Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 06:16 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowBoxster951
I guess I just need to burn through a clutch or two and practice 😂😂
If you are talking about hard launches I wouldn't recommend drop-clutch starts or you will indeed go through clutches.

When I use WOT it's always from a roll.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:03 AM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Also don’t think it’s quick off the line, although I don’t usually try to launch it. 1st gear maxes out quick, 2nd gear around 3500, it then takes off..
I liked Boxster clutch so much better, it’s still my favorite car. If I want quick off the line, I’ll take the CTS-V..
Old 08-01-2022, 11:01 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default There may be issues with your turbo

I can't break the tires loose at all. Maybe a tiny little chirp but that's about it. I'm barely getting up to 20-30 in 1st before red line and then in second gear is when boost kicks in and I can get damn near 70 miles an hour before I'm shifting into third. I'm usually seeing around .6-.7 boost at full throttle. Once I'm in second third fourth gear I'm flying but even like 5th gear at 5,000 RPM I step on it it's not throwing me back in the back of the seat.

I would kill for "neck snapping". That's why I bought the damn thing in the first place lol. It's like the car has a high top speed but it takes an hour to get there. Although the clutch is not when I'm used to. You have to let the clutch almost all the way out to barely get a grab in first gear I don't know if that's normal with this car or not. PPI inspector said the clutch was perfect but this is my first 911 so I'm just having to go off what he said. Also I find myself almost stalling it out every time I have to take off in first which is new for me because I've only ever driven manuals my entire life so I consider myself a decent driver. My last car was a boxster S manual and that thing was a little rocket ship.

Today I went out on a flat empty strip and practiced launching a few times. I tried launching it at 2500 3,000 3500 4,000 up to 4,500 and the most I get is either a really bogged down start or a ton of wheel hop with a really bogged down start. Was trying to find the sweet spot. There is never tires breaking loose. Although I did not turn the PSM off because I'm still learning the car and don't want to kill myself yet. Maybe that's the issue here?

For all I know I could be driving it wrong but I've only had it for a week and should probably take some driving lessons specific to the car or something. The car looks mint in and out and seems perfect other than the fact that it's molasses in January until boost kicks in.

Here's the thread I was reading on how to launch the car: (apologies if I'm not allowed to post that link here)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ual-turbo.html

Anyway I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am getting a Markski tune and an exhaust put on so maybe he can run some diagnostics for me and get to the bottom of it.

Honestly the first time I drove the car I was pretty disappointed because I thought it was going to ****ing throw me into the back like the 997 c4s manual I test drove a week before. That thing was naturally aspirated but holy **** it was quick. I feel like that thing would murder this car in a heartbeat.
A 997 Carrera S is a 4.6-4.5 seconds to 60 car. My 99 can do 4.6-4.5. Now my turbo is 3.8-3.7 all the time. I’m seeing as high as .9 bar boost. The total set up of the turbo is still a mystery but
it looks like K24s
with agency power
intercoolers, diverter valves, nhp exhaust and headers. The car has a 2.5 Sachs clutch. I really want to launch it harder but I’m not going to burn the clutch. As soon as we can double check the turbos and injectors we will know what we have. Even a 2013
carrera S with a 7 speed manual transmission 400 hp was tested at
4.3 seconds to sixty, these turbos are fast and you can only make them faster.

It’s not as fast or quick as I taught.

That yellow is awesome.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,538 Posts

2004 6mt cab, Bone stock, 75k...
it definitely needs a suspension refresh and an exhaust note...
The turbo lag is not my favorite but man when it kicks in hold on!!! Cant wait till Marek sets me up for success.
Congrat's, that's quite an upgrade! And impressive spec...

Completely agree, a tune and a fresh suspension will improve the car dramatically...

On the turbo lag, a stock non-S, non-tip turbo at sea level should not have significant lag. I suspect you have some boost leaks. VERY common, often the turbochargers still will make full boost just take longer to do so. Most shops do not know how to properly boost test these cars, even the dealers, so even if it has a 'fresh' service, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bad check valve or other leaks.

Get it fully sorted before tuning, fresh plugs, fresh coils, fresh fuel filter, and a full pressurized boost leak test. Plenty of threads describing how to do that, but if you can't find them, post back up here and we will guide you to the right place.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:31 PM
YellowBoxster951
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Congrat's, that's quite an upgrade! And impressive spec...

Completely agree, a tune and a fresh suspension will improve the car dramatically...

On the turbo lag, a stock non-S, non-tip turbo at sea level should not have significant lag. I suspect you have some boost leaks. VERY common, often the turbochargers still will make full boost just take longer to do so. Most shops do not know how to properly boost test these cars, even the dealers, so even if it has a 'fresh' service, I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bad check valve or other leaks.

Get it fully sorted before tuning, fresh plugs, fresh coils, fresh fuel filter, and a full pressurized boost leak test. Plenty of threads describing how to do that, but if you can't find them, post back up here and we will guide you to the right place.
Thanks for all the tips. Markski is helping me diagnose some of this stuff. He gave me a tune today and I am hitting 1.1 bar but no noticeable difference in performance and a loud whistling noise under full throttle. Even with pcm off and a very aggressive start I still cant break the tires loose and the car just feels tired. He is sending me a boost leak tester and will go from there.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:15 PM
tucker8235
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I've never had any wheelspin on mine even after Europipe exhaust and Markski tune hitting 1.3bar peak and then retreats to 1.1 on k16 turbos just like what you have. I assume decent tires and with awd working you wouldn't have any.
I would love an LSD but don't think it would be noticeable on the street unless you converted to 2wd and then you can end up facing the wrong direction if you are not careful.
I have found the stock assisted clutch difficult to modulate as well, 25 years driving only manuals, tempted to do GT2 conversion but also not looking forward to a super heavy clutch. Need to try one out and see how much stiffer the clutch becomes.
I don't find first gear to be very rewarding to push hard, once you are moving though every other gear is fantastic.
Thinking about a numeric shifter and cables to improve shifting feel.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tucker8235
I assume decent tires and with awd working you wouldn't have any.
The AWD isn't part of what's preventing rear wheel spin.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:07 PM
tucker8235
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you talking about with viscous coupling, awd is going to minimize but not prevent wheelspin as the front wheels are only engaged at 5% when starting out unless there is wheel spin which will then transfer more power to the front?
Rear-engined also helps with minimizing wheel spin with the majority of the weight being in the back and weight transfer from launching again going to the rear.
Or are you saying lack of enough power is what is preventing wheel spin lol?
Old 08-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Although I did not turn the PSM off...Maybe that's the issue here?
That could be a contributor.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 834 Posts

There's too much tire and weight in the back of these cars to spin the tires much, they have too much traction. When I first got my car and it had ten year old tires on it I could spin them pretty easily (and get a ton of wheel hop). With newer tires, I can't get more than a small chirp out of them even when drag racing and with my front diff turned off (you can't run yours off, my car has a non-996 all wheel drive system).
Old 08-03-2022, 01:26 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tucker8235
Are you talking about with viscous coupling, awd is going to minimize but not prevent wheelspin as the front wheels are only engaged at 5% when starting out unless there is wheel spin which will then transfer more power to the front?
Rear-engined also helps with minimizing wheel spin with the majority of the weight being in the back and weight transfer from launching again going to the rear.
Or are you saying lack of enough power is what is preventing wheel spin lol?
There isn't enough power gong to the front wheels to prevent rear wheel spin. Additionally, there isn't much weight at all over the front wheels because of dynamic weight distribution. Finally, there is a smaller tire contact patch in the front.

The great launch/acceleration traction is almost all about all of the weight over the rear wheels during acceleration (dynamic weight distribution.)
Old 08-03-2022, 01:56 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

if you guys aren't spinning tires (assuming PSM isn't just having a workout) then you aren't even making stock power, check for boost leaks...
Old 08-03-2022, 04:45 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,538 Posts

I don't think that 'wheelspin' is the best metric for judging if a Turbo is fully sorted, I never launch mine like that.

But @YellowBoxster951 mentioned several times that his car felt laggy, had whistling noises, and felt 'tired', so to me it absolutely sounds like a boost leak. And if burnouts are his goal, that will need to be sorted, AWD and boosted clutch hydraulics aside....

Last edited by pfbz; 08-03-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:47 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

No "launch" needed...rolling in first gear and hit the throttle=loss of traction.. with a tune/exhaust traction issues into 2nd/3rd

Quick Reply: Sold the Boxster, Bought the Turbo