Sponsored by:

Lowering my 996 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:57 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering my 996 turbo

Hello everyone! I was looking into getting some H&R springs for my 2003 996tt. However, I keep finding different part numbers that are allegedly for the 996tt coupe. Which is the correct part number? Are the coupe and cab versions interchangeable? Also, anyone have some photos of their set up I can see? Thoughts on the springs by themselves? I’m just a casual Sunday driver. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-02-2019, 07:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

h&r reds ( sport ) is what you'd want. makes the ride a "bit" harsher on rough roads. but nothing you won't get used to. roughly - an inch drop.
im a lousy photographer, but this'll hopefully give you an idea of height/stance.

h&r part number is 29385
Old 02-02-2019, 08:10 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50

h&r reds ( sport ) is what you'd want. makes the ride a "bit" harsher on rough roads. but nothing you won't get used to. roughly - an inch drop.
im a lousy photographer, but this'll hopefully give you an idea of height/stance.

h&r part number is 29385
Thanks for the quick response! What are the difference between the red and the blue? I’ve found both. Also, are yours on stock suspension? Have to had any issues with premature wearing of tires or anything?
Old 02-02-2019, 08:36 PM
derrunner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know you are going down a rabbit hole, right? Having just done this (and replacing all the shocks with B8's since the originals were shot) I find the ride very harsh (could be the B8 sport shocks) on the rough stuff, and the car sits really low. I need new tires, but as it sits the current measurements from floor to wheel arches are around 24 and 3/4 inches to 25 inches all around. I love the look though. I agree with everyone who says to do coil overs - because you get the ability to customize height and dampening... with the springs it's one setting (unless you start using spacers between shock mounts and the body.) Of course, if you are only doing the springs you won't be out too much money if you end up going back. Agree with the part number 29385 - have not seen another option out there. I am guessing if you are a Sunday driver that you don't care about using stock shocks with lowering springs ... but you will find different points of view on doing that by doing a quick search.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:52 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Originally Posted by derrunner
You know you are going down a rabbit hole, right? Having just done this (and replacing all the shocks with B8's since the originals were shot) I find the ride very harsh (could be the B8 sport shocks) on the rough stuff, and the car sits really low. I need new tires, but as it sits the current measurements from floor to wheel arches are around 24 and 3/4 inches to 25 inches all around. I love the look though. I agree with everyone who says to do coil overs - because you get the ability to customize height and dampening... with the springs it's one setting (unless you start using spacers between shock mounts and the body.) Of course, if you are only doing the springs you won't be out too much money if you end up going back. Agree with the part number 29385 - have not seen another option out there. I am guessing if you are a Sunday driver that you don't care about using stock shocks with lowering springs ... but you will find different points of view on doing that by doing a quick search.

Are you glad you went with the B8’s? I’ve heard 50/50 about springs with the original shocks. Mine were just replaced not that long ago. I def want it lowered but want to do it right. Not sure which is the best route to go. My car looks lifted with the GT3 wheels it has on it. The turbo twists were sold by the previous owner.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:13 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by iceman030303

Thanks for the quick response! What are the difference between the red and the blue? I’ve found both. Also, are yours on stock suspension? Have to had any issues with premature wearing of tires or anything?
i believe that the "blue" are akin to oem and the reds ( sport ) are the actual "lowering" springs.
yes, you'll have have additional inner tread wear with a lowered car, generally speaking. this can be remedied with the addition of http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-por-003.htm WOT "squat" is exacerbated by the lowered geometry. it can be dialed out with the above links.

coilovers are obviously the preferred choice for cars that see a lot of track duty, but they require dialing in and fiddling to get the "desired" ride given the ability ( need ) to "adjust them" to your liking and driving style.

don't let anyone ever tell you that you "need" coilovers for a "sunday car" unless the sunday's are primarily at the track. it just, is not so. my car has been tracked mercilessly over the years with the setup it has now. no issues. that said, if i cannot SOON locate b8's ( its time for a refresh as my MO30's are at the end of their days ) then i will opt for ( probably ) kw clubsports or possibly ohlins r&t's as the only springs and damper combo i would use would be b8 and h&r reds and the b8's have been very hard to source lately.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Hello everyone! I was looking into getting some H&R springs for my 2003 996tt. However, I keep finding different part numbers that are allegedly for the 996tt coupe. Which is the correct part number? Are the coupe and cab versions interchangeable? Also, anyone have some photos of their set up I can see? Thoughts on the springs by themselves? I’m just a casual Sunday driver. Thanks in advance!
Have you considered RoW?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:46 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dock
Have you considered RoW?
what are RoW?
Old 02-02-2019, 09:58 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

ROW = "Rest Of the World" or Euro Spec. its only a -10mm drop. not enough. x73 ( factory sport suspension ) was a -20mm drop ( better and best probably for primarily street driven with sporty sundays twisty's etc. )

x73 setup is nearly impossible to source now 15+ years later

i still say the 1" drop with reds ( a smidgen over - 40mm ) is *best* for any dual duty street car.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

what are RoW?
It's the factory Porsche suspension for countries other than the United States. It lowers a U.S. spec. 996 Turbo 20mm (4/5") in the front and 10mm (2/5") in the rear. The ride also becomes a bit more sporty.

You can purchase the RoW suspension for the 996 Turbo here---> http://www.carnewal.com/products/996...or-996TT-Coupe
Old 02-02-2019, 10:29 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

i believe that the "blue" are akin to oem and the reds ( sport ) are the actual "lowering" springs.
yes, you'll have have additional inner tread wear with a lowered car, generally speaking. this can be remedied with the addition of http://www.torquesolution.com/product-p/ts-por-003.htm WOT "squat" is exacerbated by the lowered geometry. it can be dialed out with the above links.

coilovers are obviously the preferred choice for cars that see a lot of track duty, but they require dialing in and fiddling to get the "desired" ride given the ability ( need ) to "adjust them" to your liking and driving style.

don't let anyone ever tell you that you "need" coilovers for a "sunday car" unless the sunday's are primarily at the track. it just, is not so. my car has been tracked mercilessly over the years with the setup it has now. no issues. that said, if i cannot SOON locate b8's ( its time for a refresh as my MO30's are at the end of their days ) then i will opt for ( probably ) kw clubsports or possibly ohlins r&t's as the only springs and damper combo i would use would be b8 and h&r reds and the b8's have been very hard to source lately.
thabks for the info!!! Decisions decisions...
Old 02-02-2019, 10:33 PM
iceman030303
Advanced

Those toe links are pricey!!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:59 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Those toe links are pricey!!
h&r reds ( 350$ ) and the torque solutions i linked ( no pun intended lol ) are $450. that's what you need plus the cost of new dampers.

OR.. about $3K minimum. if you opt for a coilover setup. e.g. ohlins r&t ( what im probably going to end up with @ $3500? ) or the kw clubsports ( 4500/5000 plus install and alignment and adjusting ETC ) similarly priced are the bilstein pss9's etc.

a sunday car? without weekend warrior tracking? do the math
Old 02-02-2019, 11:32 PM
derrunner
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said, this is a rabbit hole.

You can buy the just the ROW springs for 450 Euro shipped, and if you want the B6s to go with, which is what Gert at Carnewel recommended, it was 1335 Euro for the set, shipped. To me that's pricey for a 10 and 20mm drop. For $1,000 more you can get the PSS10 coil overs.

It was suggested that these work great and are very strong for adjustable toe links - https://www.ebay.com/itm/GSP-ADJUSTA...53.m1438.l2649

Those are what I am ordering.

Of course, this all assumes you can do the work yourself, which I was able to do with mine. Labor, as you know, can add significantly to the cost.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:26 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

I recently installed the following:
  • H&R Sport springs, 29385
  • Bilstein B8 shocks, 24-068598 and 22-052728
For me, drop is perfect. Not too low, very close to X73 height. Couldn't be happier with the package, especially for the price.

My shop (a top Porsche shop that I'm fortunate enough to have locally) was able to dial in an aggressive GT2 based alignment without any need for dog bones or other suspension modifications. I did install new shock mounts and bearing plates with the new springs and shocks.

IMHO, If you are not corner balancing your car, you don't need adjustable coil-overs. Unfortunately the Bilstein B8's are a bit hard to get right now.

Last edited by pfbz; 02-03-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Lowering my 996 turbo