Sponsored by:

Waking her up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
Pinning the coolant lines can't hurt but that's an expensive engine out service and you'll be tempted to do another $10k of mods while you're at it.
Also, if you add the LSD you will NEED a transmission cooler and when you open up the box you'll probably find a few things in there that need to be refreshed as well. Not to mention you start to think of all the upgrade parts you might want to add while its opened up. Then there's a LWFW, new clutch & pressure plate, and other misc maintenance items that you'll need to do to the engine, it definitely adds up.

I thought about the long term costs and have considered a dedicated track car but I like the speed potential of this car too much. Keeping up with the latest GT cars is fun, especially in a "sleeper"
Old 11-06-2019, 02:13 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by pancing
Sticker shock scared me to the point of looking for a c5/6 z06 and working on that platform for track.
I have never owned one, but from what I understand vettes are a pretty bad choice for building a track car. They sure are tempting for the price range, but they have tons of overheating issues.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:26 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Also, if you add the LSD you will NEED a transmission cooler and when you open up the box you'll probably find a few things in there that need to be refreshed as well. Not to mention you start to think of all the upgrade parts you might want to add while its opened up. Then there's a LWFW, new clutch & pressure plate, and other misc maintenance items that you'll need to do to the engine, it definitely adds up.

I thought about the long term costs and have considered a dedicated track car but I like the speed potential of this car too much. Keeping up with the latest GT cars is fun, especially in a "sleeper"
you are right Mike, that’s my last thing planned and I do not want to go rwd without an Lsd and do not want to mess with the trans until it’s time to do the clutch. I know that the while you are in there approach when the trans is open is going to be pricey...
Old 11-06-2019, 02:28 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

I am more and more thinking about trimming the list

- Ohlins
- GT3 LCA
- short shift
- tune
- pin / weld lines
- 997 coils/plugs
- gt2 Rs intercooler
- aftermarket sway bars

not even sure about LCAs as I dont plan to go too crazy.

i have already bought the ICs though. I think it’s a mod that improves engine health, especially here in Texas
Old 11-06-2019, 02:53 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TrillyPop
I have never owned one, but from what I understand vettes are a pretty bad choice for building a track car. They sure are tempting for the price range, but they have tons of overheating issues.
From what i know from all the guys that run them here is they keep the engine stock power and add extra cooling everywhere.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I am more and more thinking about trimming the list

- Ohlins
- GT3 LCA
- short shift
- tune
- pin / weld lines
- 997 coils/plugs
- gt2 Rs intercooler
- aftermarket sway bars

not even sure about LCAs as I dont plan to go too crazy.

i have already bought the ICs though. I think it’s a mod that improves engine health, especially here in Texas
If you are going to remove the engine to pin the lines, I would also take that opportunity to do the clutch and remove/update the clutch slave cylinder.

When I got my 996, I was aware of a few issues that had not been maintained over the years as the previous owner had simply driven it back and forth to his office every work day, for 15 years. By the time i had done all the maintenance 'items', including some of the things on your list, I am on the wrong side of $40k CDN, and I'm not done yet.

My next major project is to do the transmission, not just the 2nd gear detent, full GT2RS 1- 4, steel syncros etc. Preliminary budget for this to be done is somewhere around $27k USD+ ($35k CDN), bringing total investment into a street car north of $75k CDN.

Now I am doing this because I see the 996 as a 'forever' car and I am totally in love with it, and would never track it. Consider for a second the numbers - $75k into a car that will not see track duty; imagine the costs associated with building a track car, or look at what John (PowdrHound) has done with his - I suspect he is very deep into that car.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
My next major project is to do the transmission, not just the 2nd gear detent, full GT2RS 1- 4, steel syncros etc. Preliminary budget for this to be done is somewhere around $27k USD+ ($35k CDN), bringing total investment into a street car north of $75k CDN
It's your money, do what you want, BUT... that seems like a silly way to spend a lot of money for no reason for a low-mile car that will never see a track. Why not just put in an LSD and then drive it until it actually needs transmission work?
The following users liked this post:
HDA (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

My next major project is to do the transmission, not just the 2nd gear detent, full GT2RS 1- 4, steel syncros etc. Preliminary budget for this to be done is somewhere around $27k USD+ ($35k CDN), bringing total investment into a street car north of $75k CDN.

Now I am doing this because I see the 996 as a 'forever' car and I am totally in love with it, and would never track it.
I think it can be a "forever" car without doing those things.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:52 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
It's your money, do what you want, BUT... that seems like a silly way to spend a lot of money for no reason for a low-mile car that will never see a track. Why not just put in an LSD and then drive it until it actually needs transmission work?
I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my motors. I believe that all outstanding reliability issues, either formal, or those I have researched online must be addressed.

So imagine how the list grew - one of the original wheels were warped, new wheels bought, oh, perhaps I should get some titanium hardware for them too...

There was a squeak somewhere in the rear suspension; new sways, bushings and endlinks...

Hoses are 15 years old, right rad is weeping a little, all new hoses, rads etc.

Engine is out? Well, time for a new water pump, belts, pinning, voltage regulator, injectors, thermostat, etc., etc., etc....

None of the monies I have spent have been spent with the intent of building a track car, rather, it is the idea of knowing exactly what was done, and when. They guy I bought the car from, my boss/friend/mentor, literally just drove it - he never did anything else but the basic oil change once a year and tires over the 70k kms he had it. So, once I started looking at it closer, all these little things started adding - for example, once they had the gearbox out, and after going through one clutch slave cylinder failure, it seemed prudent to employ a more reliable fix. Then, it turned out (because he loved to drive around the city in 6th gear @ 30mph, completely disregarding the owners manual guide on shifting gears...) there was a little more damage inside the gear box than I thought, so new parts there.

My point is two fold; 1) I don't have children, and 2) I hate flying and anything to do with airplanes, so I will in fact DRIVE this thing. In a spirited manner, over long distances primarily for work. You may have noticed in some of my previous posts I have, on occasion, had some fairly spectacular failures. With this in mind, and considering how I use my cars, I have to maintain them at top level if they are going to be considered 'reliable', by my standards of course.

And as these things go, these are not the cheapest vehicles to maintain. It most certainly wasn't what I was expecting, but once committed, I just kept going.

The gearbox thing could be considered excessive; I have used the Gbox 2nd gear detent, however, it gnaws away in the back of my mind as something that could pop out of the woodwork at the worst possible time, so I save my nickles in a bag in order to have the best fix possible - and some new gears, which are sexy...

I suspect the reason folks come up to me, somewhat regularly, and want to buy whatever I may be driving that day, is because my OCD in how I take care of them. I find the whole experience of cars very calming and peaceful. Wouldn't change it for the world.

My house is paid for, I have no debt, my other half has a good job as is relatively self-sufficient, so what the hell - I might as well enjoy it while I can!
Old 11-06-2019, 06:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
I think it can be a "forever" car without doing those things.
I have two other 'forever' cars that have had considerably more resources thrown at them than this one. Most of the work, as noted above, is work that was never done - I mean, I love the guy I work for, but you couldn't change the fuel filter ONCE in fifteen years???

I cut it open and it was black and nasty; preventative maintenance is big with me, so I changed the injectors too because God only knows what made it through the filter...
Old 11-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

I have two other 'forever' cars that have had considerably more resources thrown at them than this one.
I was referring to the transmission work. The GT2RS gears certainly aren't required to make the car a "forever" car.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:18 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
I was referring to the transmission work. The GT2RS gears certainly aren't required to make the car a "forever" car.
Absolutely - I just want them.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 826 Posts

Absolutely - I just want them.
Fair.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

By the time i had done all the maintenance 'items', including some of the things on your list, I am on the wrong side of $40k CDN, and I'm not done yet..
yeeeeaaaah my budget is $10k lol
Old 11-06-2019, 11:26 PM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
yeeeeaaaah my budget is $10k lol
Are you doing the work yourself? Because if not, pinning/welding coolant lines, plugs/coils, coilovers/sways, intercoolers are going to put you at or above $10k at a shop. If you can spend $3-4k to pay a shop to pin your lines, ask them to do the plugs/coils while motor is out, and install everything else yourself, you'll be able to throw in a shifter and tune. Forget the LCA for now. Oh, and you still need tires and maybe wheels, and a good alignment/corner balance. Crap. Just forget about the money and do what feels good! Haha.
The following users liked this post:
HDA (11-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Waking her up