Sponsored by:

Cab vs Coupe Sun Concern

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 03:25 PM
kDub
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cab vs Coupe Sun Concern

I know cab vs coupe has been posted many times. I like them both and a long time ago in Maryland I owned a cab and loved it. I am now 20 years older and live in SoCal where it is more cab friendly weather year round however some days I notice the sun really cooks to the point i close my sunroof.

Has anyone bought a cab and later regretted it due to the sun baking them? Getting old sucks. :-)

Thanks
Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

My suggestion is to just put the top up when it's too hot for you.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...or if it's not too hot but you're being mindful of your UVA/B exposure.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:41 PM
kDub
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Dock. Not worried about the heat - just the UVA/UVB - i.e. sun cancer. I think I will just avoid driving between noon and 3 pm. Thanks!!

Old 03-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kDub
Thanks Dock. Not worried about the heat - just the UVA/UVB - i.e. sun cancer. I think I will just avoid driving between noon and 3 pm. Thanks!!
I'm not a fan of driving around top down in high heat and humidity (I live in Atlanta). As for UVA/B, I avoid driving with the top down from around 9 am to 5 pm all year.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:53 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

I carry a tube of SPF 50 + lip protection in the console. If you are going to stop & lower the top, you have time to lather up I reckon. I don't like operating the top while in motion, just seems wrong.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T Kono
I carry a tube of SPF 50 + lip protection in the console.
I carry a tube of SPF 30 or 40 + lip protection in all of my vehicles.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:21 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Hat & sunglasses are all that’s needed for most days..
Old 03-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by my04996tt
Hat & sunglasses are all that’s needed for most days..
Not if you're concerned about UVA/B.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:44 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,893 Likes on 1,537 Posts

I always found that the window of truly enjoyable cab driving weather and speeds was pretty narrow. Too hot, too cold, too sunny, too fast, stop-and-go all had me closing the top, and very little interest in owning another.

That said, theirs nothing like driving a twisty canyon on an early fall day with the seat-heaters on in a convertible sports car...
Old 03-07-2019, 10:18 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I always found that the window of truly enjoyable cab driving weather and speeds was pretty narrow. Too hot, too cold, too sunny, too fast, stop-and-go all had me closing the top, and very little interest in owning another.

That said, theirs nothing like driving a twisty canyon on an early fall day with the seat-heaters on in a convertible sports car...
The window of enjoyable cab weather daytime temp range is from around 64 to around 82, depending. In LA that's about 35% of the time. Evening needs to be about 68 and up.

Thing is, if you have a coupe, and it's enjoyable cab weather, you can't take the top down and a sunroof is a poor substitute.

Oh, and I had a small bit of skin cancer. The non-scary kind. And that's when I went from a coupe to a cab. Life is short.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:30 PM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm in my mid-50's (how'd that happen so fast?) and live in Southern California. When I was considering buying my red coupe, I made a promise to myself that if I did buy it I'd sell my 99' cab. I still have the cab. It can be 100 degrees out and it doesn't bother me as long as I'm in motion, the same way it doesn't bother me if I'm riding a motorcycle. High heat and mid-day sun in stop and go traffic is the only time it gets miserable going topless. Warm summer evenings in the cab is another wonderful driving experience that isn't comparable in a coupe. And having a removable hard top for a cab is another option that makes these cars easy to drive year round, and are typically on Craigslist and elsewhere often. I had to drive to Scottsdale to get my hardtop in Ocean Blue Metallic, but any excuse for a road trip is a good excuse to drive the car. If you're considering the cab, do it.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:51 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

I must say I just don't get it with the hardtops. Is it a coupe or a cab? Its a cab! Mounting a hard shell on top of a cab just seems odd to me, not to mention a lot of extra work(and garage space). Not trying to disparage others, but I really just don't get it.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

+1 For a cab with the hard top.

When i was looking for my 996 i was dead set on a coupe. But the dealer had one that was a 6 speed manual. Every time i looked at it i pushed it off. When the wife started searching with me she kept running into the same car online. Finally i decided to go look at it to make her happy (she wanted to help find the one). I figure for sure i would look at it and say lets go look some more. The moment i saw it i was done, but not the way i thought i was going to be. The next day when the dealer opened i emailed a sales guy and but the deposit down. It didn't have the hardtop so i looked for a while and finally found one close to Miami for $500.00. I drove the 300 miles each way and got it the next weekend. I am so glad i have both options. It's nice to have that day in Central Florida with the top down. But when i want to hit some speed or its chilly out i don't much care for how loud the wind noise is. Once the hardtop is on it is night and day difference in the looks and the interior sound. not to mention thank god the day the top craps out i don't have to park it waiting to fix it. Yes it sucks needing 2 people to put it on. But i wouldn't sell it for anything.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:21 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Fair enough. Our car seems perfectly quiet with the ragtop only, the rear tires make much more noise than the top, especially near the end of their tread life. I bought this car for a fun-mobile, and to me that means top down, plenty of opportunity where I live. (except this Winter of course, mucho rain & we had our first sub-70 degree February in 145 years.)

Quick Reply: Cab vs Coupe Sun Concern