Sponsored by:

PSM failure, ABS failure, drive to workshop warnings

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSM failure, ABS failure, drive to workshop warnings

Hi I seem to remember this problem years ago and it was a low battery. This happen to anyone else? Car is at distant location holiday visiting with wife driving and concerned with all these idiot lights flashing. Parked outside for 5 days. I think I will ask her to get neighbor at location to put a charger on it (neighbor a collector). Car turns over but wife says seems to be in limp mode...again i think it will do this if volts are low. concur? Thanks! Joe
Old 12-13-2018, 12:24 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

PSM/ABS warning lights can be many things. The best would be to get the codes read (PST2, PIWIS or Durametric). Without the actual codes we are just guessing. Weak batteries can cause a number of problems, so can boost leaks, MAF's, gas caps, etc.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:28 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, yes drive home was a mess. Sputtering badly and just stalling completely at one point rpm would not go above idle...i shut it off, waited 5 min and then it went above idle still sputtering though. Something is waaaaay wrong here. Checked battery voltage and its fine/not battery...so need a scan tool i guess.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:17 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

although a failing FP doesn't generally trigger the cels you mention, it sounds like a failing FP about to quit for good. that said, and/all electrical issues can trigger the abs/psm amber cel's. they are virtually meaningless in terms of any diagnosis. but never occur without an issue present lol.

you need to scan, yes. BUT..if the car starts and then DIES when you throttle? you need a new fuel pump. GL w it.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:53 PM
slomarsh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PSM/ABS warning lights

Just a thought here. Something similar happened to me. I do keep the car on a trickle charger. Took a drive of about 70 miles one day. About 10 miles from home on the return trip the PSM ABS warning lit up like a Christmas tree. The car ran ok but not quite normal and it did get me home-barely.. The problem turned out to be the Voltage regulator. The car was down to about 10 volts after arriving home. Apparently the voltage dropped lower than the minimum voltage threshold for the ABS/PSM. Replaced the regulator myself and everything has been great ever since. The regulator is a known problem with these cars. No wonder why- It sits just above the left turbocharger attached to the back of the alternator. Heat!!
Old 12-25-2018, 06:30 AM
88mmm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
Thanks, yes drive home was a mess. Sputtering badly and just stalling completely at one point rpm would not go above idle...i shut it off, waited 5 min and then it went above idle still sputtering though. Something is waaaaay wrong here. Checked battery voltage and its fine/not battery...so need a scan tool i guess.
This description and the warning lights points directly to the MAF.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Testdr
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I had PSM warning lights on whenever the PSM activated. Overvoltage in the ABS pump error code. I switched out the fuse and the error never occurred again. Weird. Saved me major bucks from buying a rebuild ABS pump. Just goes to show that any small thing can cause an error.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:11 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

If it’s a sort or random dash lighting up like a Christmas Tree, low volts can cause that, also a short somewhere. I discovered the latter when I was messing with the radio, and must have moved an uncapped cut wire from a poor install before I owned the car. I was lucky in identifying the proximate cause to the area I’d been recently working on. Would not have been fun to pay the dealer to find that needle in a haystack!

Quick Reply: PSM failure, ABS failure, drive to workshop warnings