Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWE Tuning's New 996TT Exhaust (Brief Review)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004 | 12:11 AM
Vinnie
Instructor

Thumbs up AWE Tuning's New 996TT Exhaust (Brief Review)

Hey all,

Just got back from a half day trip to AWE tuning for their new 996TT Exhaust (BTW: Todd, Mike, Seth, Brian and the rest of the crew, YOU GUYS ARE GREAT and a pleasure to spend money with) :-).

Sound is awesome in my opinion...nice rumble and not obnoxious in anyway...can't wait till it "breaks-in" completely for the real sound to come out. I hear a loud version is in the works for those who like a little more "noise".

Weight appears to be MUCH lighter than stock but I never actually weighed both. Quality is top notch.

Performance: Here's where you guys are not going to believe it. (I used my last dyno in December as a baseline) I have a X-50 car with Upsolute chip ONLY; stock everything else. I dyno'ed 437.0 HP to all four wheels with 446.0 TQ. After just installing the exhaust with absolutely no other modifications, I dyno'ed 496.X HP and 497.X TQ. I understand there will be slight difference given the temps, humidity, bar. pressure, but needless to say 60HP to the wheels is UNBELIEVABLE! The car is now a beast but a civilized one. Power appears to come on more smoothly (linear) and the music out of those pipes are sweet. I hope Todd can post the before and after dyno sheet as I don't have them, but this experience was eye opening.

I just thought I'd share my enthusiasm for a great product from a great company...thanks for bearing with me!

Disclaimer: No affiliation, unfortunately I had to pay for all my stuff, etc. etc. etc...just a happy customer.
Old 04-03-2004 | 02:27 PM
rmrmd1956
Rennlist Member

496.x HP at the rear wheels or all four wheels?
Old 04-03-2004 | 03:22 PM
Vinnie
Instructor

all four wheels! Don't know correction factors though and I will need AWE to step in and answer those issues...I was assuming they were consistent from test to test.
Old 04-03-2004 | 06:44 PM
Fanman
Instructor

All I can say is WOW !!! Congratulations.
Old 04-04-2004 | 01:52 PM
jlee
Instructor

What is the price and the availability of this new exhaust? I am interested!
Old 04-07-2004 | 10:39 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally posted by jlee
What is the price and the availability of this new exhaust? I am interested!

Jlee-

The AWE/Mcneil Competition exhaust system retails for $3695. This is an all stainless steel system that is completely modular and uses a 300 cell catalyst.

Please click the link below for more information.

AWE/Mcneil Competition Exhaust for 996TT and GT2

Old 04-12-2004 | 12:40 AM
fangtl
AutoX

Wow, Great numbers!! Mike, in addition to the increased power output, is there a significant weight saving by upgrading to this exhaust?
Old 04-19-2004 | 06:13 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Originally posted by fangtl
Wow, Great numbers!! Mike, in addition to the increased power output, is there a significant weight saving by upgrading to this exhaust?

Sorry for the late reply. We had to weigh everything.

Weights:

OEM, no tips: 54 lbs

AWE/McNeil, no tips: 33.60 lbs

Savings: 20.40 lbs

Tips, ea: 1.3 lbs
Old 04-26-2004 | 11:27 PM
gney996
Instructor

vinnie;
impressive,any resonance thru the rpm range?
Old 04-27-2004 | 12:37 AM
steve c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Am I the only one who finds it amazing that I can get a full length exhaust for my LS1 Camaro for 600 bucks -- yet for some reason I have to pay 5 times that for an exhaust that fits my TT?

I'm tempted to spend a few hours and give away the templates for free. You can't tell me there is more than 500 dollars worth of material in any of these 3,000 dollar plus exhausts.
Old 04-27-2004 | 02:06 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by steve c
Am I the only one who finds it amazing that I can get a full length exhaust for my LS1 Camaro for 600 bucks -- yet for some reason I have to pay 5 times that for an exhaust that fits my TT?

I'm tempted to spend a few hours and give away the templates for free. You can't tell me there is more than 500 dollars worth of material in any of these 3,000 dollar plus exhausts.
How many LS1 Camaro's were produced? How many of them are now running a performance exhaust?

It's all in the R&D...

There are less 996TT's running around so less performance exhausts are sold, so you pay a larger chunk of the R&D cost.

Also Porsche owners often get charged way more than Chevy owners...supply and demand...
Old 04-28-2004 | 05:41 PM
skaria
Advanced

I think the requirement of catalytic converters ups the price (cats are very expensive). But even still, the majority of the price differential comes from supply/demand.
Old 05-04-2004 | 01:41 AM
SlvrBulletS4
5th Gear

Originally posted by steve c

On a HP/$ ratio you are paying about the same. the AWE/McNeil makes 60+hp for approx $3600 and your $600 camaro system makes about 10 hp. I am a friend of AWE/McNeil and i saw this project from its birth to the final end result I can gaurantee the parts and materials + the man hours involved to make a single system way overshoot your estimate. each system is hand formed, hand ported and completely custom with an incredible amount of R&D time to perfect the final product, not only for perfrmance but also for sound quality. the science and fabrication behind this exhaust are world class, the performance speaks of this... I have seen other "high priced" systems inside and out(yes that means cut apart for inspection) and let me tell you some may look pretty and well designed on outward appearance but where the "Magic" really happens you'll find slag,flow restrictions and all kinds of mess. AWE/Mcneil are perfectionists the inside flow areas are as clean as what you see on the outside. Basically the bottom line is you get what you pay for and this system performs.

Last edited by SlvrBulletS4; 05-04-2004 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2004 | 08:30 PM
mwilsontvr
Intermediate

Not sure if anyone is still reading this, but is this exhaust system any louder than stock?

Some of us are addicted to the 996 turbo as a luxury car, and want more power but no more noise.

Michael Wilson
Old 05-13-2004 | 11:01 AM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Michael

We shot a video of the system and we took a slightly different approach.

Enjoy.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/mult...tt_exhaust.wmv

Quick Reply: AWE Tuning's New 996TT Exhaust (Brief Review)