Sponsored by:

Lowering the Engine a Couple of Inches

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 PM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Lowering the Engine a Couple of Inches

I need to change my oil level sensor. I started to get it from above but my concern is putting the 2 oil filler tube bolts back in the holes without dropping them as well as being unsure if there is clearance to remove the sensor. I spoke to a tech who said you can just drop the engine a couple of inches to give you the clearance to get at the single bolt for the sensor (the upper bolt has the sensor and filler tube, so only that would be needed if it was lowered)

My questions are:
1- has anyone changed this sensor and can give pointers or direct me to a how-to? This is the oil level sensor located at the far back right as you look at the engine, not the oil pressure sensor
2- how do you drop the engine a couple of inches? The tech mentioned there are 2 19s that you undo and I am guessing you remove the air cleaner too. Is that it or are there other items to disconnect?

TIA.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 251 Likes on 181 Posts

Just remove the two engine mount nuts, and drop the engine 2-3” and you are good to go!
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 PM
ipman
Pro

thank you!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:28 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Just remove the two engine mount nuts, and drop the engine 2-3” and you are good to go!
I usually don't remove the lower mount nuts completely, but rather keep them threaded a few turns onto the mounts. That way if you ham-fist the jack supporting the engine, or the jack fails, or whatever, you'll limit how far the engine will drop and not put too much stress on lines/wires/whatever still connected to the engine.

Picture shameless borrowed from the interweb, and this isn't a turbo 996 (different exhaust), but these are the motor-mount nuts you are looking for...

Old 01-31-2019, 06:50 PM
ipman
Pro

Thanks, this worked well and was amazing easy.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:30 PM
nbressette
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure but I thought the factory manual allowed for lowering the engine to the point that it rests on the rear cross member.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:17 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

If you need new motor mounts, do 964rs using longer bolts and you can lower the engine to the cross member and still have the motor supported by threads.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:56 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipman
I need to change my oil level sensor. I started to get it from above but my concern is putting the 2 oil filler tube bolts back in the holes without dropping them as well as being unsure if there is clearance to remove the sensor. I spoke to a tech who said you can just drop the engine a couple of inches to give you the clearance to get at the single bolt for the sensor (the upper bolt has the sensor and filler tube, so only that would be needed if it was lowered)

My questions are:
1- has anyone changed this sensor and can give pointers or direct me to a how-to? This is the oil level sensor located at the far back right as you look at the engine, not the oil pressure sensor
2- how do you drop the engine a couple of inches? The tech mentioned there are 2 19s that you undo and I am guessing you remove the air cleaner too. Is that it or are there other items to disconnect?

TIA.
Ipman, did you ever get your oil level sensor replaced? If so, did you have to remove the secondary air pump?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2019, 12:03 PM
ipman
Pro

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Ipman, did you ever get your oil level sensor replaced? If so, did you have to remove the secondary air pump?

Thanks
Yes I did. Just take the two nuts off the mount bolts with a jack underneath to lower it. It’s tight, but you can swap it out. A magnetic extension would make this much easier. Don’t drop the bolt! Ask me how I know....
Old 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Yes I did. Just take the two nuts off the mount bolts with a jack underneath to lower it. It’s tight, but you can swap it out. A magnetic extension would make this much easier. Don’t drop the bolt! Ask me how I know....
Thanks!
Old 09-06-2019, 03:17 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Ipman- how did you remove the bottom bolt? It seem the old filler tube is held by a clamp, but the problem is the filler tube is keyed to a slot below the clamp, so I can’t Move the filler tube to gain access to the bottom bolt.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2019, 05:32 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Ipman I got the lower bolt out using a crow’s foot. How in the world does the oil filler tube slide off the metal mount attached to the secondary air pump?
Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Ipman, never mind I figured it out.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:46 PM
ipman
Pro

I didn't get the updates for some reason so I missed your questions. Awesome, glad you got it out. Is your oil level not reading?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:58 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

I didn't get the updates for some reason so I missed your questions. Awesome, glad you got it out. Is your oil level not reading?
I am trying to add a GT3 oil dipstick. Did you have to pry the oil filler tube to get it out of the key way? I slid the filler tube towards the rear of the car, then popped it out with a small screwdriver.

Quick Reply: Lowering the Engine a Couple of Inches