Sponsored by:

DSC Sport for the 996tt....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 09:51 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,538 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
The DSC Tractive package for 996TT/GT2 is not as popular as the DSC plug & play controllers for newer cars equipped with PASM, but the technology is the same. Since the 996TT/GT2 didn't come from the factory with the wiring harness for electronic dampers(like the PASM cars have) the DSC Stand Alone Kit is required as the electronic management to command the electronic coilovers. We have installed this package on 800+hp builds and on competition cars with CAN-integration. Here is one example.

I completely understand that some may feel indifferent about electronically controlled active suspension, and prefer manually adjusted coilovers. For those who have experienced the DSC plug&play controller in their 997 or 991 cars will understand what a game changer this system is. In my opinion, totally worth doing on specially-built 996TT. Basically the DSC Tractive package is injecting 20 years of electronic suspension technology into a vehicle platform that was produced in year 2000. This technology merges performance and comfort with little to no compromise.
@Tom@TPC Racing , bumping this thread.....

Just helped a friend buy his first Porsche, a new-to-him 996 Turbo. It has the DSC Sport stand-alone controller and Tractive shocks installed by a previous owner. It was sold through a dealer, so some of the detail were lost in translation. i'm very familiar with 996 Turbos in general, and also run your DSC sport controller on my 991 Turbo S so familiar with that system as well.

A few questions:
  • Haven't started digging around yet, but on the 996, any idea where the controller is likely mounted? Under the rear parcel shelf? In the frunk somewhere?
  • Same question for the three-way controller... I realize that could likely be mounted anywhere, but anyplace in particular maybe you have in your install instructions? Are the settings basically soft, medium, firm?
  • Once I find the controller and plug-in, is there a map you recommend?
  • Since there are fewer inputs into the system, I imagine the tables for modifying the maps are a bit simpler than say 991 Turbo?

Thanks in advance!

It's the black car in the picture below, silver one is mine.

Last edited by pfbz; 04-08-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:06 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Funny you brought this up, the DSC died in the 991 again and I'm going to swap it out tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:24 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Funny you brought this up, the DSC died in the 991 again and I'm going to swap it out tomorrow.
Bummer! Mine has been flawless. What is the failure mode?
Old 04-08-2023, 10:33 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pretty much everything but pulling power...

Second time it's happened in less than a year.

Old 04-09-2023, 12:07 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Pretty much everything but pulling power...

Old 04-09-2023, 12:24 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yep, exactly.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:57 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 983 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz

A few questions:
  • Haven't started digging around yet, but on the 996, any idea where the controller is likely mounted? Under the rear parcel shelf? In the frunk somewhere?
  • Same question for the three-way controller... I realize that could likely be mounted anywhere, but anyplace in particular maybe you have in your install instructions? Are the settings basically soft, medium, firm?
  • Once I find the controller and plug-in, is there a map you recommend?
  • Since there are fewer inputs into the system, I imagine the tables for modifying the maps are a bit simpler than say 991 Turbo?
Since the DSC SA(StandAlone) controller kit for pre-PASM cars is a customized installation using a universal wiring harness there's no set location to put the controller. Depending on who installed it the installer will have there prefered location. I would guess that its near the ECU area.
DSC SA had been available for 10+ years with different mode versions over time starting with 1-mode(no button), then 2-mode and 3-mode(has button with LED to indicate modes).
Use the maps that's been in it. At minimum please save the original map. If its very old it was created on older version of the software which isn't the same version as today's.
996 CAN is far simpler than 991. Its G-force and vehicle speed only. You can adjust the Shock Cal table if you wish to change the range.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 04-10-2023 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pfbz (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 01:41 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom@TPC Racing
Since the DSC SA(StandAlone) controller kit for pre-PASM cars is a customized installation using a universal wiring harness there's no set location to put the controller. Depending on who installed it the installer will have there prefered location. I would guess that its near the ECU area.
DSC SA had been available for 10+ years with different mode versions over time starting with 1-mode(no button), then 2-mode and 3-mode(has button with LED to indicate modes).
Use the maps that's been in it. At minimum please save the original map. If its very old it was created on older version of the software which isn't the same version as today's.
996 CAN is far simpler than 991. Its G-force and vehicle speed only. You can adjust the Shock Cal table if you wish to change the range.
Thanks Tom for the follow up!

We found the button, it appears to be the three mode (single button and led). Huge improvement!

It seems to default back to map 0 on ignition cycle, I assume there is no way to change what map is loaded by default? The current default map is definitely too soft for the new owners preference.

Last edited by pfbz; 04-10-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 01:50 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 983 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Thanks Tom for the follow up!

We found the button, it appears to be the three mode (single button and led). Huge improvement!

It seems to default back to map 0 on ignition cycle, I assume there is no way to change what map is loaded by default? The current default map is definitely too soft for the new owners preference.
No way to change the mode switching, besides buying a new SA kit.
Its possible that this kit was made before the G Comfort Parameter feature was introduced, so it'll be wise to save the file, and only make changes to Shock Calibration table.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport for the 996tt....