Sponsored by:

Sold the Boxster, Bought the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 02:59 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Congrats

Welcome to the club. Markski is the man. I’m also in the process with him. I recently got my mechanic to put an exhaust and headers on mine and the throttle response turbo lag is better. My set up is loud but I like it. There is a rennlist guy selling an awe exhaust here, you may want that one, cobalt is awesome almost every Saturday at cars and coffee I see a guy that has same color combo as yours but in an 07 carrera S, love the car but it’s a trip. Anyway he got his wheels painted cobalt and they look awesome. I wanted cobalt but could never find a good deal.
Old 07-29-2022, 04:07 AM
YellowBoxster951
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Welcome to the club. Markski is the man. I’m also in the process with him. I recently got my mechanic to put an exhaust and headers on mine and the throttle response turbo lag is better. My set up is loud but I like it. There is a rennlist guy selling an awe exhaust here, you may want that one, cobalt is awesome almost every Saturday at cars and coffee I see a guy that has same color combo as yours but in an 07 carrera S, love the car but it’s a trip. Anyway he got his wheels painted cobalt and they look awesome. I wanted cobalt but could never find a good deal.
I already found a great deal on an exhaust on ebay, just waiting on install as my guy is booked til next week. Can you describe the difference in performance? The turbo lag is brutal and the car feels slow until boost rockets you forward. Markski flasher is already pn the way to me as we speak!
Old 07-29-2022, 05:09 AM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 468 Posts
Default Noticeable difference

Originally Posted by YellowBoxster951
I already found a great deal on an exhaust on ebay, just waiting on install as my guy is booked til next week. Can you describe the difference in performance? The turbo lag is brutal and the car feels slow until boost rockets you forward. Markski flasher is already pn the way to me as we speak!
The headers and exhaust made a significant difference. Now my car has upgraded turbos, people here were telling me they are K24’s I’m waiting on going to my mechanic again so we can take pics of those from the other side. I also have bigger intercoolers and I believe the clutch has been upgraded to a 2.5. Markski wants me to take a few more pictures so we can figure it out, I have seen as much as 0.9 boost so that’s not stock. My mechanic and I gasket matched the copper gasket to the headers. I also put a kN panel in. What exhaust did you got??
Old 07-29-2022, 09:15 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Congratulations on the Turbo! Cobalt Blue over black was my first choice when I was hunting, but in 6 months of looking, the very few that I found in that combo were all in the UK. Looks like the build sheet on yours shows Natural Gray rather than black. But, Natural Gray is a great and rare interior color that I think is better than black (especially for a cabriolet).
Sport seats with painted backs
GT3 wheels
Full Aluma-Look package
All nice options. Great find!

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 07-29-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:36 PM
YellowBoxster951
Instructor

Originally Posted by FRUNKenstein
Congratulations on the Turbo! Looks like the build sheet on yours shows Natural Gray rather than black. But, Natural Gray is a great and rare interior color that I think is better than black (especially for a cabriolet).
. Great find!
That's where I was confused because the interior is definitely black but on doing some research this morning I can see that natural gray is very dark and almost black. That explains it! Looks incredible in person. Thanks for the congratulations!

1997 to 2006 – 911 (996) Interior color codes - Porsche Maintenance Guides (howtoporsche.com)
Old 07-30-2022, 08:17 PM
YellowBoxster951
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993GT
the cab's are really nice to drive... add a LSD to the list
What exactly does the LSD do? Ive read 10+ threads asking which LSD to buy but none explain why its so great.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:20 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

Makes the car.
Honestly is the first mod any Turbo should have, transforms the chassis from the squirrelly thing it is to a very planted and capable unit.

What exactly does the LSD do? Ive read 10+ threads asking which LSD to buy but none explain why its so great.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:20 PM
YellowBoxster951
Instructor

Makes the car.
Honestly is the first mod any Turbo should have, transforms the chassis from the squirrelly thing it is to a very planted and capable unit.
I didn't realize it was squirrely. I was chasing a couple motorcyclists on some gnarly canyon runs the other day and that thing held the corners like it was a roller coaster. I think the first thing needed is a tune because this thing is a dog in first gear. I get beat by priuses in reverse off the line.

Last edited by YellowBoxster951; 07-30-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:03 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Not to highjack this original thread, but you are talking about the Limited Slip Differential, correct? Not many folks, or shops, know much about fooling around with those. '

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-30-2022, 10:17 PM
17ram2500
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts

I didn't realize it was squirrely. I was chasing a couple motorcyclists on some gnarly canyon runs the other day and that thing held the corners like it was a roller coaster. I think the first thing needed is a tune because this thing is a dog in first gear. I get beat by priuses in reverse off the line.
Have you checked for boost leaks? I recognize mine was tuned, and had an exhaust, but I would *hardly* describe first gear as "slow"
Old 07-30-2022, 10:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

I think the first thing needed is a tune because this thing is a dog in first gear. I get beat by priuses in reverse off the line.
First gear should be near "neck snapping."
The following 2 users liked this post by Dock:
Carlo_Carrera (07-30-2022), CRYSTALCLEAR (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 01:16 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

First gear or two in a Turbo is typically a mess IMO, they're scrambling for traction and shuffling around, LSD is noticeable immediately. LSD also adds a ton of pre/mid/post corner stability...once you have you'll never go back. Been thinking about picking up a 6-C2 for a daily, only mod I'd do is LSD...every 911 NEEDS one.
Sounds like maybe you have a big boost leak or other issues, should be frying a tire in first...what boost level are you seeing? and CEL/codes?...do a leak check
LSD and dialed in, you'll be happy

Old 07-31-2022, 02:25 AM
YellowBoxster951
Instructor

First gear or two in a Turbo is typically a mess IMO, they're scrambling for traction and shuffling around, LSD is noticeable immediately. LSD also adds a ton of pre/mid/post corner stability...once you have you'll never go back. Been thinking about picking up a 6-C2 for a daily, only mod I'd do is LSD...every 911 NEEDS one.
Sounds like maybe you have a big boost leak or other issues, should be frying a tire in first...what boost level are you seeing? and CEL/codes?...do a leak check
LSD and dialed in, you'll be happy
I can't break the tires loose at all. Maybe a tiny little chirp but that's about it. I'm barely getting up to 20-30 in 1st before red line and then in second gear is when boost kicks in and I can get damn near 70 miles an hour before I'm shifting into third. I'm usually seeing around .6-.7 boost at full throttle. Once I'm in second third fourth gear I'm flying but even like 5th gear at 5,000 RPM I step on it it's not throwing me back in the back of the seat.

I would kill for "neck snapping". That's why I bought the damn thing in the first place lol. It's like the car has a high top speed but it takes an hour to get there. Although the clutch is not when I'm used to. You have to let the clutch almost all the way out to barely get a grab in first gear I don't know if that's normal with this car or not. PPI inspector said the clutch was perfect but this is my first 911 so I'm just having to go off what he said. Also I find myself almost stalling it out every time I have to take off in first which is new for me because I've only ever driven manuals my entire life so I consider myself a decent driver. My last car was a boxster S manual and that thing was a little rocket ship.

Today I went out on a flat empty strip and practiced launching a few times. I tried launching it at 2500 3,000 3500 4,000 up to 4,500 and the most I get is either a really bogged down start or a ton of wheel hop with a really bogged down start. Was trying to find the sweet spot. There is never tires breaking loose. Although I did not turn the PSM off because I'm still learning the car and don't want to kill myself yet. Maybe that's the issue here?

For all I know I could be driving it wrong but I've only had it for a week and should probably take some driving lessons specific to the car or something. The car looks mint in and out and seems perfect other than the fact that it's molasses in January until boost kicks in.

Here's the thread I was reading on how to launch the car: (apologies if I'm not allowed to post that link here)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ual-turbo.html

Anyway I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am getting a Markski tune and an exhaust put on so maybe he can run some diagnostics for me and get to the bottom of it.

Honestly the first time I drove the car I was pretty disappointed because I thought it was going to ****ing throw me into the back like the 997 c4s manual I test drove a week before. That thing was naturally aspirated but holy **** it was quick. I feel like that thing would murder this car in a heartbeat.

Last edited by YellowBoxster951; 07-31-2022 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:43 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,905 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I haven't thought of these cars as particularly quick off the line, it's the mid speed acceleration that does it. Bogging down doesn't seem right though. Clutch finesse does seem common, the power assisted clutch can be tricky.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:53 PM
YellowBoxster951
Instructor

Originally Posted by theprf
I haven't thought of these cars as particularly quick off the line, it's the mid speed acceleration that does it. Bogging down doesn't seem right though. Clutch finesse does seem common, the power assisted clutch can be tricky.
I guess I just need to burn through a clutch or two and practice 😂😂

Quick Reply: Sold the Boxster, Bought the Turbo