Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 06:14 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,893 Likes on 1,537 Posts

The Sony's are around $300 and installation is pretty easy...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:23 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

But one of my carplay beefs...

I love Waze and have used it forever. I have hard mounts in all of my vehicles and rarely am driving without it. I couldn't wait until Apple opened up their restrictions and allowed map applications (other than Apple maps) to integrate with Carplay. But now that Waze does integrate with carplay, I absolutely hate it.

With Google Maps or Apple Maps and Carplay,. I can choose if I want to display the actual map itself (along with the warnings, speed limits, etc) on my iPhone Max, which has a super crisp retina display, pinch/swipe to zoom and pan, etc. or the lower resolution head unit itself.

With Waze, as soon as you connect with carplay, it takes over the screen and you can ONLY display the map on the headunit., which is lower resolution, and zoom/pan is really hard to use. My high resolution Max screen is relegated to displaying a list of turns or entering a search address, which isn't typically what I'm using Waze for anyway.

And there is no way to turn carplay/waze integration off... If you remove Waze through settings/general/carplay on the phone, the icon dissapears on the headunit, but as soon as you launch it on the phone, the headunit still takes over immediately.

So now I've resorted to not connecting my phone to the head unit, streaming the music through bluetooth, and running waze in non-carplay mode. Really a shame that Waze hasn't either improved their app to make it operate like other maps (you choose what screen you want the actual map on) or at least allowing users to optional.y disable waze from launching on carplay at all..

Sorry for the rant!
Old 03-05-2019, 06:33 PM
rael
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm about ready to install an ILx 107 with an alpine PDX-9. I bought the wiring adapter out of the UK, and I had it all figured out but then sold my silver turbo, but I just bought another so I will install in that car. the alpine is a sweet unit
Old 03-05-2019, 06:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

When I don't know how to get where I want to go I use my Android/Google Maps with the phone screen turned off using just voice directions. If I know how to get where I'm going I sometimes look at what Google Maps has to say about the traffic along the route before I leave, and then complete the drive without Google's help.

I generally prefer "dark/silent" ops when driving; no screens on and no audio from the phone or radio/CD.

Last edited by Dock; 03-05-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

"Enforcement operations" and traffic, not directions...
Old 03-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

I'm not concerned about "enforcement" being out there along the route (or anywhere else for that matter).

The traffic generally doesn't concern me very much. If destination arrival time is important I just listen to the radio before I leave, and I may also check Google Maps. Or I skip all of that and just leave early. I can normally find a bail out route on my own if something pops up visually along the way. And pop-up stuff (non-rush hour) happens out of the blue in the greater Atlanta area; over 6 million people, and many of the ones who drive were never taught properly.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth