Another Turbo owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:17 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Another Turbo owner

Hi all

I just purchased a 2001 996 Turbo with 28k miles on it, hopefully it will arrive this weekend as its being shipped from Dallas. Seems to be mostly stock but they are asking the previous owner what was done to it because after i purchased it i realized it looks to have an aftermarket exhaust & air filter which is good for me Curious if it has a tune or not because that would be an added bonus so i dont have to buy one lol

I will be selling my 996 C2 now which i have mixed feelings about because i love that thing

next mods will be the 997GT2 IC's ,coilovers / rims because it looks like a 4x4 lol + moving a bunch of things from my C2 to this one, custom steering wheel, racing seats, seatbelts, rollbar etc

oh and doing the wonderful coolant expansion tank before that darn thing breaks like it did on my C2, at least it looks easier on this engine

I may get to drive a few miles before it goes in storage
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23 PM
FranKRyzzO
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this the one on BaT that sold last Wednesday? If so, I was the one you were bidding against. Either way, welcome!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FranKRyzzO
Was this the one on BaT that sold last Wednesday? If so, I was the one you were bidding against. Either way, welcome!
yes, damn you cost me some extra money LOL
Old 11-12-2019, 12:39 PM
FranKRyzzO
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about that. I really wanted it too :P I ended up picking up the 02 X50 last Friday. If you don't mind me asking, who are you using as a transporter? The one I picked up is in Long Beach and I'm in Baltimore and looking for a reliable company.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:08 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FranKRyzzO
Sorry about that. I really wanted it too :P I ended up picking up the 02 X50 last Friday. If you don't mind me asking, who are you using as a transporter? The one I picked up is in Long Beach and I'm in Baltimore and looking for a reliable company.
i was looking at that one to, looks like you got a good price on it! if i had known i would have ran the price up a bit for you LOL

not sure of the transporter the seller arranged it
Old 11-12-2019, 01:26 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Drive it year round; it can take it...

And welcome!
Old 11-12-2019, 01:27 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 591 Posts

Buy good intercoolers and not plastic end tank junk.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:19 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
looks to have an aftermarket exhaust & air filter which is good for me Curious if it has a tune or not
Definitely an aftermarket exhaust, though can't really tell from the pictures what kind.

It looks like it's got an oiled filter panel, which many (including me) do NOT recommend. The stock airbox design and oem panel filter is excellent and can support far more horsepower than your car is likely producing. The oiled filters have a reputation of messing with the MAF sensors and causing all kinds of problems. Pull it out, throw it on a shelf (or trash), and install a $30 OEM Air Filter (99611013171).

As for tune, should be pretty easy to tell by checking what your boost is hitting on a sustained 3rd gear pull (assuming you have no boost leaks, which you should also check). Personally I'd rather have an un-tuned car than a tuned car with no info on what tune it is, when the tune was done, and have no ability to bring it back to stock without sending off the ECU.

If untuned, choose from some of the great tuners we are fortunate enough to have for the 996 and let them work their magic or simply start off with a Cobb tuner and there very decent off-the-shelf tunes.
The following users liked this post:
Michael-Dallas (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 07:47 AM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Definitely an aftermarket exhaust, though can't really tell from the pictures what kind.

It looks like it's got an oiled filter panel, which many (including me) do NOT recommend. The stock airbox design and oem panel filter is excellent and can support far more horsepower than your car is likely producing. The oiled filters have a reputation of messing with the MAF sensors and causing all kinds of problems. Pull it out, throw it on a shelf (or trash), and install a $30 OEM Air Filter (99611013171).

As for tune, should be pretty easy to tell by checking what your boost is hitting on a sustained 3rd gear pull (assuming you have no boost leaks, which you should also check). Personally I'd rather have an un-tuned car than a tuned car with no info on what tune it is, when the tune was done, and have no ability to bring it back to stock without sending off the ECU.

If untuned, choose from some of the great tuners we are fortunate enough to have for the 996 and let them work their magic or simply start off with a Cobb tuner and there very decent off-the-shelf tunes.
thanks for the tip about the boost pressure, i keep forgetting thats built into the car lol

i have asked them to check with the previous owner to find out what was done so lets see if they find out. If it has nothing then yeah i will most likely get the cobb

Last edited by tekkie; 11-13-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 AM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
Buy good intercoolers and not plastic end tank junk.
why do you say that? if its good enough for the GT2 it surely should be good enough for modest modding shouldn't it?
Old 11-13-2019, 12:38 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

is this the one? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-73/ the airbox is stock as are those tips. Can't tell about the exhaust. I have the same amp in the same location.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:22 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipman
is this the one? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-911-turbo-73/ the airbox is stock as are those tips. Can't tell about the exhaust. I have the same amp in the same location.
thats it, the airbox is stock but the filter isnt by the look of it, agreed on the exhaust, looking up all the different ones my best guess is Milltek .... lets see its supposed to get her sunday or monday
Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 591 Posts

why do you say that? if its good enough for the GT2 it surely should be good enough for modest modding shouldn't it?
Because there's much better out there. Why anyone would want to keep the plastic end tanks is beyond me. Do it once. I'd use a nice 4.5" core regardless of any other plans.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s65e90
Because there's much better out there. Why anyone would want to keep the plastic end tanks is beyond me. Do it once. I'd use a nice 4.5" core regardless of any other plans.
for sure they will be better, but i cant imagine there is anything close to the 650 dollar mark for both is there? in the end you are right maybe i will pony up for the better ones
Old 11-13-2019, 07:53 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

for sure they will be better, but i cant imagine there is anything close to the 650 dollar mark for both is there?
No. As you suggest, the OEM 7.2 intercoolers are a great cost-effective upgrade. Easy to fit, far better than the oem intercoolers, and a relative bargain at $650/pr delivered.

Are there "better" intercoolers out there? Sure at 2X-6X the price.. Also bigger/better turbos. 4.0 engine build kits, etc.

But in terms of bang-for-buck, hard to beat the fatter, higher density finned 7.2 intercoolers on a lightly modified, non-drag-race car. And I think problems with the plastic end caps are relatively uncommon.

Quick Reply: Another Turbo owner