - Bilstein B8 Performance Plus - Rear Left or Right

Part #: 24-029940-M712

$259.00

Shock Absorber - Bilstein B8 Performance Plus - Front Left or Right

Part #: 22-046130-M712

$289.00

Product Details

Porsche H&R Sport Spring Set - Porsche 996 Turbo. H&R Part#: HR-29385

The current price of a set of H&R "sport" lowering springs is about $425/$450 +/-. So, all in - That's a perfectly usable $1500.00 suspension refresh that will suit many if not most people, that drive their cars on the street, even with occasional "dual duty". So, unless you change your mind and opt for a coilover setup or the other choices you cited? This is optimal to answer what your original query asked, and it sure "inexpensively" beats the stock setup IMHO.
You’re correct about it turning into a springs vs coils debate. I appreciate everyone’s inputs and I get the trade offs, but my driver for the X73 or ROW was to get a set-up tuned to work together by Porsche. I recognize the coils are tuned to work together as well but I don’t have a local installer that can finely tune the compression and rebound. I’ll have to give it some more thought.

What I mean by even wheel gap…the front has more wheel gap than the rear so the H&Rs seem to lower the front more than the rear. The resulting wheel gap then looks even but rake is added to the car. I’d really like to find a set up that lowers .75 to 1 inch all around.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:33 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 377 Likes on 264 Posts

You're over thinking this. I have track tuned Feals with Eibach sways and rear toe arms. The setup is amazing.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:37 PM
e90076
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
You're over thinking this. I have track tuned Feals with Eibach sways and rear toe arms. The setup is amazing.
Guess I’m picky.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:01 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 337 Posts

I feel the H&R's lower the car too much, especially in the front. You lose bump travel and the handling and ride suffer because of that. I don't like a super low car as I like to drive them, that's where coilovers really shine, you can set the ride height exactly where you want. The Bilstein PSS10's are excellent street coilovers, I had the PSS9's for several years and really liked them. I only removed them because a more track oriented setup popped up locally, very lightly used.
The following 2 users liked this post by docwyte:
e90076 (10-29-2023), vtec_ (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 12:28 AM
vtec_
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I feel the H&R's lower the car too much, especially in the front. You lose bump travel and the handling and ride suffer because of that. I don't like a super low car as I like to drive them, that's where coilovers really shine, you can set the ride height exactly where you want. The Bilstein PSS10's are excellent street coilovers, I had the PSS9's for several years and really liked them. I only removed them because a more track oriented setup popped up locally, very lightly used.
did/do you have any issues with your bilsten coilovers and the PSM/ABS issue regarding the abs wire being stretched out and the connection going bad?

do you think dropping the car at or close to an inch would prevent this from happening?
Old 10-30-2023, 10:40 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 337 Posts

No. All that stuff stays at the same static height as stock...

Quick Reply: Sourcing a ROW or X73 Suspension in the U.S.