Sponsored by:

Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:28 PM
lconn
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tune question

My basic question is are they worth the money and what you can expect with my current configuration. My 04 996tt cab is stock except for a Cobb OTS tune and a Speedtech 2.5 quiet exhaust. Again, I'm sure tunes probably are great on untuned cars but how much improvement would you expect if you have the same or similar configuration. Right now it usually hits between 14 and 15.6 PSI boost. Thx
Old 02-04-2019, 06:07 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

so, it's amazing how much performance gains can be made over OTS tunes. It's not about boost, it's about how the car runs through the powerband. I'd talk to sam @bydesign, see what he'd say about what you'd expect from a custom tune.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:35 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Yes, custom tunes can add a fair bit, though Cobb OTS tunes are darn good on a mostly stock Turbo as well.

But before going down that route, ensure you have fresh plugs & fuel filter inspect coils for any cracking, test and fix any boost leaks...
Old 02-04-2019, 07:59 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

tweaking a cobb ots tune on a stock car with only an "exhaust" will yield little if any *noticeable* benefit.

the reason they are ots and work as well as they do, is they are configured for exactly that circumstance. add stuff, then "tweak".
Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

If you are needing 50 or 100 HP or more turbochargers and matching tuning is the way to achieve that..
Old 02-05-2019, 09:17 AM
jdexter
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a set of billet k16s coming off my car in the near future if you have any interest... pm me
Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM
lconn
Instructor

Thanks guys, I will do some more investigating. Currently I don't have any plans for hardware upgrades so it will be awhile before there are any changes. One change I would really like, to see but isn't really available, would be a flash for the tips. I flashed my BMW 335i with the software from the Alpina version and it was quite a bit better for little work. Shame there is so little that we can do with tips. I would have settled just to be able to pick an existing program already in the tip manually (and start in 1st gear) but oh well. Back to engines, what would you consider the next upgrade that isn't terrible to do cost and work wise? Turbos are great but I would use little time using them as the upgrade is several thousand dollars cost. I chose to not get the X50 just because they come in 900rpm later and I spend far more time under 5000 RPM than above it. I assume though the hybrids etc minimize those issues, just a bunch to spend on a daily driver. What are you getting out of the billets? Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:14 PM
jdexter
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

billets are the most popular turbo upgrade because they make for great daily drivers. Spool is almost the same as stock, but I run 1.2bar. Its a whole different animal than stock turbos. Grab a ride in someones car...
Old 02-05-2019, 03:29 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by lconn
]One change I would really like, to see but isn't really available, would be a flash for the tips....and start in 1st gear
I completely agree... The second gear starts unless you womp the throttle or push it over into manual kill the tip/turbo experience for me.

Back to engines, what would you consider the next upgrade that isn't terrible to do cost and work wise?
After exhaust and tune, perhaps you want to address any issues with a 15-18 year old chassis? Have you done engine mounts? Freshen the suspension?

But if you do want more power, after an exhaust and off-the-shelf tune, IMHO you really need to either have some strong expertise yourself or work with one of the great Turbo tuners we have available to us to balance out your upgrades. E.G. fuel pumps, injectors, intercoolers, turbo upgrades, and tunes for example all need to be in balance. Come up with a budget and talk to several of the top tuners that are always mentioned here and see what they think.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I completely agree... The second gear starts unless you womp the throttle or push it over into manual kill the tip/turbo experience for me.
You have mentioned this a few times before and I am not trying to start a debate I am curious for further feedback.

You had a Tip Cayman, did you drive it in manual mode? How was manual mode not what you expected? How were you not able to keep the revs up just like a stick shift?

I find it easier to keep a Tip Turbo in the boost zone than a stick because the torque converter keeps the revs up and also adds torque at lower rpms.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz

After exhaust and tune, perhaps you want to address any issues with a 15-18 year old chassis? Have you done engine mounts? Freshen the suspension?

But if you do want more power, after an exhaust and off-the-shelf tune, IMHO you really need to either have some strong expertise yourself or work with one of the great Turbo tuners we have available to us to balance out your upgrades. E.G. fuel pumps, injectors, intercoolers, turbo upgrades, and tunes for example all need to be in balance. Come up with a budget and talk to several of the top tuners that are always mentioned here and see what they think.
Hi. Who are those top tunners you mentioned? Thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 06:06 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Kevin @ UMW (who posted above), Sam @ ByDesign, Markski, and Todd @ Protomotive are the names you'll see come up a lot. I'm sure there are others, but all of those guys have a great reputation as far as I know.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:36 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

talk to paramount performance or southern hot rods. the tip is a mercedes/benz trans and theres upgrades available
Old 02-14-2019, 04:31 PM
lconn
Instructor

Thx I will. Couldn't find anything at either site pertaining to tips though.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:56 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lconn
Thx I will. Couldn't find anything at either site pertaining to tips though.
the tip trans is a mercedes trans . same as a 722.6 m/b trans. those companies have been modifying them for yrs

Quick Reply: Tune question