Kevin | TTW | The Turbo Whisperer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Evolution
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Kevin | TTW | The Turbo Whisperer

As if Kevin needed any more accolade.

I am yet another thoroughly satisfied Customer and would be remiss if I did not write a testimonial to add to search results for future prospects. Kevin had been supporting my hydraulic spoiler saga for a solid year (long story, he's been unassailable - a local shop did not handle with care) and throughout our dialog he impressed several key tenets that seem to come from deep within his core.

His commitment to his products and his Customers
Kevin stands behind his work. It's clear that he doesn't roll anything out until it is ready for prime time, so his confidence and recommendations are driven by information and substantiation. Combined with the litany of positive feedback from other highly reputed Customers, I found this valuable as a study of pure efficiency. Unless you change an input, his products and services are high end, high performance, turn-key, Customer friendly, and appear to have long, long lives.

He's an engineer
Anybody who has called Kevin for a 5 minute chat that has ended 60 minutes later know's that the guy has deep, foundational knowledge of the principles, physics, and science behind a high performance car. Additionally, it's clear that Kevin evolves with technology and utilizes the proliferation of information and tools to make his ideas reality year after year. More on this in the next section.

He's a walking Turbo Blueprint
What happens when you combine said engineering prowess and knowledge of every nut-and-bolt of the car? Some may say magic, I say optimization. As you can see from his posts here, other testimonials, or a conversation with Kevin himself, he digs into each and every system and nuance within the car and finds out how to optimize it. Who else has the integrated systems knowledge and tools to build industry leading Turbos and engine hardware, re-write ecus, and deconstruct & modify design flaws like our pesky hydraulic wings - and does it in a way that enhances without diluting the ethos of the design of the car? It's seriously impressive (at least to me - and Kevin can confirm, I've asked some extremely lightweight questions with regard to how some of these things work).

He can translate the science into the art
This is the real game-changer. While many may have the ability to push the envelope of a machine, Kevin does it with real-life use cases in mind, within safe parameters, and in fully developed Customer-first applications. It's really the entire package. He doesn't just exploit the Turbo's platform to build another fast modified car. With just Kevin's tune, the Turbo is still very much the Turbo. Just improved. Significantly.

What's it all mean? I'm just an amateur UMW client. But Kevin's work is so impressive that I felt compelled to write this - namely because a guy of this caliber is rare today. We live in a world where anybody with access to the internet is an expert. Everyone on Instagram is a fitness pro. Everyone is the beacon of mindfulness and managing the work-life balance. Everyone is Ina Garten. Everyone is the consummate entrepreneur. I'm sick of the competition for market share by amateurs who bring no inherent value to the table. Kevin has helped me with the spoiler and I just switched from an FVD tune to his. The sophistication of his tune versus the sledgehammer that was FVD (which is a well-regarded tune) and the elegant execution of the process and procedures to install are all I needed to experience to know that Kevin is the real deal. He's humble, friendly, intelligent, and passionate about his work, his products, and 911 Turbos. We're very lucky to have him in the community. He is... The Turbo Whisperer.

Super impressed with the work Kevin has done, looking forward to seeing what else he brings to the community in the future, can't wait to work with him again when the time is right, and now getting off my soapbox.

-Joe
The following 3 users liked this post by Evolution:
Freier (07-02-2019), ipman (07-02-2019), TheDeckMan (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

A very accurate assessment of Kevin.

I'll add his best quality; he's an exceptionally great person.
The following users liked this post:
ipman (07-02-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 05:54 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Agreed to all the above.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:13 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably the first, only and last time I agree with Doc. Good summation of Kevin and dealing with him! Man needs a Yelp and Instagram!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:27 AM
turbodrummer
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Excellent assessment of Kevin
Old 07-02-2019, 12:40 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
A very accurate assessment of Kevin.

I'll add his best quality; he's an exceptionally great person.
Agree completely.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Keo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodrummer
+1 Excellent assessment of Kevin
As with most posts on the board, won’t believe it without a pic to support them claims just kidding, always read good things about him.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:44 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,853 Likes on 2,935 Posts

I had a nice chat with him about a transmission the other day; I hope to meet him soon.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:58 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

OP beat me to this, but I was going to start a thread about him. I’ll piggyback here instead.

From the first call, I was thinking I was gonna talk to him for 5-10 minutes about his tune. Well, an hour later on a Saturday afternoon, he answered my questions and then some as well as gave me a brain dump on my recently purchased vehicle. I hung up thinking that I didn’t spend a dollar with him and he just gave me all this information/advice, free of charge. That is a rare breed in today’s world and I knew who I was going with when it came to pull the trigger.

I purchased the car in January with a tune but didn’t know who it was with. Discussing with a buddy, we decided it wasn’t good to have your engine controlled by something/someone you don’t know.

Two months after our initial conversation in April, I purchased his UMW custom tune and datalogger option. Nothing short of amazing here. More boost than my previous tune and from what limited knowledge I have looking at the csv files, safer too.

I have emailed him about a conflicting code I got that my scanner was not giving details about and he sent me directions from the manual stating it was an O2 sensor.

I just picked up a slightly used Europipe (one of his recommendations from our first call) and he told me it was a stage 2.

And he’s currently working on fixing my spoiler pump , basically doing a complete rebuild as it was jacked up in multiple areas. He works on it , puts it under a diaper and comes out the next day to see if any green pentosin leaked. Last I spoke to him, it was all white.

With so many amateurs online these days- and I don’t limit to Porsche, anyone can build a website, dropship and be a “pro”- his knowledge, thoroughness, exceptional support and being a great human is second to none.

When its it’s time for me to replace a clutch, I know who to call. When/if I ever upgrade turbos, I know who to call. My wife is starting to not like it when she sees “Kevin” on my caller ID, she knows that could mean I blow the Porsche budget that month

Yea, you can label me a “UMW fan boy”, but until you’ve drank from the kool-aid, you don’t know what you’re missing.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:23 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Cannot count the number of times of talking to Kevin for hours about cars/tunes/manufacturing. He is a fantastic guy that just continues to support our cars all a while educating all those willing to learn of the platforms. Glad you to read your review Joe, very well written!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:03 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

I want to Thank you all for the kind words. And Joe Thanks.. I have the best job in the world.. Bringing smiles and adding enjoyment. I have told many folks that I am a enthusiast at heart.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I want to Thank you all for the kind words. And Joe Thanks.. I have the best job in the world.. Bringing smiles and adding enjoyment. I have told many folks that I am a enthusiast at heart.
If you keep this up you will become the patron saint of the 996TT forum
Old 07-03-2019, 11:57 AM
TrillyPop
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

I haven't really worked with Kevin directly (he has exchanged a few informative PMs with me). But I think it's great that people like him get recognition and more importantly business/compensation for their passion/effort/qualities. Much better than giving your money to BBi or the like, who are more corporate and don't seem to care as much about the individual.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:42 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

True all above. Kevin is The Man!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

I have been wanting to start a blog with some content.. I have to Thanks my son Michael for doing most of the heavy lifting.

The first post is a DIY taillamp repair. For the link you can go to ultimatemotorwerks.com click on the blog tab.

Last edited by Kevin; 07-07-2019 at 07:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kevin:
ipman (07-08-2019), manimal (07-09-2019), Robinus (07-09-2019), TheDeckMan (07-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Kevin | TTW | The Turbo Whisperer