Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on AWD ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004 | 01:06 AM
limitup
AutoX

Default Thoughts on AWD ...

I'm looking at finally getting a Porsche, and figured it would always be a turbo. I probably won't buy new, but maybe a 2001-2002 996 turbo. I'm just not sure about the whole AWD thing. On earlier cars the interior is just so "dated" that I don't even think I will consider any of those. The interior on the 996 is just soooo much nicer. So it seems that leaves me only with a GT3 to consider as an alternative - which obviously has no turbos so the upgrade potential is pretty limited. Right? This car will be mainly a 2nd "fun" car, not a daily driver. And as soon as I have the time I want to start hitting the track too. Now obviously the GT3 is the beast to own for the track, but overall no matter what I think it will see more street than track so the GT3 might be a little too raw, plus it "only" has 380 hp LOL. (I've owned many fast 10-11 second cars) So if I end up with a turbo I'll probably mod it before long. Anyway, sorry for the long post. Since I have yet to find a sales guy that will let me really push a 996 turbo, I'm having a hard time getting a real feel for the AWD. I'm hoping some of you guys here can give me some detailed feedback on this? The only AWD car I owned was an 11 second Mitsubishi Eclipse when I was a "kid", and while it was fun I just never thought I would want an AWD Porsche. But it seems my options are pretty limited. Or if anyone knows of any good articles, websites etc where people discuss the AWD vs RWD please let me know. Either way, thanks and I will be joining the community soon one way or another. =)
Old 02-05-2004 | 01:12 AM
MM951
Race Director

GT2
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:28 AM
limitup
AutoX

I wish, but it's a little out of my price range for now ...
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:15 AM
limitup
AutoX

I think a 996 it's going to be. After all, they are rear biased anyway right? With a little suspension tweaking I'm sure the AWD can be made to oversteer like a RWD right??
Old 02-05-2004 | 12:54 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

First of all, congrats & good luck on your shop for the new ride. It can be great fun deciding whats best for you....hope you enjoy yourself.

Your question can be answered in at least 20 diferent ways......I'll just give you one that's short....maybe a bit different. Regarding understeer, yes, with different suspension, adjustable anti sways, correct wheel/tire fitment you can dial out whatever understeer you want.

The all-wheel on the Turbo is very well designed (IMHO) .....as a driver, you adapt, almost forget it's there (except when it 'saves you', or perhaps keeps the car 'planted' when you might, otherwise, be loosing it).
As far as modding.......the TT engine has so much potential it's fairly easy to take it up to 550-600bhp. I have no idea your skill level but I've been driving & tracking Porsches for a while.......and I'd seriously question whether I would have near as much fun in that car (and if I'd still be alive ) if 100% of that 550 was driven to just 2 wheels.

Having said that........there's nothing wimpy about GT3 power....definately a (different) and fun drive ....w/out the 'sling-shot' kick-in-the-but of the turbo.

Best of luck
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:33 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

porsche AWD is awesome. i don't have a turbo 996, but my C4 has the same AWD system. you can also turn off the PSM and the car will handle much like a RWD car. if you ever hit any sand/gravel/wet leaves on the road, the AWD can let you keep going with hardly slowing down. and in the rain it's ridiculous!
Old 02-06-2004 | 04:01 AM
limitup
AutoX

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Anyone have a link where I can learn more about the PSM system? I'd really like to know how if at all it can be disabled, and how that works on a 2001, 2002, and 2003 if they are different.
Old 02-06-2004 | 10:15 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's a link (I'll look for it) that tells you more about the way PSM functions (more than you want to know).
Of course, turning off the PSM switch on the dash, does not disingage all-wheel on the car, and if brakes are applied (while the car is out of sorts) the PSM automatically re-engages.
Old 02-06-2004 | 10:15 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

it's the same system on all those years. there's a little rocker switch on the dash to disable it, so it's literally as easy as pressing a button. your best bet is to check out the porsche website for information on it. they have the best description.

http://content3.us.porsche.com/prod/...erodynamicspsm
Old 02-06-2004 | 11:07 AM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by GreggT

Of course, turning off the PSM switch on the dash, does not disingage all-wheel on the car, and if brakes are applied (while the car is out of sorts) the PSM automatically re-engages.
i've seen this mentioned a couple of times but i've never had it happen to me, and i've gotten the car WAY out of sorts with the PSM off. usually this is on purpose because i'm spinning the rear end around just for fun. but maybe i haven't ever hit the brakes when i've gotten it that out of sorts? i'm not sure.... i don't think so though because sometimes for the fun of it i turn off the PSM in the snow and toss the car around, and i must be hitting the brakes. there's a big snowstorm here in boston today so i'm going to test this theory...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on AWD ...