Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

The flow was entertaining.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:36 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You could tell I was just parked at a console, huh?
Old 11-09-2019, 06:38 AM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by nbressette
Don't put a dime of money into body work on a car you intend to take to the track at all unless you also do full ppf. I don't a 1/10000th of the track time a lot of other guys do but what I can tell you from my limited experience is that its hell on the car's paint/body. Cost of doing business.
Sheeeeiit it doesnt even have to be track time, interstates and highway is like driving through an auto car wash and sometimes a hailstorm.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:32 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Posting at the speed of light...
but why are we talking about your car?
Old 11-09-2019, 02:39 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 97 Posts

Given a quality coilover set up, how important would you say are aftermarket sway bars?
Old 11-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Given a quality coilover set up, how important would you say are aftermarket sway bars?
Honestly I would start with aftermarket adjustable sway bars first. You might be satisfied with the car balance and not need to progress to the Ohlins for a little bit as you get a feel for the car. That said the Ohlins are a super sweet setup.

I recommend the GMG bars. http://www.modbargains.com/gmg-racin...sche-996tt.htm
The following users liked this post:
HDA (11-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 05:54 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I think that’s where I am going to end up.
ive always been a gt3 guy but I stumbled across the TT that I bought and - man I love this car
I did just the same, bought a car w/PSS10's and H&R rear sway bar already on it.
Loved the car right away, got Kevin's tune and NT-01's and went to the track.
Car was equal pace to another 991s at that time w/equal driver.

Pads gone right away, installed RS29s, Motul RB660 (Endless or Brembo HTC waaay better and last all season), Front and rear LCAs, Dogbones, camber plates, more aggressive alignment, then ran it at the track for rest of the season. Car kept pace w/most everything at that time, other than Z06 and other big torque cars out of corners, but could often close gap under braking.

Somewhere in this thread someone said GT2 1/2/3 is not best bang for buck and not to open box until you need to. I strongly disagree with not opening the box until you need to.
I ran mine well into bearing noise and paid dearly for it. You'll end up replacing internals that could survive longer if bearings are loose and parts are moving around out of spec while under severe load.
The GT cars run a cooler for a good reason and the true state of most gearboxes is unknown until you open them.
To track these cars the preventative bearings/synchros/labor cost is a good idea, especially if you can R&R yourself.
Price out 3-5 gears, synchros ,and all the bearings then compare that to buying maybe half those parts if you went in earlier.

I agree the GT2 mod is not the best bang for $ but would put it 3rd after tune and exhaust. 4th is LSD if you leave the brakes for 5th or 6th place and are not counting short shifter/cheap stuff.
Ditching some weight is free.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:00 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I did just the same, bought a car w/PSS10's and H&R rear sway bar already on it.
Loved the car right away, got Kevin's tune and NT-01's and went to the track.
Car was equal pace to another 991s at that time w/equal driver.

Pads gone right away, installed RS29s, Motul RB660 (Endless or Brembo HTC waaay better and last all season), Front and rear LCAs, Dogbones, camber plates, more aggressive alignment, then ran it at the track for rest of the season. Car kept pace w/most everything at that time, other than Z06 and other big torque cars out of corners, but could often close gap under braking.

Somewhere in this thread someone said GT2 1/2/3 is not best bang for buck and not to open box until you need to. I strongly disagree with not opening the box until you need to.
I ran mine well into bearing noise and paid dearly for it. You'll end up replacing internals that could survive longer if bearings are loose and parts are moving around out of spec while under severe load.
The GT cars run a cooler for a good reason and the true state of most gearboxes is unknown until you open them.
To track these cars the preventative bearings/synchros/labor cost is a good idea, especially if you can R&R yourself.
Price out 3-5 gears, synchros ,and all the bearings then compare that to buying maybe half those parts if you went in earlier.

I agree the GT2 mod is not the best bang for $ but would put it 3rd after tune and exhaust. 4th is LSD if you leave the brakes for 5th or 6th place and are not counting short shifter/cheap stuff.
Ditching some weight is free.
Yeah that was me on the box comments.

Bearing noise, ie, shafts slapping around within the bearings, or bearing failure?

Both sound unpleasant and expensive. Was this a function of the second gear pop out, or something else?

Cheers,
Old 11-09-2019, 06:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I strongly disagree with not opening the box until you need to.
How often do you recommend opening the box?
Old 11-09-2019, 09:24 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Yeah that was me on the box comments.

Bearing noise, ie, shafts slapping around within the bearings, or bearing failure?

Both sound unpleasant and expensive. Was this a function of the second gear pop out, or something else?

Cheers,
Car never had any pop out issues for me but I bought it in March and had to rebuild trans in September.
Started w/bearing noise after a couple of track outings @ ~60k on the box.
Then I went to the track several more times, and one day driving home from the track noticed the noise was significantly louder, that was at 64k.
Drove the car on the street a couple weeks more and at 65k I dropped the box and engine.

In hindsight, I would have taken Kevin's advice and parked it soon as it started making noise.
However it was still dry pavement in Seattle and I never bothered to check what he meant by expensive parts, figured it was just a transmission.
Having had several BMWs and fancy muscle car autos built I figured maybe a few-5Gs at most, haha.

If I had pulled it sooner, I could have saved a couple gears, retaining plate, bearings and synchros.
It was a great excuse to do the GT2 mod, all steel synchros and LSD $18 later
Old 11-09-2019, 09:25 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
How often do you recommend opening the box?
every time she asks
Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

every time she asks
Isn't that a case of "you need to"?
Old 11-10-2019, 02:28 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Car never had any pop out issues for me but I bought it in March and had to rebuild trans in September.
Started w/bearing noise after a couple of track outings @ ~60k on the box.
Then I went to the track several more times, and one day driving home from the track noticed the noise was significantly louder, that was at 64k.
Drove the car on the street a couple weeks more and at 65k I dropped the box and engine.

In hindsight, I would have taken Kevin's advice and parked it soon as it started making noise.
However it was still dry pavement in Seattle and I never bothered to check what he meant by expensive parts, figured it was just a transmission.
Having had several BMWs and fancy muscle car autos built I figured maybe a few-5Gs at most, haha.

If I had pulled it sooner, I could have saved a couple gears, retaining plate, bearings and synchros.
It was a great excuse to do the GT2 mod, all steel synchros and LSD $18 later
I like the $18k number more than the $27k number, about $9k more liking...

Were you able to save the case?
Old 11-11-2019, 12:36 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

I like the $18k number more than the $27k number, about $9k more liking...

Were you able to save the case?
The case, 5th gear, forks and R&P were fine, rest was not.
Could have spent less w/o GT2 mod, used brass synchros, skipped LSD & cooler.
Still would have been spendy.

If I bought another one with 50k+ miles and intended on keeping it, I'd have it gone through by someone who would replace what's worn, do the GT2 gearset, tap for a cooler, and leave the rest.
Then you're set for a long time.

Quick Reply: Waking her up