Unrelated Tire Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 11:07 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unrelated Tire Help Needed!

Hi All,

I recently bought a new Jaguar I-Pace to replace my X5 as a daily driver. I specifically got one with the optional 22" wheels because, well, they look sweet with the carbon fiber on this car. The factory tire size is 255 44 22 with a 103 V load rating.

I figured it would be like my X5 where I would just order some all-seasons or snows and put the factory Pirelli P-Zeros on the shelf. BUT NO! In the factory size, there are literally no tires I can get in the US that aren't summer-only tires...

There's the Pirelli Scorpion winter tire but you can't get it imported due to the tariffs with Canada...

Discount tire and Tire Rack won't offer alternative size tires as the car is too new and no one has taken measurements yet. I did talk to 1010tires in Canada and they did some quick calcs and recommended the Continental DWS in 265 40 22 with a 106 W load rating.

I'm bringing this to you all as I'm certain the Porsche community has had to play with tire sizing a lot more than the I-Pace community . Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for any and all help with this non-Porsche related request!

Regards,

Old 01-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I would connect with Jaguar North America...you will probably need as second set of wheels and tires for winter. What does Jag spec for winter sizes for this vehicle?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:24 AM
sgtpeper
Racer

The alternative wheels offered are 18 or 20 inch. However, to order them from Jag is 1200/wheel which is miserable. I really would like to keep the 22s on year round and avoid spending another 6k+ on a second set of wheels for a car I've had a week.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:18 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtpeper
The alternative wheels offered are 18 or 20 inch. However, to order them from Jag is 1200/wheel which is miserable. I really would like to keep the 22s on year round and avoid spending another 6k+ on a second set of wheels for a car I've had a week.
I went through this when I was looking at a Cayenne GTS. At the time, no all seasons were available in 21". There are plenty now. However, after I went with a BMW X3, I bought a separate set of non-BMW rims with snow tires from Tire Rack. If no all seasons are available in 22", I would downsize to maybe 20" for the winter months on dedicated rims. You don't have to spend 1200 per wheel. There may be a "winter sport" version tire available which is a compromise between all seasons and full snow tires.
A separate set of rims also keeps your 22" factory rims in better condition. The Jag dealer may even store them for you.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

High performance tires do not like being mounted/dismounted. Generally one is better off with a 2nd set of wheels w/winter tires. While the initial cost is high the cost will be amortized over a long time.

Also, sometimes aftermarket wheels of the same size are available and at a lower cost than factory wheels
Old 01-22-2019, 05:40 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

I agree, I really don't want to mount and dismount a bunch.

Hoping the 265 isn't going to be horrible and I can just do it once with all-seasons.. Does anyone see a reason that shouldn't work?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:55 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Hoping the 265 isn't going to be horrible and I can just do it once with all-seasons.. Does anyone see a reason that shouldn't work?
If you're referring to the Continental DWS, they are a good compromise if you want a single tire. They are definitely not horrible. My 996 TTS came with them when I bought the car. I have not tried them in the snow so I can't vouch for them there. They are on my TTS in the winter simply in case I get caught out when it starts to snow. I swap them in the Spring for full summer Yokohama tires. The DWS's cannot handle the TTS's braking or torque compared to full summer tires. However, if I had to have a single set of tires on my TTS, these would be adequate. The key word is "adequate". I'm sure they would be fine on my daily driver BMW because it doesn't put down the same HP or torque.

I guess it depends how hard you plan to push your Jag during the summer months. If you plan to drive aggressively you will find the limit of the DWS's, well before you would full summers. Personally, I didn't like that compromise on my TT.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Mostly referring to a 265 40 22 fitting what should be a 255 40 22.

I have DWS on my X5 diesel and they've been great really.

Oddly enough, the HP and tq on the electric jag aren't far off from the Porsche - the I-Pace has almost 400hp and over 500lbs of tq. It's my daily driver though so I won't be beating on it
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

I had the DWS on the 02 X50. They were great tires for road use, excellent in the rain, pretty good in the snow, handled and gripped well on the road (typically @ <50-60%). Did one track day with them and not so good . The one and only time i have spun any of my Porsches or other sports cars at the track (i might push to 80-90%+). They do not make them in stock sizes though.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

All season tires are really no season tires. (I have some on my Hellcat, the car came from the factory with these tires. They are inadequate in the dry -- course with 707hp even high performance summer tires would be inadequate -- and they suck in the rain. I have not and probably will not venture into snow/ice with these tires.

Really, if you live/drive in an area with snow/ice on the roads you really should do so with genuine proper winter/snow tires.

There plenty of YT vids of cars with insufficient tires being driven on snowy/icy roads. The worst of the vids are when a car suddenly loses traction and gets crossed up and drifts over into oncoming traffic. If the oncoming traffic happens to be a large truck and often this is the case, the impact obliterates the car (and probably some if not all its occupants). Even if the accident is not with your car but is in your direction of travel a number of vids show cars that fail to slow/stop in time and as a result become involved in the accident that with better tires the involvement could have been avoided.

The "humorous" ones are of vehicles just trying to stop on say a freeway off ramp and end up sliding all the way down sometimes in the process playing bumper cars with vehicles that have already successfully stopped. Don't let your vehicle be that vehicle.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:40 PM
sgtpeper
Racer

Where we are, as long as I'm not going into the mountains (which this car won't be) all-seasons are really fine. A lot of our winter is sunny and in the upper 40s. Snow tires would just melt.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:56 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,137 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Call 1010 on Marine in Vancouver, get some steelies (-1 or 2"s in size) and don't get all seasons, get some M+S snows; the Michelin's I just got for a 991.2 are exceptional.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm sure you can find an alternate set of 18's (or whatever) that are not $1200 apiece. Dub deuces don't seem appropriate for winter.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:30 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 347 Posts

+1 on downsizing wheels
but that 265 option 'should' work too
Old 01-26-2019, 09:39 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

22" snow tires are a bit of an oxymoron...

I'd try and source some 18" or 20" wheels and keep your winter set permanently mounted.

I found these Jaguar wheel specs, might make it easier to find aftermarket wheels in the right size, offset, and bolt spacing.

Quick Reply: Unrelated Tire Help Needed!