Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo Starter Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:13 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

It's kind of amazing that I can order a starter at 3pm and have it on my doorstep by noon the next day with zero additional shipping charges and nearly the best price around....

That said, I drove the Turbo all over today and the old starter didn't act up once.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 349 Posts

Let me know if you want to use the lift
Old 03-21-2019, 08:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
...That said, I drove the Turbo all over today and the old starter didn't act up once.
That always happens.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:16 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I got a PM from someone with similar problem to the above, so thought I'd bump this thread with a bit of additional info...

Turns out the starter that Amazon sent me had the correct box, but the wrong actual starter *in* the box. If you look at my picture above, you can see the box lists the additional number of "0001 115 118" but the decal on the starter itself shows "0001 108 197".

This was also obvious once I had the original starter out... Amazon replaced it, second one had the correct box AND the correct starter IN the box, but while i was waiting for the replacement, I just cleaned the old starter of the heavily caked on clutch dust that was munging it up, bench tested it, and threw it back in the car.

That was two and a half years ago and the original, cleaned starter has worked flawlessly since then. The replacement SR0451N (0001 115 118) starter is still sitting on my parts shelf as a spare.

Last edited by pfbz; 10-01-2021 at 07:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Razzaar (12-27-2023)
Old 11-09-2022, 04:49 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

I was originally going to start a new thread until i came across this one with the video posted by @pfbz ...

I'm not sure if it's coincidence but the other day coming home from work, my low fuel light came on. I was below 1/4 tank and figure that I still had some range so would go get fuel the next morning after I took the kids to school. so the next morning, i dropped the kids off at school, went to vote, and stopped at the post office. As i tried to leave the post office to go get gas, the car would start to crank like normal but after a second it would sound like the starter would disengage and just spin freely (like it's not catching the teeth of the flywheel). i chalked it up to low fuel so left the car, got a ride home and grabbed a 5 gallon gas can to dump in. i figured that the angle of the way the car was parked, maybe the fuel was slope away from the pickup (picture below) for good measure i also put the car in neutral, rolled it back to a more level position and the car started.

i drove straight to the gas station and filled the tank with another 8 gallons and when i tried to start the car, it did it again. (hmmm maybe it wasn't a fuel issue)... the car did end up starting after the third try.... initially I thought air or vapor lock or maybe by running the fuel low i weakened the fuel pump, or exposed a different fuel issue... i drove home and pulled into the driveway, turned the car off and tried to restart the car (video attached)... i went out two hours later, car started fine, then another 2 hrs after that car started fine. this morning after the car sat overnight, wouldn't start the first time but did the second try (it was 40*F)...

thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8855.MOV (6.63 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by kamlung; 11-09-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:37 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kamlung
...I went out two hours later, car started fine, then another 2 hrs after that car started fine. this morning after the car sat overnight, wouldn't start the first time but did the second try...
That description and the video are pretty much spot-on for the starter bendix issue I had... In my case, I was originally able to nurse the car along for several months with semi-occasional "not engaging" events, but it would always engage on the second, third, fourth attempts. The frequency of no-starts and number of times you might have to re-try will increase until you eventually either clean or replace the starter.

I'll also provide an update that just cleaning the original starter gave me another 3+ years of service and then it started happening again a few months back. Since I already had a fresh starter on the shelf, I swapped in the new one this time instead of just cleaning it, but I'm sure I could have just cleaned it again and gotten more years out of it.

The starter bendix just seems to gum up over time with what I assume is clutch disc dust. Perhaps made slightly worse when using performance clutches?

Last edited by pfbz; 11-09-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Carlo_Carrera (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 05:56 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
That description and the video are pretty much spot-on for the starter bendix issue I had... In my case, I was originally able to nurse the car along for several months with semi-occasional "not engaging" events, but it would always engage on the second, third, fourth attempts. The frequency of no-starts and number of times you might have to re-try will increase until you eventually either clean or replace the starter.

I'll also provide an update that just cleaning the original starter gave me another 3+ years of service and then it started happening again a few months back. Since I already had a fresh starter on the shelf, I swapped in the new one this time instead of just cleaning it, but I'm sure I could have just cleaned it again and gotten more years out of it.

The starter bendix just seems to gum up over time with what I assume is clutch disc dust. Perhaps made slightly worse when using performance clutches?
thanks for the reply, i guess it was just coincidence with the low fuel at the time the issue arised... i was about to order new fuel pumps and pickup tools and tear into the fuel system...

i'll order the starter and swap it this winter while the car is down... it doesn't look like a terrible swap... how long did it take you to do?

Last edited by kamlung; 11-09-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:39 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the same issue. Local shop rebuilt my starter same day cuz they didnt have the correct one on the shelf. Very easy to swap once you are under the car.
kamlung (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 08:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kamlung
i'll order the starter and swap it this winter while the car is down... it doesn't look like a terrible swap... how long did it take you to do?
It's a pretty easy swap... I think much easier than a starter R&R on a non-Mezger 996. See post #2 in this thread for the factory manual instructions.

Only slightly tricky part is removing the upper bolt on the starter, you kind of have to do it blind by feel rather than seeing the bolt, and you'll need the correct size extension to clear the starter so you can turn the bolt. It's easier on a full lift than quickjacks or jackstands just because you can reach your hand UP while standing, but I've done it twice on quickjacks as well.

I could probably do it in 20 minutes easy once the car is up in the air with battery disconnected. Double that or more if you've never done it before and work through each step.

Still pretty cheap on Amazon for brand new Bosch OEM starter...
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by pfbz; 11-09-2022 at 09:14 PM.
kamlung (11-09-2022)
Old 01-15-2023, 04:56 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks for posting this - I suspect my slow starting issues are related to the starter since the battery and alternator tested fine. Inflation - this is now $306 at Amazon. How much should I expect to pay to have my Indy replace it for me?
Old 01-16-2023, 02:07 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
Thanks for posting this - I suspect my slow starting issues are related to the starter since the battery and alternator tested fine. Inflation - this is now $306 at Amazon. How much should I expect to pay to have my Indy replace it for me?
1 hour.
jpflip (01-16-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:32 AM
dalmanj12
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check FCP Euro. I have the same starter in my "Shopping Cart" currently for $286.49. Not much of a savings over Amazon but still free shipping. Will be using this post to replace my starter as I'm experiencing the same issues.

Side Note: Anyone in the metro Detroit area (Bloomfield) with a lift???
kamlung (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 03:06 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dalmanj12
Check FCP Euro. I have the same starter in my "Shopping Cart" currently for $286.49. Not much of a savings over Amazon but still free shipping. Will be using this post to replace my starter as I'm experiencing the same issues.

Side Note: Anyone in the metro Detroit area (Bloomfield) with a lift???
i finally ordered it from FCP today... got it for just under $300 including tax, and lifetime warranty helps...
Old 04-10-2023, 10:10 AM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

@pfbz - uncovered her from hibernation with the plan to tackle the starter yesterday... but ended up being a complete fail...

is there any other tricks for that upper bolt? i can get the socket and extension on it but when i put the ratchet on it, there is zero room or leverage for me to break that bolt loose... i'm assuming maybe a long reach ratchet with a flex head should help? when i put the regular 3/8 ratchet on it, the handle kept hitting the brake line.

any help before i totally give up and send the car out to get it done... oh yea of course the car started after sitting all winter too... lol
Old 04-10-2023, 01:42 PM
TommyT
Rennlist Member

I used a snap on gimbal head ratchet and the appropriate extensions

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Starter Motor Replacement