Sponsored by:

krp220's 996tt

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 PM
krp220
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default krp220's 996tt

although i've started a few other threads so far, i wanted to start a formal intro thread, and more importantly a "master" thread where i could ask some questions and get feedback on my modifications. I've spent hours and hours combing through RL for questions I have, but I've found that some things have changed over the years so up to date feedback would be great.

i picked the car up as a birthday present, "screw it" purchase in September of last year. it was through a dealer unfortunately, but it was close to me and i had lost out on several others. it came with the following modifications:
-unknown exhaust
-GIAC tune
-B&M SSK
-Bilstein/H&R suspension
i have since added:
-Speedtech 3" x-pipe with 100 cell cats
-EVOMS diverter valves
-Torque Solutions semi solid motor mounts
-997 shifter with FF Shift Right Solution kit
-Precision Porsche GT2 bumper
-various, minor aesthetic things and basic maintenance items

on to my gripes, and items i'd love some feedback on

i need another inch between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel (my left leg hits the wheel unless i make an effort to lean it to the left)
what is the best solution for this? is the clutch pedal adjustable? spend the money on a smaller, flat-bottom wheel? i'm as low as i can go on the seat

-shifting sucks
the SRS kit is great for eliminating lateral slop, but the fore and aft slop is pretty bad and the throw is just a little too long. anyone else that has the 997 shifter, is yours angled to the right about 15 degrees? mine does not stand straight up. cables have been adjusted several times with the green tool
cables: can the OEM shift cables wear out? whats the consensus on Numberic's cables? are Cup cables better? i'm concerned about the NVH...
shifter: is the GT3 shifter going to reduce my throw at all? is the Numeric shifter worth it? i've read there have some been some failures.
i'm looking for more confident, smoother shifting

-clutch feel also sucks
odd/random engagement point. "fuzzy" feel overall and the gas really needs to be feathered quite a bit (to the point it look like i'm trying to be obnoxious)
should i start with replacing the stock slave/accumulator? i've read mixed reviews on the GT2 conversion. the clutch does not slip but i have a very odd droning/oscillating noise that goes away when the clutch is not engaged, and i have noticed a very quick/faint grind a hard 2-3 shift. it doesn't happen all the time and still trying to determine if it's user error

i don't plan on tracking the car on a regular basis, i have interest in doing a track day here and there. the car is weekend toy for the most part

i've chatted with a few of the "OG" members here on the side and i have some ideas for each of these items, but i also don;t want to pester those individuals too much so i wanted to open things up for further discussion. sorry for the book, and i look forward to contributing to this forum in the future. despite my current gripes, i have a feeling i'll keep the car for a very long time.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:21 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 834 Posts

I have the ShiftRight in my car and it made a world of difference. My guess is something else is amiss with your car. The shifter cables can wear out, but it's not super common. I would start by ordering new cable ends for the shifter, those do wear out and they aren't very expensive. Also, get under the car and make sure your cables are firmly attached to the transmission (and put some safety wire on them while you're in there).

Another thing you might want to replace is the transmission mount. That is another item I recently replaced and it made a big difference.

I just replaced my master cylinder and it completely changed the drivability of my car. I had the exact same symptoms you were mentioning and now it feels like it should and the release point is in the same place every time.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:45 PM
krp220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
I have the ShiftRight in my car and it made a world of difference. My guess is something else is amiss with your car. The shifter cables can wear out, but it's not super common. I would start by ordering new cable ends for the shifter, those do wear out and they aren't very expensive. Also, get under the car and make sure your cables are firmly attached to the transmission (and put some safety wire on them while you're in there).

Another thing you might want to replace is the transmission mount. That is another item I recently replaced and it made a big difference.

I just replaced my master cylinder and it completely changed the drivability of my car. I had the exact same symptoms you were mentioning and now it feels like it should and the release point is in the same place every time.
thanks for your reply. I'll def check out the cable ends. my shop did indeed check the cables under the car and they seemed fine. can you elaborate on the safety wire?
transmission mount has been replaced/updated to the 997 mount
glad to hear about the master cylinder - that has been on my list to further investigate
Old 05-10-2021, 01:05 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Numeric is the best shifter but the cable system may never live up to what you are looking for. You can extend the wheel out a bit with a wheel spacer. GT2 clutch system is heavy but fixes the clutch feel problem.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:20 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,515 Likes on 834 Posts

The cables are known to not always want to stay in place on the transmission. It's a good idea to use some stainless safety wire or zip ties to make sure they don't wiggle out of their brackets.

(This is a Carrera transmission, but it's fairly similar looking)
The following users liked this post:
krp220 (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 01:24 PM
krp220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
Numeric is the best shifter but the cable system may never live up to what you are looking for. You can extend the wheel out a bit with a wheel spacer. GT2 clutch system is heavy but fixes the clutch feel problem.
thanks for the reply. the shifter is very tempting. are they reliable? i've read that there have been some bushing failures but curious how rare that is
could you point me in the direction of a wheel spacer? most of what i have seen is 2", which is more than i really need, but more importantly, it makes the turn signal, etc stalks harder to reach
Old 05-10-2021, 01:36 PM
02996tt
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

This is Todd, I can't find your number but I ordered a Numeric shifter a few weeks ago. Still waiting for it, but when it comes in you can try mine.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:45 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

I don't know. I have the GT2 clutch but I just leave my thigh touching the steering wheel while I make long throw shifts with my stock shifter.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:05 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by krp220
thanks for the reply. the shifter is very tempting. are they reliable? i've read that there have been some bushing failures but curious how rare that is
could you point me in the direction of a wheel spacer? most of what i have seen is 2", which is more than i really need, but more importantly, it makes the turn signal, etc stalks harder to reach
Previous shifters had bearing failures, they've since been re-designed. That said, I have one of the original Numerics w/ no issues. The Numeric + cables is nice, but it's true it will always feel like a cable operated trans.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:20 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

According to your build sheet, you have two shifters installed.

I have the B/M unit, and like it, along with Numeric cables, FF01 bushings. I have added 964RS motor mounts but have not driven it yet.

The Numeric cables feel a great deal more precise than the stockers, but we shall see...
Old 05-10-2021, 02:21 PM
krp220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 02996tt
This is Todd, I can't find your number but I ordered a Numeric shifter a few weeks ago. Still waiting for it, but when it comes in you can try mine.
hey! i should be able to find your number and will text you. i've been meaning to ask how your track day went but would love to check out the shifter when it's installed
Old 05-10-2021, 02:26 PM
krp220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
According to your build sheet, you have two shifters installed.

I have the B/M unit, and like it, along with Numeric cables, FF01 bushings. I have added 964RS motor mounts but have not driven it yet.

The Numeric cables feel a great deal more precise than the stockers, but we shall see...
and two exhausts! i should have clarified that those items were replaced
do you notice an appreciable amount of NVH with the cables? curious of the extra insulation Numeric offers quells any NVH concerns
Old 05-10-2021, 02:28 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

I'm pretty hard of hearing, so the ti exhaust and fat tyres pretty much drown out all the other noises.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Shifting has a lot to do with mounts. Get a 997 trans mount, and some stiffer engine mounts (either 964 RS, or some of the many semi-solid aftermarket ones). I run a 997 GT3 shifter with the function first "shift-right" solution, and it's pretty good. 1000* better than stock.

I had the same fuzzy feeling (for lack of a better term) on my clutch pedal. Ended up doing the GT2 slave conversion with OEM GT2 parts. I love it, but it's heavy. I wouldn't do it if this was my DD. BBI makes a good kit, if you don't want to be drilling holes into your transmission.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:09 PM
krp220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Shifting has a lot to do with mounts. Get a 997 trans mount, and some stiffer engine mounts (either 964 RS, or some of the many semi-solid aftermarket ones). I run a 997 GT3 shifter with the function first "shift-right" solution, and it's pretty good. 1000* better than stock.

I had the same fuzzy feeling (for lack of a better term) on my clutch pedal. Ended up doing the GT2 slave conversion with OEM GT2 parts. I love it, but it's heavy. I wouldn't do it if this was my DD. BBI makes a good kit, if you don't want to be drilling holes into your transmission.
thanks for the reply. I have both the 997 transmission mount and upgraded motor mounts.

I’m curious how heavy “heavy” is in regards to the GT2 slave conversion. I’ve got thick legs and a “I work out a lot but also drink beers” type of physique at 5’11” 205lbs so I’m curious if “heavy” means difficult or just too obnoxious for normal driving. My car is not a DD but there will definitely be times when I drive it a few days a week to work.

Quick Reply: krp220's 996tt