Sponsored by:

Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by pancing
Bought injectors along with spark plugs for preventative maintenance ended up returning injectors for a restocking fee.

Dunno how you would do the passenger side without taking the engine out.
Oh boy, I can answer that. With lots of hours, booze, and curse words. I pulled mine out for cleaning with the engine in the car. Its a pain but it can be done. Once you yank out the SAI pump and move the oil filler tube you gain a bit of room. You can get to the last injector from underneath as well. The hardest part is ensuring the clips stay in place.

All in all it took me about 8 hours of labor across 2-3 nights to do both sides.

Originally I pulled them out to upgrade only to find out my car already had upgraded injectors. So I sent the injectors off to be cleaned and balanced.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:05 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

This is the cool sheet that the place that cleaned and balanced the injectors provided. The car had ~60,000 miles on it when I sent the injectors off to be cleaned. Keep in mind the injectors weren't stock so they would have had even fewer miles. Just goes to show that they do build of grime which reduces spray/flow over time.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:32 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,191 Likes on 3,170 Posts

Bought injectors along with spark plugs for preventative maintenance ended up returning injectors for a restocking fee.

After I saw the state of the fuel filter, I planned to do them when the engine was out for clutch/slave/pinning, and NOW, I am cognizant that the fuel filter should be changed more often than every 15 years...
Old 11-22-2019, 01:34 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nbressette
This is the cool sheet that the place that cleaned and balanced the injectors provided. The car had ~60,000 miles on it when I sent the injectors off to be cleaned. Keep in mind the injectors weren't stock so they would have had even fewer miles. Just goes to show that they do build of grime which reduces spray/flow over time.

I like the guys at RC; I use a set of their 310s - sent them back a couple of times for cleaning/balancing. Admittedly, they are pretty easy to pull from a Honda...
The following users liked this post:
blazen244 (01-23-2021)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:22 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I like the guys at RC; I use a set of their 310s - sent them back a couple of times for cleaning/balancing. Admittedly, they are pretty easy to pull from a Honda...
I was impressed with them, the person I dealt with was very friendly and provided regular updates on progress. I think they had them back to me in a couple days. I wouldn't hesitate to send a set to them as part of routine maintenance on a car assuming the injectors were easy to get to. I typically buy used cars, something like this seems like a good way to establish a good maintenance baseline.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,656 Posts

That was my point.

2fcknfst typing out,"Factory units are about $70 Canadian per; just replace them and save yourself the hassle - the car is getting on for fifteen plus years old...." Is simple to do, actually replacing the injectors? Not so simple to do.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:52 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That was my point.

2fcknfst typing out,"Factory units are about $70 Canadian per; just replace them and save yourself the hassle - the car is getting on for fifteen plus years old...." Is simple to do, actually replacing the injectors? Not so simple to do.
Counterpoint - unless he plans on tossing on a set of winter tires, the car is going to be out of commission for the next 4-5 months. Why not use this time to peck away at getting her back to top running condition? If you can swap plugs on this car you can do injectors. it's not technically challenging, its just requires patience and the helping hand of the wife and/or toddler.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:56 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I was impressed with them, the person I dealt with was very friendly and provided regular updates on progress. I think they had them back to me in a couple days. I wouldn't hesitate to send a set to them as part of routine maintenance on a car assuming the injectors were easy to get to. I typically buy used cars, something like this seems like a good way to establish a good maintenance baseline.
It is, especially for used cars with an unknown history. I have known my 996 since the day it was delivered in 2003, so I had the advantage in knowing the car was not abused before it came to me... unless of course you don't think changing the fuel filter, once, in 15 years is abuse... I soaked the injectors I swapped out in a vibro-cleaner for a couple of days and when I took them out, there was some fine particulate sitting in the tub - I suppose that the next step would be to send them to RC and have them flowed, but I was pretty surprised when I found out how inexpensive they were, so, maybe not...
Old 11-22-2019, 02:58 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Counterpoint - unless he plans on tossing on a set of winter tires, the car is going to be out of commission for the next 4-5 months. Why not use this time to peck away at getting her back to top running condition? If you can swap plugs on this car you can do injectors. it's not technically challenging, its just requires patience and the helping hand of the wife and/or toddler.
Ahhh, the real reason car guys want kids is finally revealed...

Won't be putting on snows, but will continue to drive it over the winter - the one (or two days) it snows in Van, I'll drive something else.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:00 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

The siemens 60lb is a nice upgrade and dirt cheap. I would highly recommend anyone running even a mild tune consider moving to the 60lb if they're going to pull injectors. They're not some massive injector that will cause idle issues, but they are a nice jump in capacity to bring your duty cycle down.

This listing is Sam's, I'm sure you could squeeze a black friday deal out of him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996...EAAOxyZw5RbhlY
Old 11-22-2019, 03:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, $100 per is not a bad price for an uprated injector. Now, if only direct injection diesel injectors were that cheap...
Old 11-22-2019, 03:33 PM
blazen244
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks guys will run the cleaner through first and see what happens just looking at the coils they look to be recently replaced and the studder isnt bad at all I've had worse from my E65. That was in need of 0lugs and coils and still ran the cleaner she's running like new.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:46 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

The siemens 60lb is a nice upgrade and dirt cheap. I would highly recommend anyone running even a mild tune consider moving to the 60lb if they're going to pull injectors. They're not some massive injector that will cause idle issues, but they are a nice jump in capacity to bring your duty cycle down.

This listing is Sam's, I'm sure you could squeeze a black friday deal out of him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996...EAAOxyZw5RbhlY

Ive got a whole lot of updating on the car before i think of doing injectors again.
Whats a the duty cycle of stock injectors?
i calculated mine at around 70 to 72% at 6600 rpm for 3 logs in 4th gear.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When a car is hesitating as his is most techs would consider replacing the injectors as the last step in correcting the issue. There are many other far easier solutions to try first.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:05 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blazen244
Thanks guys will run the cleaner through first and see what happens just looking at the coils they look to be recently replaced and the studder isnt bad at all I've had worse from my E65. That was in need of 0lugs and coils and still ran the cleaner she's running like new.
Yes, you are doing it in the proper sequence.

Fuel system cleaner
Fuel filter
Plugs
Coils
Injector connections
Injectors

Quick Reply: Injectors