Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please sign up ASAP to reserve Track Day (August 9th Thunderhill)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Fred TTX50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK everyone, here is the final email prior to the event Monday.

Please note the following:

SUNDAY Drive to Willow

Meeting point #1
Carslen Porsche Redwood City:
Noon arrival. Depart at 1pm.

Meeting point #2
Tiburon (SAMS Cafe)
27 Main Street
Tiburon, California 94920
Arrive 2pm. Depart 4pm.
http://www.samscafe.com/index.html

Meeting point #3
Dinner at Casaramos
7pm
http://www.casaramos.net/willows.html
247 Humbolt
Willows, California 95988

PLEASE BE AT THE TRACK NO LATER THAN 7AM ! and make sure to get your cars Inspected. Akkurat can handle the inspections. (George 650-801-0000)

Thanks everyone and see you soon. It will be a GREAT day of driving and meeting people.

Fred (650)906-8809
Old 08-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Akkurat_PGI
AutoX

Fred,
Thanks for organizing a really great event. We had an awesome turnout! Also, thanks to Brian Haske of Carlsen Porsche, Hunpin Toh of Unlimited Laps, and the guys a Clear Armor for their sponsorship.

Here's a link to a few pictures http://www.akkuratpgi.com/events.html

George
Akkurat Performance Group
Old 08-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Fred TTX50
Instructor

I wanted to start a picture thread for the Thunderhill track day. So for those who have pics, please put it on this thread. Thanks!

Let me start by saying that the event was a huge success. I believe everyone had fun.

A special thanks to Akkurat, Unlimited Laps, Clear Armor and Carlsen for helping sponsor the event. Also a great thanks to all the drivers who came and took a day off from work.

Here were some highlights:

1. 105 degree temps (boy was it HOT!)
2. I believe close to 55-60 Porsches in total!
3. Kirby doing a 180!
4. No major accidents, just some going off course and causing some little fires ;-)
5. Me, taking the Cayenne out!
and much more....

So here are some pics everyone. I am looking into another event as we speak!

http://homepage.mac.com/fredcourtot/PhotoAlbum67.html
Old 08-10-2004, 07:56 PM
dirtdoc
Advanced

Fred:

All that I can say is great job, the track day was AWESOME, first class without a doubt. Also thanks to the sponsors for their help in keeping the cost down... look forward to seeing you folks next time.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:35 AM
AndyW
Instructor

I had an AWESOME time !!! Not only was it great meeting a LOT of people who's names I'd seen on the forums before... but also meeting those I wasn't even aware of. The whole trip was great. From start at Carlsen meeting point #1, to the end of the day on Monday where we departed ways. I had a blast !!! Holey smokes.... Kirby did 180 mph !?!?!? What kind of lap times was he getting ??? where did he hit 180 mph ? btw T15 and T1 ???

I ended up running in Yellow group. And out of four sessions, we managed to have one session with NO off-roading incidents. :-)

In session 1, I got to see a silver 993 TT take the dirt RIGHT in front of me ~ T12/T13. In session 2, I got to see the blue Subaru take the dirt in T1 two cars ahead of me.

I was torn as to what to do about session #3, but I'm glad I stuck it out. I had lots of open track.... hardly ever got caught in traffic, and people were all good about point-by's. The only bummer was.... towards the end of session #2, my gas light went on .DOH. Bonehead move on my part. I had to cut session #3 short, because I was getting some kind of 'brake fluid low' warning .... I got off the track.... check fluid.. it was full, checked pads.. they were fine... then Kevin suggested it was just overheating the fluid... sure enough... a few minutes later... turned car off, turned it back on... and warning went away... unfortunately, so did my session #3.

Awesome day though ... I'm curious as to what mishaps did occur.... I know some people had some overheating issues, one cracked/broken windshield ..... but I don't think there was any sheet metal contact, or any rolling of cars... and that is a GOOD thing! :-)

I had a great time... Thanks very much to Fred for putting it together and all the sponsors !!!

It was great that there were tons of fluids available for us to stay hydrated, and the little snacks. Nice treat to have a nice hot lunch, as opposed to a boxed lunch.

Great experience.... I hope to see the same guys out there again.

There was one amazingly stick mini cooper S out there, running Toyo RA1's.... anyone know who that was ? He was just 'glued' through the corners... fun to watch.

Andy
Old 08-11-2004, 01:39 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

http://www.akkuratpgi.com/events.html

Just a few more pix
Old 08-12-2004, 01:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,690 Likes on 2,338 Posts

kirby did an 180 means he spun. no in any 996, i doubt you will ever reach 180mph anywhere at thunderhill.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:59 AM
AndyW
Instructor

Right, I just re-read it. Doh... my bad read. I realized it when I saw his 'spin' pictures! :-) John... it didn't click that you were the one in the yellow GT3 there, right ? Rats... I would have liked to have met you. I saw your GT3 there... most of the time it was parked without driver or on the track.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:07 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

no, the yellow GT3 wasn't mine. it was driving by a much better driver than myself. he was flying. i was in a plain jane silver 996C2 with "tc design" sticker on the windshield in the fast group.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:28 PM
AndyW
Instructor

hmmm... "tc design"... where have I seen that before. I think Robyn (yellow 996 C2, with GT3 like wing) had something similar across the top of her front windshield. Was it ?

What made you decide to bring out the C2 instead of the GT3 ? Hey wait.. your signature... which of those P-cars are historically owned, versus currently owned ? Or are they all CURRENTLY owned ?
Old 08-12-2004, 01:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

no, i was the only car with tc design on it.
currently the C2 is set up a lot better than the GT3 for tracking. furthermore, i am not enough of a driver to really benefit from GT3 anyways. it will take me another 5 years just to hustle the C2 around. until i get to 2:08 or 2:06 in my C2 at TH, i don't see much reason to drive GT3. currently i can only hit 2:11 so, i got a looooong way to go.

currently i only have 996c2 and 996gt3.

pm me with your email address so we don't tie up the line with these conversations.

Quick Reply: Please sign up ASAP to reserve Track Day (August 9th Thunderhill)