Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to my X50 less laggy?

Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
Default How to my X50 less laggy?

Couple questions for the brain trust: the first is in the title. The car is great on track but a bit slow to get going on the street. I’ve read up on hybrids a bit, but most posts are old and talk about big power 600+, modifying the fuel system, etc., none of which I’m interested in doing. Lag- free 500-550 would be ideal. I’d like to keep my K24s vs entirely new units. I’m on stock exhaust now but have a 2.5” Speedtech.

Second question: My car has an EVOMS CPU upgrade circa ~2010. How do I know if this is a soldered on ROM or if I can just flash to one of the newer tunes?

Thanks in in advance for any advice.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:45 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

This is easy.. You can keep your turbochargers but rebuild them using K16 turbine wheels and K16 turbine housings. You'll gain roughly 1200 RPM's of earlier boost = more torque developed "sooner" Easy mod.. I have done "several" since the 993TT days..
You should be OK with the 2010 reflash. The chipset should be intact.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:33 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

-Make sure you don't have any boost leaks... these will make it take longer to get into boost
-Upgrade your exhaust from the manifolds back... that will get you into boost sooner as well as get you more overall power
-tune with turbos like Kevin mentioned would be icing on the cake

Question: At what rpm do you feel your boost really start to kick in?
Old 12-20-2018, 10:36 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Kevin, what would you charge to rebuild a set of K24s off of my X50 with the K16 wheels? I like the idea of keeping mine better than swapping for somebody's possible rust bucket cores.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:07 PM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but does that procedure turn an X50 into a non-X50 as far as the turbos go? Isn't that opting for less power? Or do I not understand as usual?
Old 12-20-2018, 03:28 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Couple questions for the brain trust: the first is in the title. The car is great on track but a bit slow to get going on the street. I’ve read up on hybrids a bit, but most posts are old and talk about big power 600+, modifying the fuel system, etc., none of which I’m interested in doing. Lag- free 500-550 would be ideal. I’d like to keep my K24s vs entirely new units. I’m on stock exhaust now but have a 2.5” Speedtech.

Second question: My car has an EVOMS CPU upgrade circa ~2010. How do I know if this is a soldered on ROM or if I can just flash to one of the newer tunes?

Thanks in in advance for any advice.
If you think the car is good on track, it's because you have enough road to let the boost run. My experience on track was coming out of slow corners with k24s on my stock x-50, Corvettes and big motor low end torque would walk away from me and then I catch them, ride through the corners and then it's another drag race.
To eliminate the lack of bottom end, run past them out of the corners and walk away on the straights, Kevin.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
-Make sure you don't have any boost leaks... these will make it take longer to get into boost
-Upgrade your exhaust from the manifolds back... that will get you into boost sooner as well as get you more overall power
-tune with turbos like Kevin mentioned would be icing on the cake

Question: At what rpm do you feel your boost really start to kick in?
Good advice, as is that to focus on the dynamics of the Porsche on corner exits (slow in/fast out). Of course, I’m usually tracking with other Porsches... Honestly, I’ve never noticed much power difference on track at least between the Speedtech exhaust and stock that I put back on for smog purposes. Another problem is sound: K24s must be a lot louder so even with stock exhaust I need to run with special tailpipes to avoid dB limits. K16 cars don’t seem to have this problem. People say my car sounds more like a jet taking off than a car on the long straightaways!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:45 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Good advice, as is that to focus on the dynamics of the Porsche on corner exits (slow in/fast out). Of course, I’m usually tracking with other Porsches... Honestly, I’ve never noticed much power difference on track at least between the Speedtech exhaust and stock that I put back on for smog purposes. Another problem is sound: K24s must be a lot louder so even with stock exhaust I need to run with special tailpipes to avoid dB limits. K16 cars don’t seem to have this problem. People say my car sounds more like a jet taking off than a car on the long straightaways!
What about your cats? Stock I assume? That's a big bottleneck.
Also keep in mind that just because your exhaust is louder doesn't mean it's making more power.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

if you buy hybrid 16/24's ( whether from kevin or speed gallery who also has been reconfiguring them for 15+ years now ) you'll eliminate the lag that k24 cars are known for. you'll lose NO top end, and gain on the low end with full boost available and nearly instantaneous from 2750 to redline.

which is impossible with a stock mapped k24 equipped car.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:14 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kmagnuss
What about your cats? Stock I assume? That's a big bottleneck.
Also keep in mind that just because your exhaust is louder doesn't mean it's making more power.
I’ve had a 100-cell Speedtech X-pipe on until recently, and can’t say I’ve felt much difference. The only real quantitative info I have is speeds at the end of straightaways at Laguna, and they seem to be within a couple mph (though a bit lower on stock). The exhaust/cats by themselves don’t transform the driving experience.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:49 AM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

I’ve had a 100-cell Speedtech X-pipe on until recently, and can’t say I’ve felt much difference. The only real quantitative info I have is speeds at the end of straightaways at Laguna, and they seem to be within a couple mph (though a bit lower on stock). The exhaust/cats by themselves don’t transform the driving experience.
Get it tuned with the aftermarket exhaust. Then you'll notice a difference.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:07 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

If you have lag your in the wrong gear.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
If you have lag your in the wrong gear.
This! Try keeping the car at 3k all the time.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
This! Try keeping the car at 3k all the time.
^^^ also, there is an adaptation period of the ecu to your driving style.
after running 16/24's and updating to the 26/24 throttle adjustment needs to be slightly more animated. ;-) deeper and steeper and also as 911mhawk stated.

Last edited by Oak; 12-21-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:12 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a few things you can do on an x50 that GREATLY improve responsiveness and lag. See testing I did some years back here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-feedback.html.

A tune+exhaust+wastegates+our V-Flow intake make for a considerable improvement in response and boost threshold on those cars and are all simple bolt-on parts. The wastegate upgrade is the real winner in terms of bang:buck, but every other component mentioned plays a significant role. Said and done you pick up a lot of power, and bring the powerband down a good ~500rpm. Once past 4000rpm, the response (time it takes it go from no boost to full boost) is much better as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to my X50 less laggy?