Sponsored by:

Another P0102 MAF mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Menriksson
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another P0102 MAF mystery

So I was accelerating in second gear and the car stuttered for a second and the ABS/PSM light illuminated. Car still ran fine but i did noticed a bit of hesitation under very low load. Scanned for codes and the ECU threw the good old p0102 code. I ordered a new one from ebay, though not entirely new but the seller claimed it was working. Received it today and i switched the old one for the one I just bought and erased the fault codes. All good, the ABS/PSM was working again, car was idling fine and was running very smooth under low load. However, when hitting the throttle and as the boost started to build the car ran terrible, stuttering a lot. I checked the ECU for codes again but none was registered.

My question is.. If the new MAF was faulty, shouldn't I get a code for this? Any thoughts?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:36 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Menriksson
So I was accelerating in second gear and the car stuttered for a second and the ABS/PSM light illuminated. Car still ran fine but i did noticed a bit of hesitation under very low load. Scanned for codes and the ECU threw the good old p0102 code. I ordered a new one from ebay, though not entirely new but the seller claimed it was working. Received it today and i switched the old one for the one I just bought and erased the fault codes. All good, the ABS/PSM was working again, car was idling fine and was running very smooth under low load. However, when hitting the throttle and as the boost started to build the car ran terrible, stuttering a lot. I checked the ECU for codes again but none was registered.

My question is.. If the new MAF was faulty, shouldn't I get a code for this? Any thoughts?

Turn off your ac and see if a cel appears
If you get one take your airbox off and check and see if the honeycomb air straightener has become dislodged. Or you can shake your airbox and see id its rattling around. I had your exact same problem
Went through 4 different mafs to realize the honeycomb was dislodged.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Menriksson
6th Gear

Originally Posted by pancing
Turn off your ac and see if a cel appears
If you get one take your airbox off and check and see if the honeycomb air straightener has become dislodged. Or you can shake your airbox and see id its rattling around. I had your exact same problem
Went through 4 different mafs to realize the honeycomb was dislodged.
Thank you, I will try tomorrow. However, it does seem quite related to the MAF since the car runs VERY differently depending on which one of the two MAF sensors I mounted.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:49 PM
pancing
Drifting

Thank you, I will try tomorrow. However, it does seem quite related to the MAF since the car runs VERY differently depending on which one of the two MAF sensors I mounted.
The air straightener is directly related to the maf.
The boxter maf needs a different update to work correctly in our cars. The 996tt works correctly.

Did you order a bosch maf or an aftermarket?

Try and see if its the air straightener then check the part number on your maf.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:52 PM
Menriksson
6th Gear

The air straightener is directly related to the maf.
The boxter maf needs a different update to work correctly in our cars. The 996tt works correctly.

Did you order a bosch maf or an aftermarket?

Try and see if its the air straightener then check the part number on your maf.
The part number is identical to the old MAF. The new one is a used MAF so not sure if its OEM or aftermarket, the bosch number is correct thought.

When running the old MAF that throws the P0102 code i get 1.0bar on full throttle and the car runs just fine except for some small stuttering on very low load. If it was to be a boost leak or something like that i reckon the car wouldn't run to good under boost right?
Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 PM
pancing
Drifting

The part number is identical to the old MAF. The new one is a used MAF so not sure if its OEM or aftermarket, the bosch number is correct thought.

When running the old MAF that throws the P0102 code i get 1.0bar on full throttle and the car runs just fine except for some small stuttering on very low load. If it was to be a boost leak or something like that i reckon the car wouldn't run to good under boost right?
I get stuttering at partial throttle when cold ONLY.
It could be that you have a fueling issue or a maf issue or something else. If youre having problems dont get into boost. Why did you get a used maf? New mafs are under 200$. Make sure the maf is a bosch maf.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:13 PM
pancing
Drifting

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...FG14-V908.aspx

This the mass airflow i have.

And i guess they went up since i bought one but still when it comes to sensors always buy oem new.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:17 AM
Menriksson
6th Gear

I get stuttering at partial throttle when cold ONLY.
It could be that you have a fueling issue or a maf issue or something else. If youre having problems dont get into boost. Why did you get a used maf? New mafs are under 200$. Make sure the maf is a bosch maf.
I got a hold of this MAF from a nearby source, cost me $30 so hard not to give it a try. Although I will look for a new one!

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/...FG14-V908.aspx

This the mass airflow i have.

And i guess they went up since i bought one but still when it comes to sensors always buy oem new.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-15-2019, 11:42 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

If you get one take your airbox off and check and see if the honeycomb air straightener has become dislodged.
What honeycomb air straightener? There is no such part in the stock configuration (see PET)
Old 09-15-2019, 01:00 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt
What honeycomb air straightener? There is no such part in the stock configuration (see PET)
Thats the gt3 box

Theres a straightener in the turbo box
Its directly before the maf.
Did you open up your air cleaner?
Do you have a stock paper filter?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:42 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Thats the gt3 box

Theres a straightener in the turbo box
Its directly before the maf.
Did you open up your air cleaner?
Do you have a stock paper filter?
No it is not the GT3 box. The part number is 996...Doh! There is NO straightener. Or else let me know the part number. If you have one it is after market. I know EVOMs makes a straightener for their V-flow.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:53 PM
nelsontod
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 09-15-2019, 03:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

The 996TT has two components. A waffle air straightener disk (round black plastic) and directly behind that a mesh screen (similar to a fine window screen mesh)
Old 09-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,656 Posts

The straightener is built into the airbox. It is not a separate part, thus no separate part number.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:43 PM
pancing
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt
No it is not the GT3 box. The part number is 996...Doh! There is NO straightener. Or else let me know the part number. If you have one it is after market. I know EVOMs makes a straightener for their V-flow.

watch that video @ 4:58 mark, I don't feel like taking apart my airbox right now to show you but it is there.
I do not think there is a part number associated with it, it comes with the whole assembly.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/99611002170/
3rd picture depicts the mesh.

also have you taken it apart yet and found that it isn't there?
or are you going by exploded diagrams?

Quick Reply: Another P0102 MAF mystery