Sponsored by:

Spontaneous Trip Odometer Reset

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Spontaneous Trip Odometer Reset

My car's trip odometer has recently started to randomly reset to "0.0" while I'm driving the car. The odometer itself works fine and just keeps rolling up the miles. Anyone have any ideas of what might cause the spontaneous resets on the trip odometer?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

probably something messed up behind the reset switch, maybe if you hit a bump it causes the reset.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:21 PM
JWILLI
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have noticed this as well. By chance did you install the new PCCM+? I think my issue started after installing that head unit.
The following users liked this post:
JodysCars (06-05-2023)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:36 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JWILLI
I have noticed this as well. By chance did you install the new PCCM+? I think my issue started after installing that head unit.
That's a good call-out! I did install a new PCCM+, and the spontaneous reset issue did actually start following the install. I never thought about that being the cause. Choosing between a reliable trip odometer and the new PCCM+? No brainer, - PCCM+. I'll just live with the spontaneous resets.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:53 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,153 Likes on 3,140 Posts

Originally Posted by spooltime
That's a good call-out! I did install a new PCCM+, and the spontaneous reset issue did actually start following the install. I never thought about that being the cause. Choosing between a reliable trip odometer and the new PCCM+? No brainer, - PCCM+. I'll just live with the spontaneous resets.
However, there should be a software fix for that from the dealer, or an inline resistor to jive with the new head unit - I would ask them.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:46 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

This is a known bug in the PCCM plus software, and there is a fix. How do we get PCCM updates?

Last edited by mffarrell; 07-28-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:35 PM
mchrist
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it helps to echo, I had a PCCM+ installed in Feb and the trip odometer started "spontaneously" resetting. As @spooltime mentioned - I will take the PCCM+ over the spontaneuos resets all day long, but if there's a patch or a fix, I would love to hear about it. I will be at the dealer and will mention this next week. Thanks for highlighting. I felt like I was "alone" and losing a small bit of my mind....
Old 07-29-2021, 11:44 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Once I get ahold of the software fix from Porsche, I will post the files on my Google drive.
The following users liked this post:
mchrist (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:33 PM
JWILLI
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Once I get ahold of the software fix from Porsche, I will post the files on my Google drive.
Awesome! Thank you.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:05 PM
Markbenw
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additional info

My car's trip odometer has recently started to randomly reset to "0.0" while I'm driving the car. The odometer itself works fine and just keeps rolling up the miles. Anyone have any ideas of what might cause the spontaneous resets on the trip odometer?
I started having the problem when PCCM+ was installed in my 996 cabrio. However, PCCM recently was loose in the dashboard , sliding out about an inch or so until I pushed it back in.
During that time, the tripometer did not reset (about 300 miles). Brought it back to the dealer to reseat PCCM. They did not see anything that could cause the reset issue.
a day later the reset returned.
considering this sequence of events, it doesn’t seem like a software update is needed. Doesn’t it seem more electrical ? Crossed wire or perhaps a wire that is affecting something controlling the tripometer ?
Old 09-03-2021, 07:37 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by Markbenw
I started having the problem when PCCM+ was installed in my 996 cabrio. However, PCCM recently was loose in the dashboard , sliding out about an inch or so until I pushed it back in.
During that time, the tripometer did not reset (about 300 miles). Brought it back to the dealer to reseat PCCM. They did not see anything that could cause the reset issue.
a day later the reset returned.
considering this sequence of events, it doesn’t seem like a software update is needed. Doesn’t it seem more electrical ? Crossed wire or perhaps a wire that is affecting something controlling the tripometer ?
There is definitely a software bug and fix for this issue. Since I installed my PCCM Plus myself, my local dealer won’t give me the new file to fix this problem.

Tell your service department to install the fix for you. Better yet, see if they will give you the file and share with us. It’s very easy to install.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:30 AM
06awd
3rd Gear

I have this issue, too. Curious how you know about the bug? Did your dealer tell you?
Old 09-23-2021, 11:39 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by 06awd
I have this issue, too. Curious how you know about the bug? Did your dealer tell you?
Guys over in Europe originally discovered the issue and their dealer worked with the Porsche Center in the UK to implement the fix. The dealers refuse to give their customers the fix, unless they pay for the service which they are charging 2 hours for a 5 minute effort.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=144822&start=80

This is tantamount to Apple making you bring your iPhone into the Apple store for an IOS upgrade and charging you.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:41 AM
06awd
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Guys over in Europe originally discovered the issue and their dealer worked with the Porsche Center in the UK to implement the fix. The dealers refuse to give their customers the fix, unless they pay for the service which they are charging 2 hours for a 5 minute effort.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=144822&start=80

This is tantamount to Apple making you bring your iPhone into the Apple store for an IOS upgrade and charging you.
So, I assume no one is aware of a downloadable file somewhere online that a customer can grab and install. I can't even find official info on Porsche's site about the matter.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:42 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by 06awd
So, I assume no one is aware of a downloadable file somewhere online that a customer can grab and install. I can't even find official info on Porsche's site about the matter.
I have been searching and I haven’t found a download. I was hoping my friends in the UK would be successful getting the download, but they haven’t. There is a navigation fix posted on 911UK, but that is for a different problem. I will wait until next year, then get a new unit under warranty, if the fix is still unavailable.

Quick Reply: Spontaneous Trip Odometer Reset