Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 09:50 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Can't get left headlight to come out

Hello All,

I noticed my left-side driving light bulb was out (the tiny one in the headlight). When I went to remove the headlight assembly with the tool in the pouch, the release mechanism was much tighter than typical. It finally "popped" and was loose, but it would not rotate any more to release the assembly. If I try to put a little more pressure on the tool, it REALLY feels tight and the headlight does not move at all.

I double-checked my procedure with the right-hand headlight, and it worked fine. The release was light, and further rotation pushes the headlight out. So somethings going on with my left-hand headlight release mechanism.

Has anyone had any issues with a sticky headlight, or a situation like this? Any idea how to get the headlight out? For the record, I've never taken this headlight out before.

Thanks much,
Steve
Old 10-22-2023, 10:05 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

I have the same problem with my right headlight. The mounting plate underneath has a crack and allows "flexing" so as to make it difficult to remove the light housing. My tool seemed to be slipping so I bought a long hex wrench and with much struggling I can get it out. I can only suggest wrestling with it (not too much muscle) & see if you can get it out. Good luck with it.
TK
Old 10-23-2023, 07:33 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 187 Likes on 131 Posts

Use an appropriate socket with extension. The tool may round out and skip, which may feel like the lever moving.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
The following 3 users liked this post by RennKit-Dave:
Carlo_Carrera (10-23-2023), pop.tremuloides (12-01-2023), sullivs (10-24-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 02:12 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

The headlight washer inlet at the back could be misaligned. You'll find out when you go to use it and it goes on the ground.
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (10-23-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 09:31 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

I finally got it out, after some fiddling. I switched to a 5mm socket and that felt much more solid (thanks Rennkit-Dave). Then after working it back and forth, for some reason I pushed on the top of the bumper, right in front of the headlight, while applying pressure to the socket, and it popped out.

So upon further examination, it appears that it was hanging up on the top edge of the bumper. I replaced the burnt out bulb and put the headlight assy back it. Then to double-check myself, I tried removing it again with light hand pressure on the bumper, right in front of the headlight, and it came right out! I don't see anything obvious thats protruding. But, at least now I can get her out if I have to.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and encouragement.
Steve

Old 10-26-2023, 09:45 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,532 Likes on 1,859 Posts

The headlight tray is adjustable with those gold nuts. U may have to raise the front slightly?
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (10-26-2023)
Old 10-29-2023, 03:02 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm going to leave well enough alone. Now that I know how to get it out of my particular car, it's a non-issue.

Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply: Can't get left headlight to come out