Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 09:51 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Squeal in the Rear

Hey all,

I just joined today and was checking out the 996TT/GT2 forum.

I have a 2003 996 TT X50 stock and a 2002 996 TT non X50 stock (added Baileys and GT2 intercoolers to the 02 though). Both cars have an annoying ailment I have not had any luck finding the culprit so I am posting here to see if anyone has experienced or resolved this issue.

At decelleration in gear or out of gear - however more so in gear at about 2000-1800 RPM's (usually in second gear) the car exhibits a loud metal on metal sounding squeal. Sometimes it goes away when I depress the clutch sometimes not. I have had the car in and was able to reproduce the sound while at idle - it seems to be coming from the power steering pump however two line replacements (thought it might be a sticking check valve) and a pump replacement on the 02 and no luck.

I am curious if anyone has heard this happen and if anyone has any luck resolving the issue. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a bearing beginning to bind in the belt train but upstream of the power steering system and the noise is being transmitted to the power steering pump?????

Your thoughts and input is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for the feedback!! T2
Old 02-15-2004, 11:14 PM
fm996tt
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a search on this. Apparently some people, including myself, have had this noise. I had the dealer go for a drive along and was able to show him what I was talking about. They could not repeat the noise easily but felt like that it was not something serious and wanted to wait until it became worse. I have about 1500 miles on the car and its the same has not gotten worse. I read that someone had similar sounds and it actually was the power steering noise. Go figure!! I have not taken it back to the dealer to see if that is the case with my car.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:29 AM
fish5225
Track Day

Default squeal

Mine was a loose heat shield that was rubbing somewhere on the suspension. Fish
Old 03-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Mike in MD
Advanced

Good Day all:

Found this post in archives: Any resolution?

I also have a high pitched whine while decelerating (in gear or neutral). Goes away only when I push in, then release, clutch when at a standstill.

I also hear it sometimes while driving so it likely happens more, but gets buried in other "good" noises.

Very noticable with windows down. (sounds like the cabin noise inside a 737 at idle, lots of hydraulic pump whine) Stops immediatly after clutch release.

Started at 20,000 mi, now getting worse at 26K miles.

My daily driver, so unnecessary dealer stops are a PITA if they can be avoided.

Any help or insight appreciated.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:52 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 48 Posts

Mike,

I have not heard anything from my end - am curious when there will be a fix - it just down right aggravating. Let me know if you find anything out!! Thanks for the 411. T2
Old 03-23-2004, 08:32 PM
TTRob
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my car to the dealer for this noise. They felt the culprit is, if I remember correctly, the Nitrogen Valve that regulates hydraulic pressure in the clutch/power steering system. It vibrates under pressure and makes the sound...when the pressure is released, it stops. It is very difficult to reach without dropping the motor, plus, they said even if they replace the valve, the new one may do the same thing. I didn't want them to go through all that without a better chance for success, so I told them to forget it. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Squeal in the Rear