Sponsored by:

Clutchmasters 996TT Complete Clutch Range

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:19 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,188 Likes on 3,167 Posts

Actually, I was being a bit sarcastic - I do not stand for folks screwing around like that, and I have total empathy for British Dude, and not just because I am half British...

A few years ago, 15 now, I bought the last Excursion ever sold in Canada. It had a 6.0, and, was most likely built on a Friday afternoon.

Of course, it developed some rather serious head gasket issues, and went to the dealer for warranty work. At the same time, I added some head studs, bigger intercooler, better intake, etc. etc. - all with the blessing of said dealership, and at extra cost to me.

Well, wouldn't you know that the day I picked the truck up to head back to Vancouver, I had driven about 400kms to Edmonton and all of a sudden, the tranny lights starts flashing. Fortunately, I was close to a Ford guy on 97th, so I pulled in and they informed me that the output speed sensor was clearly damaged, and apparently held in by a zap strap. The Service Manager noted this was not Ford policy, they documented it for me and said I could get it fixed in Vancouver, no problem driving it, and off I went.

About 200kms out of Edmonton, at 70mph, the transmission abruptly shifted into first which locked the rear axle and caused me to lurch to the right (on two wheels!!!) and almost go under a semi. My girlfriend at the time, sitting in the passenger seat, was none to impressed.

After I got it off to the side of the highway without killing anyone, I managed to get the transmission working, but it would only work in 3rd gear. Let me tell you driving a 10,000lb truck in 3rd gear for some 900kms sucks really badly.

When it was being fixed in Vancouver, Ford noticed coolant was leaking from the side of the block. Upon closer inspection, it was really bad, so bad in fact, the engine was buggered. This, as I would learn later, was due to a junior taking a die cinder to the heads and block to remove excess gasket material, and not the plastic spatula he was supposed to.

To make a long story short, by the time I filed the law suit I had replaced the engine, transmission and rear axle; the dealership that caused all the damage told Ford Canada it was because I modified the truck. As you can imagine, when I produced the documents (always keep your documentation) showing I had the blessing of the dealership to do the work, and was able to apply a little forensic engineering to the old block and head (always be kind to your forensic engineers...) I was able to chronologically document every failure and force the dealer to settle, with a little something extra because they were a lying bunch of gits...

The moral of the story? Work with folks, but when it comes time to pull out the lawyers, make sure yours carry bigger sticks than theirs...
Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 351 Posts

disagree...

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
nobody. worst clutch ever for a porsche
Old 05-10-2019, 07:56 PM
VividRacing
Former Vendor

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

As with anything, there are two sides to every story. Unfortunately in this situation we sold a product to a customer, he contacted us 18 months later stating there was an issue with the sleeves. Given that the customer had the product for 18 months and there is no way of telling if/when the issue was even created, there was nothing we could do. Unfortunately we were painted as the bad guy in this situation but I don't think any reputable company would refund something on an issue that was only brought to light 18 months after the initial purchase. We actually offered this customer a partial refund to help cover the costs of repair and he refused. Overall we are here to help you guys with good deals on parts. This thread is about Clutchmasters products for the 996TT and not a previous order.

Quick Reply: Clutchmasters 996TT Complete Clutch Range