Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 01:45 PM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this a good deal? 2002 Turbo with 23K miles

https://rpexotics.com/vehicle/porsch...carrera-turbo/

Able to get price down to 76K.

A few things to mention however. First, there aren't really any service records but it only has 23K miles. Carfax shows last service in 2018. Second it has an ECU tune and an exhaust. I was looking for a stock car for future value and less worries about things going wrong so that is kind of turning me away from the car. I asked the seller for more info about the tune and he said he wasn't sure what kind and only knew that it was 1.1 bar and mentioned that the exhaust was catless.

Any advice on this?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2023, 02:30 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 254 Posts

It looks like a really nice car. It says it was in a big collection and that looks to be the case given the miles and condition. There's always some risk buying a used car but this looks really solid.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:33 PM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
It looks like a really nice car. It says it was in a big collection and that looks to be the case given the miles and condition. There's always some risk buying a used car but this looks really solid.
Yes, but the lack of service records on the Carfax worries me a bit along with the modifications. Is it easy to remove the tune?
Old 09-05-2023, 02:41 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't think tunes are difficult to remove - but why would you? If the car drives nice and pulls well, then enjoy as-is.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:57 PM
Titos 911
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I think $76K is way too much without any documentation, Below are two links of a few for sale so you can compare where they land, If you are looking for a stock car stay with that, I recently purchased a 2002 with lots of modifications, I was looking exactly for that only if the paperwork could support the work/history

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...urbo-coupe-12/

Sold for $67.5K
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-turbo-coupe-19/

Last edited by Titos 911; 09-05-2023 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
T3C (10-29-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 03:11 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Titos 911
I think $76K is way too much without any documentation, Below are two links of a few for sale so you can compare where they land, If you are looking for a stock car stay with that, I recently purchased a 2002 with lots of modifications, I was looking exactly for that only if the paperwork could support the work/history

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...urbo-coupe-12/

Sold for $67.5K
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-turbo-coupe-19/
why would you compare cars with double the miles? he said he is looking for future values. seems to be a good deal at 76 if all checks out. I would change back the exhaust and get a cobb to put back original tune. original gets the $$$$.
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbodan:
Carlo_Carrera (09-05-2023), rael (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 04:29 PM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbodan
why would you compare cars with double the miles? he said he is looking for future values. seems to be a good deal at 76 if all checks out. I would change back the exhaust and get a cobb to put back original tune. original gets the $$$$.
what’s a Cobb? they unfortunately no longer have the original exhaust
Old 09-05-2023, 05:29 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Cobb is access port, handheld device which can load tunes on your car and revert back to stock. probably the cheapest way to return to stock. I suggest leaving exhaust and looking for an original someone has taken off. I think price is good if car checks out, need paint meter and view in person only.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:04 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,460 Posts

I agree with most above.

That is a good price for car that low mileage. Have PPI done, a good shop should be able to tell you what tune the car has, and take it for a quick test drive if it feels good buy it. Black over Black is very desirable combo, this car will appreciate in value well over time.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:09 PM
RamoThePharaoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I agree with most above.

That is a good price for car that low mileage. Have PPI done, a good shop should be able to tell you what tune the car has, and take it for a quick test drive if it feels good buy it. Black over Black is very desirable combo, this car will appreciate in value well over time.
I wouldn't be able to drive it because I live in Michigan but I'll try to find someone that can do a PPI.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:55 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Carfax shmarfax- not all shops report to them and plenty of people DIY the maintenance. Does the seller have any paperwork? How long has he owned it? If it looks great, checks out on a PPI, and is what you want, then jump on it - my bet is values only go up from here.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:47 AM
Wirebender
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If the PPI checks out get on a plane and see the car. You won't regret it either way. Don't over think the tune and exhaust mods as previously mentioned those are easily brought back to stock if desired. The mileage is perfect!
The following users liked this post:
Turbodan (09-06-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 08:21 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

At 23K Miles that motor is barely broken in. I wouldn't be in the least bit concerned about maintenance or lack of reportage or receipts.
If that's the car you want. Have it looked over independently and get them down to $69k and grab it.

The possible mystery tune and aftermarket exhaust are non issues on a 23k mile 996 Turbo, imho.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:56 PM
Diego
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don’t put much faith in Carfax. When I bought my 01 Turbo the Carfax just showed how many times the car changed owners and location but showed a clean record as far as accidents. Well low and behold after careful inspection the car was involved in an accident at some point but was not reported on Carfax. Also mine did not come with any service records either. I got a PPI done and it checked out ok with a few minor issues. I did buy it and no regrets. I took care of the minor issues the car had and it’s been great for the last 9 years I have owned it. As far as the beautiful 02 Turbo in question here, I would of course get a PPI done and if everything checks out ok I would buy it regardless of service history or not providing you are ok with the price.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:53 PM
one4torque
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid $85K for my 02 996 tt w/15,500 miles (all stock) back in Jan this year... at the peak from a p car dealer in Co.

Prices have softened since then (IMHO).

Look at this in person on a lift and attend a quality PPI.....

price seems ok to me.... totally dep on any issues upon inspection.

Mine had a faulty sunroof.... and a few more scratches on the front bumper and sunroof than was represented upon sale..... i had another person inspect for me.. (shame on me).

if all checks out that price seems good to me.

YES you can get one cheaper.... but I've found through my search the price is commensurate with condition

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal? 2002 Turbo with 23K miles