Notices

Clutch replacement price check

Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 AM
993GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1, this:
Originally Posted by 911mhawk View Post
Yes, ocasionally I'll put in gear if on a hill or at the track and don't want to set the brake when hot.
​​​​​Just wiggle the shifter before you start it, like I've been doing forever.
​ItsI nice to be able to start you car standing outside it.
and always want the parking brake to be the primary 'holder'
Old 01-07-2019, 12:09 AM
"02996ttx50
Super User

sounds like the le mans start to me lol.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:26 AM
docwyte
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a bit confused, why does unplugging that lower sensor make the clutch feel more consistent or the slave accumulator last longer?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:00 PM
manimal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
I'm a bit confused, why does unplugging that lower sensor make the clutch feel more consistent or the slave accumulator last longer?
I was previously confused, as well, but this post spells it out well:

Originally Posted by pfbz View Post
It's likely obvious to most if not all, but just to be clear... The improvement in clutch consistency with the switch mod on a stock clutch slave setup is from never depressing the clutch when the engine isn't running. The mod just makes that possible.

In stock form:
1) When the engine isn't running, there is no pressure from the power steering pump, which doubles as a clutch assist hydraulic pump.
2) The accumulator tries to compensate by retaining pressure from the last time the engine was running.
3) Depressing the clutch pre-start (required with the interlock) depletes pressure from the accumulator.
4) Without consistent pressure from the accumulator, clutch feel varies...
5) Couple the above with frequent accumulator pressure leaks anyway, and you have wonky, varying feel.

By jumpering the lower clutch switch, you simply remove the need to depress the clutch to start the car. Combine this with the discipline to never depress the clutch pre-start, and to always check for neutral before start, and you can greatly improve the consistancy, if not the actual feel, of the stock clutch hydraulics...

On my car, 60K miles on the original clutch. I had tons of variance in clutch feel before the mod. Probably needed a new accumulator. But doing the switch mod gave the clutch setup new life, and as I said, I used it for another year and was happy enough until it really started to go... Once I pulled the transmission, it was clear the slave was now leaking as well, so instead of replacing the stock slave and stock accumulator, I spent the extra $500 or so to do the full, factory style (drill, tap, new shift fork) conversion.

By the way, much thanks to Powdrhound and Cervelli Technical Services for guiding me through the process.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Oak
User

fresh pentosin flush/bleed keeps clutch pick up consistent, when ever pick up begins to feel weird a quick flush/bleed and alls good. along with the electrical jump I have no desire to update. I prefer the feel of the assist I can heel toe much quicker.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Dock
Super User

Originally Posted by manimal View Post
I was previously confused, as well, but this post spells it out well:
Obviously results may vary, but with my stock accumulator, and without the clutch switch modification, I haven't experienced "...tons of variance in clutch feel..." (reference pfbz's post you quoted). As a matter of fact, outside the standard clutch pedal stiffness when depressing the clutch on start when the accumulator went bad, I haven't had any variance in clutch feel at all.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Taifighter
User

I was recently quoted $6700 for clutch replacement and coolant pipe pinning here in southwestern Michigan/northern Indiana area.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 PM
"02996ttx50
Super User

OUCH! glad i sent my porsche tech pal an xmas gift. sheesh.

back to the clutch in/out "switch" the whole point of disconnecting it ( jumping it ) is that doing so will eliminate accumulator issues. it's the stress on that toilet plunger when the motor is off, and no hyd fluid is pressurized that causes premature failure of it. which is of course connected to the slave leading to... jumping the switch does nothing to the "feel" of startup or clutch "action" as once the motor is running, the system feels the same as it always had.

i have mine disconnected for years now. the only way i can "ruin" the accumulator is by regularly engaging the clutch with engine off. ( which is no longer necessary lol )

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: